Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MarRan
    • By MarRan 30th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MarRan
    Where do I stand .
    • 30th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    Where do I stand . 30th Jul 17 at 9:12 AM
    Help! I have my boys every weekend one long.one friday to sunday the other is either a Firday or Sat night during the holidays i will have them from a sunday to sunday alternate weeks. Since my marriage breakdown 3 yrs ago my boys have spent every Christmas with me. I have continuously paid my ex a monthly amount. I am just trying to establish whether during the holiday periods I should be reducing her maintenance. She has the house, brand new car and holidays I am on the bones of my bum can someone advise
Page 1
    • NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    • By NotSuchASmugMarriedNow 30th Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    • 30th Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    • 30th Jul 17, 9:37 AM
    If you have them more than 52 nights a year you can claim a discount. How many kids do you have and how much are you currently paying? Also what is the relevance of her having a car? Don't you have a car? How are the children transported?
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
    • MarRan
    • By MarRan 30th Jul 17, 10:08 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarRan
    • 30th Jul 17, 10:08 AM
    • 30th Jul 17, 10:08 AM
    The relevance being she kept the family car when i left it was fully working and finance free used it as a deposit to get a brand new one on finance no i do not have a car ..... I have 2 children i pay 314 a month
    • elsien
    • By elsien 30th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 15,415 Posts
    • 38,690 Thanks
    elsien
    • 30th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 30th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    When your marriage broke down did the two of you sort out a proper financial settlement, which accounted for all wages, assets and pensions? How did you arrive at the child maintenance figure you pay now?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • MarRan
    • By MarRan 30th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarRan
    • 30th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    • 30th Jul 17, 10:19 AM
    Hi no we didnt this figure was simply agreed at the time I moved out I still own half the property our pensions assets etc were not discussed and still remain in limbo ......
    • NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    • By NotSuchASmugMarriedNow 30th Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    NotSuchASmugMarriedNow
    • 30th Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    • 30th Jul 17, 5:53 PM
    Does your ex use the car for the kids though? to take them to school/activities/your house etc?
    Overactively underachieving for almost half a century
    • WYSPECIAL
    • By WYSPECIAL 31st Jul 17, 6:51 AM
    • 317 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    WYSPECIAL
    • 31st Jul 17, 6:51 AM
    • 31st Jul 17, 6:51 AM
    As far as CM is concerned work out how much you would be paying via CMS. If it is vastly different to what you are paying now then renegotiate your private arrangement or apply to CMS.

If you want to sort the rest of your finances out you will need to divorce then apply for a financial order.
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 31st Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    Sambella
    • 31st Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    • 31st Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    Just use the calculator and see if there is any difference or not

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

1,428Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin