Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,758Posts
    • 20,754Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 2
    • kittie
    • By kittie 22nd Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 11,369 Posts
    • 64,790 Thanks
    kittie
    brilliant. I have been wondering what to do with old tooth powder. Just crossed my mind that I could use them to scour and polish the washbasin

Today started with last night, struggling to see my sewing, the room was too dark with the light on. Lightbulb moment, change the white matt ceramic shade, done that, I have bought a new spherical aluminium/crystal shade identical to that already in my light bright study, argos, got two and cheap enough. That lead to me swapping several shades around with two to go out. What a diffence, not just in the light output but the bright attractive new shades that look lighweight and not heavy and sombre. Was a palaver though as the ceilings upstairs are high and the ceramic shades heavy

Now have 2 JL silk shades to give away. After the swap around, I put 2 round matt ceramic shades, with small holes in them, into the downstairs hall and gosh, they make such a difference there, more calming than the normal silk shades. Feng shui is at it again a bi product of KM
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 22nd Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 9,014 Thanks
    grunnie
    Thanks for the new thread and for locking the old ones. I have finished my KM journey probably about 2 years ago and still loving the results of the process. I am now trying to have a capsule wardrobe and have upgraded a few items. I am now very fussy about buying stuff and amaze my friends that I can now going shopping and not buy anything
    Did a bit more Km ing this morning. I was cleaning out the fridge. I emptied it, washed it out and dried it. But the huge crisper box had a crack in the side and the water went all over the floor and also into my cupboard under the sink. So a wet mixer a wet toaster a wet slow cooker and a few wet pan lids and baking sheets. All washed clean now and the wooden shelves scrubbed out and drying. Warm up here today so the back door is open to aid drying. Maybe time to upgrade my old mixer which must be about 40 +years old. I never use the toaster as I don't eat bread so it can go too and as for the slow cooker it hasn't been used for a while so all will be off to the small goods recycling at the dump. All suitably labelled that they have been wet.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 23rd Jul 17, 7:04 AM
    • 11,369 Posts
    • 64,790 Thanks
    kittie
    I realised that I continually do KM these days, without thinking about it or making a big deal of it. I am glad that it has become ingrained. It is my sewing room at the moment, sorting, cataloguing fabric stash and patterns and using stash, so that I can input more fabrics, all of which give me joy. I did KM2 on my pattern stash yesterday, KM1 was all about getting rid of those old patterns when women had what appeared to be 18" waists, yesterday I took out another 20+ old fashioned patterns or better still, patterns that were too large. I am liking my sewing room, it is bright, uplifting and nice to be in but like all the rooms, it needed that kickstart to get the energy flowing again
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 23rd Jul 17, 7:06 AM
    • 15,363 Posts
    • 196,451 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Thank you for the new thread.
    I hope everyone is well sorry I've not been in for a while, I've recently reread the book and it has renewed my ambition to Kondo my excess stuff.
    We are kindoing the old boiler this week so are doing some preliminary decluttering in preparation for that. An excess storage plinth has been removed from the lounge, it was a large tv stand with storage under it served its purpose well for several years but now seems to have turned into a storage/clutter magnet.
    Paperwork seems to be the area I've found myself back in, spent yesterday going through old mags and paperwork but want to revisit books as there are lots the CS can have that I know I won't reread.
    grocery challenge November budget £400 spent £
    SPC~11 No100 : : X4 O/t fund so far
    read your books challenge-currently on Me before you
    xstitch challenge 63 Thumbelina
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 23rd Jul 17, 8:15 AM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 28,184 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I have been using my available "spoons" for kondoing the garden, it is good to have a little more energy and feels so wonderful to be out there pootling around, deadheading, digging up weeds and either moving things to better locations or plotting the same.

OH is talking about Kondoing our excess camping stuff, but unless he gets his rear in gear he will be too late again for this holiday season, not sure what he wants to sell and what might go on freegle (sale will be down to him, freegle left to me
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 23rd Jul 17, 7:18 PM
    • 4,758 Posts
    • 20,754 Thanks
    Slinky
    More paperwork got rid of, I think this really is the worst category to have to deal with. So many decisions about whether stuff is important or not.

