Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,194Posts
    • 29,293Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £585.59
Page 1
    • karcher
    • By karcher 18th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 12,950 Thanks
    karcher
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    Thank you Knit Witch

Maybe a BG can lock the old one ...Zippy are you there please
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 18th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 47,969 Thanks
    Jazee
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    Thanks Knitwitch. Looking forward to keeping up with you all here.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) December £355 Total £12694.84/£12000

• karcher
    • By karcher 18th Jul 17, 10:42 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 12,950 Thanks
    karcher
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:42 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:42 PM
    Ok, so back on track..I worried about the unfortunate incident of the 'Elephant in the Freezer'.....

Did he out grow the Room or had the monkeys invaded?

IMHO, Even more reason for a sturdy/reinforced Garden Fence
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 18th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 9,433 Posts
    • 55,682 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 10:49 PM
    Yippee! A nice shiny new Garden Fence! Anyone got any gossip?
    Debt free date.....3 August 2015
    Now building up a Doomsday Cash Stash
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Jul 17, 6:58 AM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,013 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 19th Jul 17, 6:58 AM
    • 19th Jul 17, 6:58 AM
    The elephant is currently foraging in the biscuit tin, on his holidays but is reported to be very well and enjoying it very much!!! The monkeys haven't worked out yet how to get in there with him, which is a very good thing as the world would rapidly run out of rich tea biscuits if they did!!!
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 19th Jul 17, 7:26 AM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 40,034 Thanks
    monnagran
    • 19th Jul 17, 7:26 AM
    • 19th Jul 17, 7:26 AM
    I have it on good authority that the elephant has put on weight due to over consumption of rich teas and d igestives. Consequently it has burst the seams of the biscuit tin and is now on the loose and looking for a fresh supply of food.

I am keeping my cake tin in a reinforced, booby-trapped safe.

The monkeys are still clearing up the biscuit crumbs.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • simplelivingcottage
    • By simplelivingcottage 19th Jul 17, 8:54 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    simplelivingcottage
    • 19th Jul 17, 8:54 AM
    • 19th Jul 17, 8:54 AM
    Another new thread, just as I'm reading through the old one! Thought I would pop up and see about ticking along on this one to, it's always good to natter
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 19th Jul 17, 9:01 AM
    • 4,992 Posts
    • 52,317 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    • 19th Jul 17, 9:01 AM
    • 19th Jul 17, 9:01 AM
    Thanks again for the new thread Knit Witch

Well, i'd expected to be getting the bins in this morning in my wellies, but the sun's come out!t
    • lillibet dripping
    • By lillibet dripping 19th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 12,478 Thanks
    lillibet dripping
    Did anybody think to bring the Register to check we're all here?
    [DFW Nerd club #1142Proud to be dealing with my debtDMP start date April 2012. Amount £21862April 2013 = £20414 April 2014 = £11000 April 2015 = £9500 April 2016 = £7200
    DECEMBER 2016 - Due to moving house/down-sizing NO MORTGAGE; NO OVERDRAFT; NO DEBTS; NO CREDIT CARDS; NO STORE-CARDS; NO LOANS = FREEDOM
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 19th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Good morning Fencers 2nd edition . Please tell me this doesn't mean we have to repaint our bit of the fence . No energy , no spoons and singing the rain song croaky but with intent . If you have rain NM ,FPK or anyone blow it to the west coast please .
    Welcome to Simplelivingcottage and any friends I've missed .
    If I was to say I last really absorbed any posts at the end of May you may understand how I am pretty unaware of most peoples news .

I can't comment on much but see FPK is now merrily settled in her new home . Enjoy !
    NM I've just read the first week or so in June and am so happy to read your news then from the Christie - long may it be so .
    I also noticed the news about the heating so that deserves a wonky happy dance , when I said I was sending the vibes for a solution I really was . xx

I should stand a chance of keeping up now ( there I've jinxed it now !!! )
    Take care all
    polly
    • FairyPrincessk
    • By FairyPrincessk 19th Jul 17, 10:20 AM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 22,644 Thanks
    FairyPrincessk
    Morning all,

Bright shiny new thread, thanks Knitwitch and another thanks to Nuatha for the previous one, as well as a thanks to Fuddle who I think coined the garden fence title.

I've been busy. I have about 1/3 of a box of bilberries and hoping to make another foray today or tomorrow to hopefully have enough for jam. I've also got 2/3 of the lawn mowed. No mean feat as we've gone for an old fashioned rotary mower given extension lead and storage complications. It will be much easier when I finish mowing the forest that sprung up while we hemmed and hawed about what to do. I've also cleared some of the brambles and stinging nettles near areas where we walk but I may not bother with those behind trees etc. The birds have been eating the apples, or rather pecking one or two times at them, pushing them out of the tree and then moving on to the next ones like petulant toddlers. I've collected a bowlful. No idea if they're ripe enough for apple butter or crab apple jelly or not, but may give a small batch a go if I get time before we visit mum and dad.

I've still not had official confirmation of my new job yet. I know they've checked references, I think it is just waiting for someone Important to sign off on it.

OH are booked in at the local leisure centre for a pilates class tonight. I'm also making Delia's chilladas for tea so I'd better get the bulk of those made up at lunch so we can eat before we go.

Pollyanna, we have lots of threatening clouds and it was very windy yesterday and overnight, but no rain yet. I expect we'll get more than our fair share this evening so I'll try to send some along.

I hope all are well and big hugs to those who need them.xx
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,013 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I think the glitch is fixed, I just logged in and got straight here and in the old format too! Many thanks to whoever fixed the problems, it was a little annoying having to log in every time I wanted to natter.

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 19th Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    • 9,342 Posts
    • 17,803 Thanks
    zippychick
    Knit Witch, please copy and paste this into your first post of it helps you
    If you need help just shout xx

From here.....

The old thread has now been closed so welcome to our shiny new thread

Some useful links

The OS Doorstep - a helpful and supportive thread.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 19th Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    • 4,992 Posts
    • 52,317 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    thank you zippychick!

Amazing to see how long these threads have been running!

Hello again simplelivingcottage, how nice that you've joined us over here as well

Just been back to the opticians AGAIN to get my glasses adjusted AGAIN *rolls eyes* The dispensers are trying so hard for me, so hopefully the latest adjustment has done the trick.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 19th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 9,342 Posts
    • 17,803 Thanks
    zippychick
    isn't it? i'm trying to create back histories for all the new ones. the weight loss one has ten!!!
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• simplelivingcottage
    • By simplelivingcottage 19th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    simplelivingcottage
    Hello again too @ivyleaf I think I'm just dipping my toes into everything!! I'm just loving reading the back posts and know it's something I want to add to in the future. Plus all these new threads are helping
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 19th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 32,273 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Good afternoon. Can I join your shiny new thread too?

I tend to mostly post on the Cooking for One thread nowadays but have been reading this one for ages. So a bit about me. I live alone following the death of my hubby in 2012 when I was just 46. My children are all grown up now, daughter aged 25, son aged 23 and son aged 19, and have left home apart from the youngest who is at uni in Bangor and only comes back for about 4 weeks a year. He's currently in Pittsburgh working as a Camp Counsellor on Camp America and then will be travelling for 4 weeks before flying home.

I'm a full time university student myself studying Psychology with Criminology and will be starting my second year in September. I work part time at weekends in a car showroom and am using all of my money saving ways now more than ever!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 19th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    • 11,177 Posts
    • 154,013 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Hello SUNNYGIRL, welcome to the thread, please bring some virtual rich tea biscuits if you have them, make a friend of the elephant it's so much safer when you're posting!!!

• fuddle
    • By fuddle 19th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 5,937 Posts
    • 89,655 Thanks
    fuddle
    Waving my hand over the fence line. You can't see me due to my stool being occupied by elephants and monkeys!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

214Posts Today

2,023Users online

Martin's Twitter