Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,758Posts
    • 20,753Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 3
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 25th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,753 Thanks
    Slinky
    Yay, should be getting a nice refund from the taxman instead of having to pay a big chunk on account next Monday. Had thought it was bigger but spotted a mistake by the accountant (phew, good job I spotted it), but money in instead of money out is always good!
    Last edited by Slinky; 25-07-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 28,174 Posts
    • 155,177 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Phew, glad to see there's a new thread - I was away for a few days, and no one had posted on the old one for days .... everybody's doing well, though, I like it! I'm kondoing weeds - my hedges are 95% done, remainder doesn't affect anything else at the moment, so I'll do that in winter. For now, I'm clearing weeds/brambles that are threatening my plants. And replacing jewel cases with those very thin plastic envelopes (means the existing storage will streeeeeeeeetch ).
    Retired August 2016
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 25th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 52,413 Thanks
    silvasava
    Gave my car a good clean inside today and binned the cr*p from the boot. Forgive me - I have sinned. I bought a small black plastic storage box with a lid to go in the boot of my car. It will hold jump leads, de-icer, gloves and an umbrella instead of them loose. I had to buy a new one mlud 'cos I've changed my car for a sporty model and the boot's much smaller so I cant fit the old one in. I did get DH to empty 3 bottles of car wash into the half empty gallon container he was using - just to free up some space of course
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 25th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 4,892 Posts
    • 70,505 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Today I made arrangements to kondo a sofa. We got it free off the MiL about 22 years ago and it really is dead. honestly, things don't last do they? She'd had it for around 5 years (though it was quite pricey to begin with). the seating has collapsed and it is only fit for the rubbish truck which is collecting next week.

It is part of a plan to decorate a lounge (we have two ) and part of the plan to bring home DD's uni stuff. the conservatory sofa will take the place of binned one - leaving wall space to put in bookcases and so forth to house DDs uni stuff in the conservatory.

Once we've decorated the lounge we will buy a sofa and replace the other in the conservatory - hopefully by then DD will have had a bit of a sort out. Ultimately, as DS is going to uni in September, the two children will swap rooms so DD has the bigger room and I am hopeful that much stuff will go in there.

All change in VJs mum and dad's house then (again....)
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • wort
    • By wort 25th Jul 17, 9:25 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 7,110 Thanks
    wort
    Hello all the newbies
    Nat21luv asked about an order for doing things, MK suggests an order, which begins with the least sentimental, I'm sure the list is at the beginning of the previous thread. Also in the book if you have it.
    A lot of people begin with underwear drawer, as it's a small category and looks nice to see all your smalls neatly folded, you can help others in the household especially children, maybe after doing yours. Hubby's usually come on side when they see how tidy every where looks and how easy to find things when they have a home.
    Dd2 has been given a cupboard from the guest bedroom as she was needing one for her conservatory. Also she wanted the sound bar, I was taking out, the less wires the better😊
    I will need to look at paperwork again soon as I need to sort through what I need to keep from the bill and household transfer into my name papers that have come.
    I was able to kondo the insurance paperwork as I finally received a payout for our holiday.
    Thanks for saving the old thread and sorting us a nice new one.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 26th Jul 17, 8:21 AM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 4,604 Thanks
    Fen1
    VJ - and anyone else getting rid of sofas and chairs- take a Stanley knife to the base. Seriously. When we got rid of our old suite we found almost £10 in loose change!!!!! A bit of time spent dismembering the wretched thing really paid off.

We cut up ours so that we could take it piece by piece to the dump. The cost for the council to come and take it away was silly. No wonder people fly tip or get gipsies to take it away, who then fly tip ( big story in the national papers at the moment)

I think it was on the last thread that this issue was raised. I personally would rather pay a few pounds more per year on council tax to cover furniture collection and make it free for all, rather than have the place blighted by dumped fridges.
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 26th Jul 17, 8:24 AM
    • 4,892 Posts
    • 70,505 Thanks
    VJsmum
    It was £16 to get it taken away. They would have taken the chair too for that, but we still need it.

Maybe I'll find enough loose change to cover the cost?
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 26th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 52,413 Thanks
    silvasava
    Any money found while cleaning or clearing belongs to the finder as 'Cleaners Reward' - that includes the £2.10 I found under the passenger seat of my car
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 26th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 4,658 Posts
    • 35,797 Thanks
    DawnW
    Any money found while cleaning or clearing belongs to the finder as 'Cleaners Reward' - that includes the £2.10 I found under the passenger seat of my car
    Originally posted by silvasava
    Same here
    NSDs for December 3/15
    Decluttering 13/31

• Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 26th Jul 17, 9:21 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 16,685 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I'm back from wonderful Canterbury! We had a great time, good b&b, and decent weather. We visited Goodnestone Park, Tenterden, Elham, Barham, just drove around the country lanes of the Kent Downs and stopped at every viewpoint and any village that looked interesting, Folkestone, Dover, drank foul coffee at a pub that called themselves 'ale and coffee house', tried a different piece of cake every day for tea , skipped lunch every day.

Rather unexpectedly, we went shopping quite a lot. I hardly ever go shopping, but there was a sale on in every city we visited, and so many good charity shops! I now have a dress that was discounted from GBP 109 to GBP 32, a Burberry skirt for GBP 2.99, and a white linen skirt with paillette flowers for a pound from a boot sale. Other things I bought are mainly for the house and household (apple corer, tins of soup, ginger and lemon teabags).