Decided to Kondo a bank account I opened for the business as I was told I was going to be charged on my old account. Took about 4 months to open the account by which time the original bank said the charges letter was a mistake and I still have free banking. So much paperwork for the new account, and I'd forgotten the answers to the security questions they took so long to open the account. So I've never put any money into it. Have decided to close the account and get rid of the paperwork which has shifted a lot of clutter off the top of a cabinet.
    • greent
    • By greent 24th Jul 17, 11:28 AM
    • 6,505 Posts
    • 65,655 Thanks
    greent
    Am re-visiting paperwork - clearing out all the paperwork related to the charity I no longer volunteer for has re-inspired me with 'our' paperwork (and I also think I was 'stuck' with paperwork because of the mountain of charity stuff, which overwhelmed me) It's all in the office (bar the current company folders, which are fully up to date) so I'm working my way around it (the office), tackling paperwork and stationery at the same time. Two filing drawers re-visited last night and some paperwork put in recycling as a result. More will be tackled throughout the week. The main problem in there is all OH's paperwork, though. His is just work-related (and a small box of personal/ sentimental) - 'mine' is all household stuff, all family records, all company stuff, all personal tax stuff for me, OH and DD... yet his is about 6x the volume of mine......
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1259.72/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1870/2017 items
    • MrsPorridge
    • By MrsPorridge 24th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 1,626 Posts
    • 2,522 Thanks
    MrsPorridge
    Once a year I bring the shredder home from work (only a small one) for it's Christmas holidays - then DH and I spend an afternoon going through and shredding all the paperwork - have done this for about 6 years now. It feels great and even though I'm new to KM my paperwork is already in order.
    Getting back on Track
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 24th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 28,184 Thanks
    maddiemay
    One large and heavy bag of books taken to CS this morning, OH said his arms feel inches longer now

While he was out I visited the room of doom/dumping ground/3rd bedroom and filled 1 bag with clothes and another with no longer needed evening bags and small "special occasion" bags, some were bought from CS, others gifts, but as we no longer go to do's that require me to dress up (thank goodness) they can go. Going to do another scan of the book cases and hopefully release a load more soon.
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 24th Jul 17, 2:41 PM
    • 15,363 Posts
    • 196,451 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    I've passed my copy of the book onto dd2 who really struggles to let go of things it has been a revelation apparently 5 carfulls of stuff went to the local CS during the week and she looked so much happier at the weekend as she bounded in with a huge amount of megabloks that are to be offered to preschool ad after care clubs this way or to be taken to the CS this way. Books and DVDs were always her biggest problem but she is even passing large amounts of those on that she doesn't know why she kept.
    Seven recycling bags of paper went out over the weekend plus two black bags I'm o ly allowed to put out three a week so can't dispose of nything other thN house waste that way now till after Friday. We also have three large boxes that will be CS bound at the weekend.
    The new boiler and associated stuff will be delivered tomorrow so old boiler will be kondoed by the weekend.
    The summer hols have proved to be a great Kondo restart for me and I'm sure the house will start to look much better for it all soon.
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • Aimee Corlett
    • By Aimee Corlett 24th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Aimee Corlett
    I love The Magic of Tidying! Thanks for this thread.

I would love to hear any stories about people regretting things they've got rid of - I only have one regret, and that's giving up an acoustic guitar that my dad got me - but admittedly I never used it and it was taking up space!

Deffo will keep up with it but can anyoen sympathise??
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 24th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 15,363 Posts
    • 196,451 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    I can sympathise Aimee but as Marie says if once you've finished kondoing and there's something you really wanted are it needed to be in your life you will find another guitar and start playing again.
    Inallhonestly I can't think of anything I've got rid of so far that I would have preferred to keep to the space and decluttered look my home is getting.
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 24th Jul 17, 5:17 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,593 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Afternoon all.

Took a bag of donations to work with me so I could drop them off at the chazzer on the way home, I love shopping in reverse, don't you?

There must be something in the air because friend and neighbour SuperGran was chatting to me on the phone just now and telling me that her (normally immaculate and slightly-spartan) flat is a bit of a mess now as she is going through paperwork and clothing. She is also shredding a lot of stuff related to a former commitment, and happy about that.

I have temporarily acquired a few things which are in process of being upcycled and which will be offered for sale later next month. Feel a bit of a hypocrite as a kondo-ista on the acquisition side, but they're not keepers, so I guess that doesn't really count, hmmm?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 24th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,531 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    GQ any time you can make money with free stuff is a winner winner chicken dinner in my book!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 24th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 11,426 Posts
    • 219,593 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    GQ any time you can make money with free stuff is a winner winner chicken dinner in my book!
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney
    Thanks. There's a very old English word; totting. Means retrieving rubbish for gain. Totter (noun) one who tots. Mostly obsolete, apart from a limited survival in describing something as a load of old tot (sometimes tatt or toot).

Actually, because I went to get a small can of woodstain from my storage shed and found that it had solidified, that has made a sharp exit. Not too upset, there was very little left and the whole can had come to me third-hand anyway.

I am now doing a small mending job on one of those umbrella-type mesh flycovers for your plated food. I could have bought a new one for £1.99 but that would have just resulted in the existing item ending in the bin, which sits ill with me.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 25th Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 7,327 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I did some digital decluttering this morning. I went through my e-mails and bookmarked the links on the few I wanted to keep and deleted all the rest.

I also dropped some bottles at a bottle bank and then went through the fridge when I got home to see what needs using up in the next few days.

I was up early today, 4.20. I thought I might as well do something useful.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 25th Jul 17, 9:40 AM
    • 3,290 Posts
    • 52,431 Thanks
    silvasava
    GQ - many years ago I did a short stint with a publisher and was at the launch of a book called Totters Teapot. I didn't ever get round to reading it though! It's probably free on the Kindle!
    Hoping to get rid of the dressing table and side table to my friend this week. Need to advertise the large 3 way coolbox that's in the loft too. We've been busy these last few weeks and I need to get my stuff moving out.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 25th Jul 17, 9:58 AM
    • 1,028 Posts
    • 23,170 Thanks
    MMF007
    Everyone is doing well !

I was just popping my (small) make up bag away this morning when I realised that 2 bottles of nail polish have sneaked onto my bedside cabinet and been lurking for a good few weeks. I had emptied them out of said make up bag, wondering what to do about them. It is at least 3 years since I used nail polish but I didn't release them in KM1 ?!
    Today was the right day!
    I put a coat on each pinky, realised the one I was not kean on is great and binned the other.
    Two tinted lip salves went the same way

Feels good.

Have a mixed bag of other Stuff to take to CS tomorrow morning. I thought i had the morning free (fortnightly client's week off, as it were) but have managed to book in plenty of chores and also coffee with elderly friend. Friend was going to walk into the village but the forecast is pouring rain so I shall go and pick her up
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • emmwri
    • By emmwri 25th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    emmwri
    Went to a Sunday Eucharist on St Michaels Mount and the KonMarie method had even found it's way into the sermon, the congregation being given a lesson de cluttering based on what does/doesn't bring you joy

I've heard of the book and I'm a terrible hoarder, we moved to a smaller house 10 months ago and done packing boxes were full of paperwork or old boxes from the previous move 3 years before that it drives OH mad and our rooms are overflowing with stuff. I think I may need to get this book from the library. It's finding the time to do it as well...
    Aug 2017 GC Budget £180
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 25th Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 15,363 Posts
    • 196,451 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    Morning all
    Dh kondoed a bottle of solidified glue last night and then found another usable one to mend sd1s broken glasses.
    17in 2017 challenge 3/17
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

227Posts Today

1,423Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin