Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    • 10,058Posts
    • 25,787Thanks
    benbenandme
    Ready to do it all over again ...
    • 27th Dec 16, 7:03 PM
    Ready to do it all over again ... 27th Dec 16 at 7:03 PM
    Hello, thank you for popping by

I have been a regular on the debt free diaries board for years as well as dipping in here at times. I did join in Tallgirls Mortgage Free in 3 Challenge several years ago and have had several diaries over the years. This is the first time I've had one here though despite never actually being in debt I always felt it could happen oh so easily so treated myself as if I was a dfw.

So, 2017 and my new diary here ...

I have lived in my lovely flat with my ds (13) for the last 9 years and finally it looks as though we will be moving in the new year. I have sold my flat to a cash buyer and have had an offer accepted on a 2 bed little house. I will probably put stuff into storage and stay with my Mum for a few weeks while the house goes through as my buyers are very keen to complete asap and I don't want to risk losing them as I have already had one sale fall through due to brexit.

Normally at this point between Christmas and New Year I begin planning my aims for the coming year, setting goals - usually financial related, and generally getting everything organised ready to tackle whatever I have planned. This normally is a £££ goal to knock off the mortgage etc.

This year however everything is a bit unknown as I can't predict how much I can save etc at this point. But what I can do is take stock of exactly where I'm at now and make lists, I do like lists , of things I need to do to make as many pennies as possible / minimise spends where possible.
    Mortgage Total: £75,000 £73,949 Mortgage End Date: May 2040
    Brother's loan: £2489 / £30,000
Page 28
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 13th Aug 17, 12:43 PM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Chilling hasn't happened too much as yet - I went upstairs and pulled everything out of my wardrobe / cupboard and have rehomed stuff, sorted the boxes at the top that hadn't yet been unpacked, sorted under my bed. This has generated a bag of rubbish, a bag of car boot bits, a bag of stuff that needs to be put away downstairs and a pile of bits for ebay which I have just photographed and listed

Time now to sit and watch the footie for a bit
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 13th Aug 17, 4:36 PM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Whoop whoop, just sold a bin item on ebay for nearly £50
    • stressedaah30
    • By stressedaah30 13th Aug 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 10,896 Thanks
    stressedaah30
    Well done with ebay
    Im terrible get rather obsessed checking ebay app to often. Hope your other things bring in some more
    JAN WINS- pepsi tshirt,
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 13th Aug 17, 6:38 PM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Me too Stressed But, my other BIN has just sold, this one was only £2 but it was heading for the rubbish bag otherwise so I'm glad I bothered to list it

All my other items are auctions so won't finish til next week, but this has now spurred me on to hunt around for other bits to sell. Most of them are clothing.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 14th Aug 17, 12:47 PM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    So this morning I went shopping to get some bits and pieces for decorating, and ended up getting quite a lot of bits and pieces that weren't on the list

I bought myself 3 new dresses for the winter in Monsoon's sale, they were all £60 reduced to £17.70, so I paid £53 instead of £180 They are woolen knitted dresses and I will live in them at work so definitely money well spent. I also bought a coatigan in M&S for £35, I have a rainjacket for walking the dog but its practical rather than a nice coat iyswim, and I didn't want to pay stupid money for a coat and also wanted something that's easy to drive in. Anyway, we'll see but I think this fits the bill nicely.

Then I went into B&Q and bought the beeswax I needed for the coffee table (£14), homebase (£20 for a cover for the garden table and chairs), then superdrug and splurged £10 on a few bits and bobs that again weren't vital but would've been bought at some point. Finally £30 in Asda on 2 new pillows for ds bed (his are falling apart), new bra and knickers for me, and a few bits and pieces of food.

So that's another £160 I need to find from an account but pretty much all of it is stuff that was needed. I think it also should mean I've qualified for my fre nectar points for the credit card offer now, it might take a couple of days to update but that should be a nice welcome bonus
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 14th Aug 17, 6:34 PM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    I've just about finished the coffee table, I've glossed most of the woodwork upstairs (door frames etc),I've cancelled the dogs haircut appointment for tomorrow (hasn't grown enough, £15 deposit back to me) and I've driven to Ikea to return a couple of bits (£20 back to me), so that's £35 towards the shopping blowout earlier today

I think I'll have egg on toast for tea tonight, I'm not feeling massively hungry, then I'm going to the pub quiz with Mum, nephew and bil.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 15th Aug 17, 8:27 AM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Pub quiz was good, there were 16 teams and with 1 round to go we were 16th The quizmaster even took the mick a bit as we were so far behind the next team although we had saved our joker for the last round (double points). Anyway, the category was Number 1's of 1990 - now I am renowned for my saddo taste in music; eclectic would be putting it very kindly, utterly embarrasingly naff is how most people would refer to it. So, Mum knew none, my nephew wasn't even born until 1999 so couldn't help much so down to me then - 40 out of 40 bringing us up to a much more respectful 5th place The average age at our pub quiz is about 70, in fact my nephew and I were probably the only people not retired, so most of them hadn't got a clue, I was very proud

Anyway, today I am popping into school to do a few bits of work ready for September, I need to take Mum for her doctors appointment at 2.20 and then I'll carry on with some other jobs at home.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 16th Aug 17, 10:19 AM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning all, this morning I have washed ds' bedding and painted the landing walls and ds bedroom walls and ceiling. I still need to paint the doors upstairs but will do them tomorrow probably as I need to leave the windows open and I'm going out later.

Last xmas my bestie and I organised the school Christmas fair (practically just the two of us). As a thankyou we were given a voucher for afternoon tea at a local posh hotel, so we have booked that in and we're going there this afternoon. I'm really looking forward to it, hopefully the sun will come out and it will be a nice relaxing bit of fun.

In other news, I found out that one of my schoolfriends died at the weekend, she had cancer. It has hit me really hard, she was the one person in the year group that everyone wanted to be like; she was bright, she was pretty, she was very sporty and still holds 3 school records (we left school 28 years ago) but mostly I can genuinely not recall her ever saying a bad word about anybody. She really was one of life's sparkly sunshine people. One of those that you love being around, who is fun, positive and an all round good egg. She leaves behind 2 children and a husband who was also in our year at school. I know cancer is indiscriminate but you would really struggle to have found a more active, healthier, fitter person
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Aug 17, 2:15 PM
    • 46,812 Posts
    • 167,229 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sad news about your friend.
    Enjoy your afternoon tea.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 16th Aug 17, 6:36 PM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Afternoon tea was lovely, I brought a couple of cakes home in a box as there was too much to eat I'm now sat chilling in the conservatory with some spa music playing, bliss
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 17th Aug 17, 7:11 PM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Today I've painted all the doors upstairs, then I went to a local town and bought some hooks for the back of ds bedroom door and a few bits and pieces in M&S food store.

After that I came home and had lunch, pottered about a bit this afternoon and have just had a nice bath and am going to put my pj's on and chill tonight.

In good news I have been awarded 20,000 nectar points from amex for the credit card offer, I also should be getting 10,000 from nectar alongside it, I need to check when these will be added on.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 18th Aug 17, 8:54 AM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning all, ds is home late this afternoon
    Today I'm having my haircut at 10.15, I'm having highlights done too so that will take about 3 hours of my day but I get to relax and enjoy it.

So far this morning I have done the ironing and am about to rehang ds clean curtains. Hopefully I can make some pennies from somewhere today too
    • stressedaah30
    • By stressedaah30 18th Aug 17, 9:06 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 10,896 Thanks
    stressedaah30
    Hope your ds comes back ok after his time away
    Enjoy hairdressers n who couldnt enjoy 3 hours of me time
    Hows your other ebay stuff doing? Ive got some clothes to list but need to iron them first
    Just me n kids goin away for weekend last weekend was sad because my cat had to be put to sleep so we aiming for fun relaxing and change of scenery for few days
    JAN WINS- pepsi tshirt,
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 18th Aug 17, 9:49 AM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    I've got 2 bids so far, 99p and £9.99. Most of them won't sell but 3 items have watchers (1, 6 & 7).
    Hope you enjoy your weekend away and sorry to hear about your cat
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 18th Aug 17, 3:57 PM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Haircut done, quite pleased with it I think

I've also been food shopping and stocked up a bit before ds strikes

I have also sold our tickets for Reading festival - they cost me £65 each and ds was quite looking forward to it but wasn't overly excited - anyway, I sold them for £130 each, so a nice profit and the money is going to go towards starting a holiday fund for next summer

I have 1.5 hours until ds is home, I'm looking forward to seeing him lots
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 19th Aug 17, 8:49 AM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning all, my brother is coming to visit today so will be nice.
    Last night my friend came round and helped fix ds computer, fix my new hosepipe and attached the bracket for ds' punchbag to the wall in the garage

All ds clothes from last week are in the washing machine, I did the ironing yesterday so am fairly up to date with everything at the moment
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 19th Aug 17, 10:07 AM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Gotta love ebay ... I'm selling a brand new pair of running leggings ... someone has sent me a question asking if they will fit them, they are a size 12, and can I take some more photos as they cant tell whether they will be to tight?? They are leggings!!
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 19th Aug 17, 10:44 AM
    • 6,673 Posts
    • 41,006 Thanks
    Pooky
    I had one buyer like that recently, it was a button up blouse and did I think it would suit her body shape and how far were the buttons from the collar as she didn't like to show too much cleavage.......it was 99p FGS!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 20th Aug 17, 9:10 AM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    Morning all, one item has sold on ebay for £25.50, I'm really chuffed as at bast I hoped to make about a tenner on it My other items finish about lunchtime, at the moment 3 of them will be selling.

Ds wanted to see a special train that went through at 12.13 last night, so we're both a bit tired this morning Lazy sofa morning ahead me thinks
    • benbenandme
    • By benbenandme 20th Aug 17, 12:30 PM
    • 10,058 Posts
    • 25,787 Thanks
    benbenandme
    The 3 items sold for a total of £28.50, so that makes todays ebay sales £53.50 Very happy with that, now I need to parcel them up ready to post in the morning Signature has been updated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

2,581Users online

Martin's Twitter