DH and daughters are still at my parents' place and will come back tomorrow, so I have time to return the house to some sense of order. I've already unpacked and done a load of laundry.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7094,49= £ 6309.50 Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 26th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 4,892 Posts
    • 70,505 Thanks
    VJsmum
    Blimey - DS would be skint if that were the case. he leaves his money lying around all over the place.

Siebrie - glad you enjoyed Kent. i am a Kent girl myself (Maid of Kent rather than Kentish Maid - depends which side of the Medway you were born). Unfortunately my bit isn't the pretty bit.
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 26th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,753 Thanks
    Slinky
    Argghh, having been happy about my tax refund discovery yesterday, the car is playing up again. It had an expensive repair last month and the engine warning light has come on again. The garage it went to is closed for a fortnight so I'm having to take it elsewhere for some diagnostics on Friday. I'm rather beginning to think the car will have to be kondoed. Was planning on changing it in a couple of years for an electric one but was hoping this one would last me til then. It's diesel and I don't do enough miles or drive it hard enough to keep the engine clean. It's an estate which I need for my work, but I'd planned on downsizing for the next one. Drat.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 26th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    • 12,240 Posts
    • 216,132 Thanks
    greenbee
    Slinky - I have a diesel, and now my mileage is low the garage stick some kind of additive in the tank every time I go in (service, MOT, new tyre, whatever). It stinks, but it seems to help.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 26th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,753 Thanks
    Slinky
    Slinky - I have a diesel, and now my mileage is low the garage stick some kind of additive in the tank every time I go in (service, MOT, new tyre, whatever). It stinks, but it seems to help.
    Originally posted by greenbee
    Would that be Redex I wonder? I'll talk to my OH about it, I seem to recall he used to use it in a previous vehicle.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 26th Jul 17, 11:52 AM
    • 12,240 Posts
    • 216,132 Thanks
    greenbee
    Would that be Redex I wonder? I'll talk to my OH about it, I seem to recall he used to use it in a previous vehicle.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    No idea But it stinks...
    • yellowbear
    • By yellowbear 26th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 357 Posts
    • 2,691 Thanks
    yellowbear
    GQ - many years ago I did a short stint with a publisher and was at the launch of a book called Totters Teapot. I didn't ever get round to reading it though! It's probably free on the Kindle!
    One copy, £17.00 for a hardback edition!
    If you have some, get them on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Totters-Teapot-Gordon-Savage-1984-10-16/dp/B01HCAH472/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501066588&sr=8-1&keywords=totters+teapot
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 26th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,531 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    The old huge slow cooker is going to a friend and has been replaced by a new small crock pot.
    That old guy cooked for 8 for many many years. Seeing as how there are only three living here now, I decided to go with a reduced size. I can't call it KD when it's one out and one in but I have picked up space in that cabinet.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 26th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    • 1,626 Posts
    • 2,522 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    The dining room is almost completed. Today I have sorted out the Welsh dresser which included washing the cups and jugs which are displayed and were black with dust! I was horrified and realized that its been ages since I actually looked at it rather I just dumped stuff on the top of it. I also cleaned the shelves and top. It looks fab now.

Next job was to clear the 3 tiers of the trolly! The bottom tier has been emptied and the folders on there have one into the bottom of the Welsh dresser as there was loads of space once I had sorted it. The middle tier and top tiers are still a mess but I have had enough for today.

From memory I think there is an old bedside cabinet in the loft. I will ask DH to look at the weekend and bring it down. I will put it in my dressing room - which is another spare bedroom and is a total shambles, but that is the next room on my hit list once the dining room is completed. I think that I will be using the bedside cabinet to store some of my craft items - I have started to go through them and have got rid of a few bits and pieces.

4 bags sitting ready to go to the CS - probably first thing on Friday. Plus two large bin bags in the bin (one before the dustmen came)!
    Getting back on Track
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 26th Jul 17, 3:04 PM
    • 15,360 Posts
    • 196,428 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Afternoon everyone
    Re things down the back of old settees we cut one open when I was a teen before taking it to the tip and discovered a dead frog it was completely desiccated and quite disgusting!
    So far today I have kondoed the boiler, water tanks and Emerson tank. Tank is going to be given to dd1 along with all old copper piping as she has an account with local scrap yard and its worth doing that rather than leaving on front apparently. Once the work is done I will have a nice empty airing cupboard that I can finally use as a proper home for all bedding and towels etc.
    I've done all the ironing and mending so I'm going to do some knitting now as I can't really do much else.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £
    SPC~11 No100 : : X4 O/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on Me before you
    xstitch challenge 63 Thumbelina
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • greent
    • By greent 26th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 6,504 Posts
    • 65,608 Thanks
    greent
    I've almost finished all the charity paperwork (need the latest bank statement to arrive and then I can reconcile that - should be here within the next week) It's all neatly sorted, filed and cross-referenced and has used up various stationery of mine which wasn't really needed, but I couldn't justify getting rid of - includes over a ream's worth of various coloured and neon papers (yeay! - I just have standard white and some lemon (perfectly acceptable for printing on) left now) and a whole heap of files/ folders/ dividers/ labels and the like. All bagged up to go in a large bag for life (where the stitching is coming undone) - leaving lots of room on the shelves and in the stationery cupboard (yep - we have a whole stationery cupboard in the home office - OH is a stationery nut.....) and behind the office door (where most of the paperwork lived in a heap)

Of course - I've used all the stationery that I'm not fussed on - I've still kept the *nice* stuff for me/ us
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,066Posts Today

7,600Users online

Martin's Twitter