Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SimpleLife
    • By SimpleLife 9th Aug 17, 11:58 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 6Thanks
    SimpleLife
    Ex soon out of prison
    • 9th Aug 17, 11:58 PM
    Ex soon out of prison 9th Aug 17 at 11:58 PM
    My ex H and father of my two children is due to be released from prison at Christmas. He will have served three years of a six year sentence for fraud.

Should I start the CSA process now? He'll no doubt go back to be being self employed and minimise his profit to zero so I doubt I'll get a penny but nonetheless....

Given his track record, will the CSA look deeper into anything he declares or simply take what he says as true? I've managed almost three years without him (and frankly years before that too) so I'm wondering if this is going to be worth the hassle.....
Page 1
    • NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    • By NotSuchASmugMarriedNow 10th Aug 17, 7:51 PM
    • 545 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    • 10th Aug 17, 7:51 PM
    • 10th Aug 17, 7:51 PM
    Give the man a chance to get on his feet for pitys sake.
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 10th Aug 17, 8:53 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 669 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 10th Aug 17, 8:53 PM
    • 10th Aug 17, 8:53 PM
    I'd say it's worth asking the CSA ( or CAB ). If the hassle gets too much, you can choose to stop.

I'm guessing from the tone, that the fraud wasn't him trying to make money to better support you and your children.
    • WYSPECIAL
    • By WYSPECIAL 11th Aug 17, 7:38 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    WYSPECIAL
    • 11th Aug 17, 7:38 AM
    • 11th Aug 17, 7:38 AM
    Is there already an open case?

If so just tell them his release date.
    • jimd-f
    • By jimd-f 15th Aug 17, 12:29 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    jimd-f
    • 15th Aug 17, 12:29 PM
    • 15th Aug 17, 12:29 PM
    if you think there is no prospect of him paying you directly then you should start your case asap but this would depend on the ages of the children
    you will get nothing while he is in prison, but if he goes on benefit when he is released then you would get £7pw.
    if he goes S/E then the CMS will use whatever he declares to HMRC but this could be nothing until April 2019. they will not investigate his earnings but simply take what he has declared. it is up to HMRC to investigate tax returns.
    it may be difficult to get any money in the short term, but it is better to have a case open -you don't need to do anything as CMS will get the updates from HMRC on his income and from DWP on his benefits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

452Posts Today

4,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin