Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • makemerich12
    • By makemerich12 2nd Aug 17, 4:30 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 13Thanks
    makemerich12
    Interview dilemma
    • 2nd Aug 17, 4:30 PM
    Interview dilemma 2nd Aug 17 at 4:30 PM
    I've got an interview Friday and they have requested i bring my passport to prove i can work in the uk? I have another interview for the same role on Monday and haven't been asked to bring this along.

I'd rather take the second job if i get it but wouldn't want the other company holding my passport details without being offered a role,Seems abit odd to me they want such details for an interview not an offer?
Page 1
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 2nd Aug 17, 4:38 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 2nd Aug 17, 4:38 PM
    • 2nd Aug 17, 4:38 PM
    I wouldn't wear your tin foil hat to the interview

Does seem odd, can't see how it would be nefarious in intent though and wouldn't bother me.
    • makemerich12
    • By makemerich12 2nd Aug 17, 4:43 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    makemerich12
    • 2nd Aug 17, 4:43 PM
    • 2nd Aug 17, 4:43 PM
    i'm just very careful with personal information with passports etc just find it odd i have to bring this for an interview
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 2nd Aug 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 2nd Aug 17, 4:45 PM
    • 2nd Aug 17, 4:45 PM
    Perhaps it is just a visual check, if you are worried ask them not to record anything.
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 2nd Aug 17, 5:00 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    • 2nd Aug 17, 5:00 PM
    • 2nd Aug 17, 5:00 PM
    Think thats stretching it a Bit stating its a dilemma. You haven't got anything to worry about. Just ask for clarification what they intend doing when they have Seen your passport.
    • cr1mson
    • By cr1mson 2nd Aug 17, 5:02 PM
    • 761 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    cr1mson
    • 2nd Aug 17, 5:02 PM
    • 2nd Aug 17, 5:02 PM
    The only reason I have a passport is for job interviews! I have been asked to submit it a varying stages of recruitment process.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 2nd Aug 17, 5:04 PM
    • 15,142 Posts
    • 14,760 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 2nd Aug 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2nd Aug 17, 5:04 PM
    i'm just very careful with personal information with passports etc just find it odd i have to bring this for an interview
    Originally posted by makemerich12
    Literally the only info that they wouldn't know or have a good guess at is your passport number, which is only used on your passport...
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 2nd Aug 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 2nd Aug 17, 5:35 PM
    • 2nd Aug 17, 5:35 PM
    Why is it a dilemma? I'm on the interview circuit at the moment and 3 companies have asked to see my passport. Companies can receive huge fines if the employ people who do not have the right to work in the UK. If you are not asked to provide ID at interview you will probably be asked later if you are successful anyway.
    Go to both interviews and maximise your chances! There is nothing dodgy, this is perfectly normal. Good luck.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 2nd Aug 17, 6:02 PM
    • 2,865 Posts
    • 1,503 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 2nd Aug 17, 6:02 PM
    • 2nd Aug 17, 6:02 PM
    It's totally normal to be asked for passport and any other ID proof during interview stages, if so worried you can try and leave at home 'accidentally' so they sure don't see sight until you are offered and start, not sure how it scores on 'attention to detail' when vying for a job and are being requested to attend interview prepared but to be honest I've never seen an employer get so upset about it, it does happen people forget in the stages they don't have to offer you anything so just normally insist again in starting details if fortunate enough to receive these. That's my experience of bigger companies.

Anyway I started with a small employer recently who has never asked for sight of id documents even on arrival to start and requested my bank details by email which did make my stomach somersault somewhat. Definitely used the trust-o-meter on that one! Just shows these employers can't win whatever they do.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • SouthernTeeze
    • By SouthernTeeze 2nd Aug 17, 7:11 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    SouthernTeeze
    OP I work in HR and we ask for passport copies at interview stage also. It is purely a time saving exercise, for right to work in the UK purposes. When we offer a job to someone we don't want to waste time by asking the successful candidate to come back in to the office with their passport details. So easier to just ask for the document at interview.

We confidentially destroy the passports for those who we don't appoint,

Good luck!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 2nd Aug 17, 7:14 PM
    • 15,162 Posts
    • 38,000 Thanks
    elsien

Good luck!
    Originally posted by SouthernTeeze
    You did mean to say passport details, didn't you.... ?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • SouthernTeeze
    • By SouthernTeeze 2nd Aug 17, 7:19 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    SouthernTeeze
    Yes we destroy passport copies not the passports!
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 2nd Aug 17, 7:22 PM
    • 7,992 Posts
    • 12,244 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    I went for quite a few interviews earlier this year and at every interview I was asked to take my passport. So it seems quite normal to me.

Also in my last job, I worked in HR and we used to ask people to bring passports at interview stage. As other poster has said, this meant that if they were successful, we could process their application quickly. We couldn't start anyone until pre-employment checks had been made.

The details were destroyed securely for unsuccessful candidates.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 2nd Aug 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    As I did this a month ago ill chime in, I will simply make a photocopy of your passport then interview you, if you get the job, we know you can work here, no time wasting asking for stuff you turn around and say you cant provide.

If you dont get the job, we will shred the image of the passport and you wont cross our minds ever again. We're too busy to think about scamming you to be honest.

Dont worry about it.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 2nd Aug 17, 7:43 PM
    • 30,098 Posts
    • 19,052 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Originally posted by makemerich12
    Lose the tin hat.

The other employer may ask for the passport at a later date.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 2nd Aug 17, 8:38 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    All very interesting with you interviewers and your look at me im doing the right thing checking your passport attitude.

Out of interest, would any of you know how to tell the difference between a genuine passport and a good forged one. For instance knowing where the microchip is placed in a new style passport?
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 3rd Aug 17, 1:00 AM
    • 10,860 Posts
    • 16,223 Thanks
    gettingready

Good luck!
    Originally posted by SouthernTeeze
    That made me laugh... but Elsien spotted first
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 3rd Aug 17, 7:27 AM
    • 15,942 Posts
    • 39,732 Thanks
    FBaby
    Doing interviews take time. The last think an employer wants is to go through the whole process, choose someone you think is the best person for the job, to then find out that they are not eligible to work in the country and you have to start again (because by then, second best candidate has accepted the other job they'd been offered in the meantime).

From the employer's perspective, it makes a lot more sense to eliminate those they can offer a job to from the start.
    • SouthernTeeze
    • By SouthernTeeze 3rd Aug 17, 7:58 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    SouthernTeeze
    All very interesting with you interviewers and your look at me im doing the right thing checking your passport attitude.

Out of interest, would any of you know how to tell the difference between a genuine passport and a good forged one. For instance knowing where the microchip is placed in a new style passport?
    This is irrelevant. HR staff are not custom officers; we do not have the training to know whether we are dealing with a counterfeit document. We are given guidance that we are supposed to follow and that is all that can be expected.

We don't want to be fined £20K, so yeah hence the "yeah look at me I'm checking passports."
    • Cheeseface
    • By Cheeseface 3rd Aug 17, 8:24 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    Cheeseface
    I worked in recruitment for a health care agency. We always asked for passports at interview stage. We were taught things to look for in a forgery but it obviously wasn't an indepth education.

When I new to the job I was surprised by number of people would 'forget' their passport at interview stage. I'd offer them work but only once I'd seen their passport, many didn't return. It's often just the asking that can weed out the people who don't have the right to work.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

452Posts Today

4,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin