Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 12th Oct 12, 10:29 PM
    • 3,801Posts
    • 34,688Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Making chicken feed of my mortgage
    • 12th Oct 12, 10:29 PM
    Making chicken feed of my mortgage 12th Oct 12 at 10:29 PM
    Hello

After reading lots of inspirational MFW diaries I have decided to start one of my own as a record of my progress and to keep me motivated.

When we relocated to our current house 4.5 years ago we gained a bedroom but more than doubled our mortgage
    Luckily Mr MWC had a very generous 4-year relocation package and even luckier it was paid out in full when he was made redundant 6 months later…

A little about the mortgage…

July 2002

Original mortgage (interest only)
    4.49% fixed rate
    Redemption date = July 2027
    £90,250

April 2008

Further advance (repayment)
    5.62% fixed rate
    Redemption date = April 2028
    £106,190

October 2012

Original mortgage (interest only)
    2.50% BMR
    Redemption date = April 2028
    £88,660

Further advance (repayment)
    2.50% BMR
    Redemption date = August 2026
    £79,832

We have been paying £134/month into a S&S ISA for the past 10 years to pay off the capital on the interest only mortgage - fingers crossed. Note to self: check performance of S&S ISA.

We made our first OP of £2,750 to the FA last November and this year we have OP’d the equivalent of paying the FA twice a month, every month

A little about me…

41 years old
    0 children
    7 chickens
    Work FT in a job that bores me to tears but pays well and allows me to finish at lunchtime on Fridays

A little about Mr MWC…

Happy to OP as long it doesn’t affect our lifestyle
    Recent convert to topcashback

Today I have…

Sold 2 boxes of eggs @ £1.25/box
    Shined my sink (after scrubbing it and bleaching it first)
    Made sausage, barley & kale stew for dinner
    Been unable to locate a dividend cheque for £265 that came in the post last week…

muddywhitechicken
Page 3
    • chirpchirp
    • By chirpchirp 1st Nov 12, 12:15 AM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 3,822 Thanks
    chirpchirp
    Hurrah I did it - today was a NSD
    I didn't buy anything from a charity cake stall and The Girls have no green leafy treats to eat tomorrow but nevermind both get enough from me normally.

Today I:

- went for a 40 minute walk at lunchtime
    - cursed incompetent colleagues and suppliers... a lot!
    - made spiced carrot & butterbean soup with frizzled shallots for dinner

Only 2 eggs again today but they were beautiful 1 pale green and 1 white

Hi chirpchirp - I don't have any spreadsheets *looks around nervously, fully expecting to be lynched by all other MFWs* but agree that it would be a good idea to record all my grocery spends. A couple of months ago I was very good at going to the supermarket with a list and only buying items on the list but then, like you, saw things on special offer that I didn't need but use and then from there on it was a downward spiral...
    I currently have vouchers for £10 off £75 and £20 off £75 from Waitrose online so I think I will use them to stock the storecupborad for a couple of months and then I will go back to shopping in person.
    Originally posted by muddywhitechicken
    My spreadsheet for this is very basic

Date amount spent where

It's really kept me focused since I started doing this.
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 1st Nov 12, 7:28 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    I've only gone and done it again... another NSD today

The Girls will have to go another day without lettuce/spinach but I'll be home by 2 so I'll let them on the lawn for a couple of hours... and they got melon today, so it's not like they're neglected.

I forgot to mention that my walk yesterday involved lots of kicking piles of dry leaves

Today I:

- Made my regular OP of £575
    - Transferred £250 to my regular saver
    - received a £2 Gardening Club voucher valid until the end of January
    - Went for a 35 minute walk (no leaf kicking today - they were too soggy and there were too many people around!)
    - worked with idiots again (really must try to be more tolerant of my US colleagues...)
    - Ate HM split pea & ham soup for dinner and leftover trick or treat sweets for pudding

3 eggs today
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 2nd Nov 12, 4:49 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Another NSD it's easy when you know how!!!

Another 3 eggs today and I sold 2 boxes this morning

Planning on a fishfinger sarnie for dinner (Mr MWC isn't here!)
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 2nd Nov 12, 6:56 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Change of plan - decided that a fishfinger sandwich was too much cooking so had a bowl of cereal instead
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 3rd Nov 12, 8:34 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    A spend day today (bread/milk/vegetables/fruit and petrol) but, if I've planned correctly, I won't need to spend anything until Tuesday or Wednesday.

We also bought a rug today to replace the one that FIL's dog poo'd on The rug was 25% off and FIL will be reimbursing us.

A quiet weekend this weekend - housework and laundry today.

5 root soup with bacon for lunch and Bengali butternut squash & chickpea curry for dinner

Only 2 eggs today
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 4th Nov 12, 7:47 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    As expected, a NSD today

I researched selling my colleagues old DVDs this afternoon. He really does have a load of old tat! Most worth 30p on music magpie (there was one that they refused!) or 1p on amazon but a couple are worth a little more so I have listed them on ebay.

More housework and laundry today

2 eggs from 7 very soggy chooks. I'll be lucky if I get any tomorrow after tonight's fireworks - it sounds like a battlefield out there (we're only 400m from a professional display...)

The dads came over for dinner - slow-cooked game & sausage casserole (using HM pontack sauce - yummy) with mash and savoy cabbage.

I'm trying to decide what to put in my Christmas hampers this year. I already have:

Whiskey marmalade
    Hedgerow jelly
    Spiced crab apple jelly
    Christmas puddings
    Spicy pear pickle and Christmas chutney left over from last year
    Sloe gin
    Blackcurrant vodka

Mr MWC made piccalilli today but I didn't get to see it before he had bottled up and it looks very runny to me...

I always make lemon curd and white chocolate & cranberry cookies a couple of days before Christmas.

In previous years I have made chocolate dipped candied orange peel. It is popular so I may do that again if I can get some cheap oranges and I have seen an interesting recipe for maple & toffee vodka. Any ideas what else I could do please?
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 5th Nov 12, 10:50 AM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,452 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hi MWC...have you ever made Biscotti? They keep in a jar/tin for 4-6 weeks so can be made in advance.

I always make some for our Charity Christmas Fair and jar them up and they generally go down really well for people adding to HM hampers.

There is a recipe on the bbc good food web-site - just search for Christmas Biscotti.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £93679.00 (11.09.2017)
    OP's to Date £4500

Renovation Fund:£944.75;
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 5th Nov 12, 11:13 AM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Hello MCI
    That recipe looks fab and exactly what I need - something that can be made in advance (I have a fairly quiet November followed by a hectic December including business trips to the US and France in the fortnight before Christmas...)
    Thank you so much
    MWC x
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 5th Nov 12, 8:04 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Another NSD today although my stupid American colleagues very nearly drove me to buy chocolate...

Today I:

- walked for 30 minutes at lunchtime
    - had HM butternut squash, sweet potato, leek & ginger soup for lunch
    - reheated HM chilli for dinner
    - checked my online bank account and found a £41.10 interest credit on my old regular saver account

Only 1 egg today but that's 1 more than I thought I would get!
    • misscousinitt
    • By misscousinitt 6th Nov 12, 10:22 AM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,452 Thanks
    misscousinitt
    Hello MCI
    That recipe looks fab and exactly what I need - something that can be made in advance (I have a fairly quiet November followed by a hectic December including business trips to the US and France in the fortnight before Christmas...)
    Thank you so much
    MWC x
    Originally posted by muddywhitechicken
    You are welcome...enjoy making them - I always do - they look so nice in jars.

I know what you mean about hectic...made in advance is always a bonus.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £93679.00 (11.09.2017)
    OP's to Date £4500

Renovation Fund:£944.75;
    Nectar Points Balance: £35.49
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 6th Nov 12, 12:55 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    I knew that our savings were very healthy but Mr MWC and I had a chat last night and totted up all our savings accounts, shares etc and it appears that we almost have enough (not including the mortgage-linked equity plan for the original mortgage) to pay off the further advance
    We're not going to but it's nice to know that we could if we wanted to (or had to)
    What it does mean is that saving will take more of a back seat to OPing from now on... although saying that I will continue to pay £250/month into my regular saver (as 1. it feels wrong not to be saving anything..., 2. it earns more interest than I pay on the mortgage and 3. I can always transfer it to the mortgage when the 12 months are up) and Mr MWC wants to use up his ISA allowance for this tax year.
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 6th Nov 12, 8:45 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Yet another NSD - the fifth this month

No walk today as I was trying to get my multi-million $ work budget to match what Finance think I'm spending!

Absolutely delicious sausage and butternut squash toad-in-the-hole for dinner. Mr MWC said it was a real treat

And only 1 egg again today - I think I'm going to disappoint some regular customers this week (unless I get two 4-egg days...)
    • megela
    • By megela 6th Nov 12, 8:58 PM
    • 754 Posts
    • 3,734 Thanks
    megela
    Just popped by to say your Christmas Hampers sound absolutely gorgeous!!

All the time and effort, along with love put in will make fabulous xmas gifts. I don't really buy for any adults or I would be really inspired.
    Re-mortgaged 20/04/12 MTiT-T3 No.7
    Start balance £89611.10 + £22500 = £112111.10/Current balance £85436.53
    Original Mortgage Free Date April 2032
    Target Mortgage Free Date July 2022/Currently August 2029 (based on no offset)
    Total overpayments from 20/04/12: £8152.95
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 6th Nov 12, 9:18 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Thanks megala

This will be the fifth year that I have made hampers. The first year there were quite a few recipients (in Mr MWC's family) who looked a bit disappointed when they received them - after all my time, effort & money (making presents isn't the cheap option...) - however they were more enthusiastic after they had eaten the goodies! Now I think I would be lynched if I didn't do them and everyone knows that they have to return the empty jars, bottles etc otherwise they don't get a refill

This year I'm making 14 (although some will be smaller than others)
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 6th Nov 12, 10:29 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Mr MWC is still talking about dinner... he's now describing it as "proper lush"
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 7th Nov 12, 8:17 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Today was my sixth NSD of the month - it's easy when you know how

Just checked my bank account and my last expense claim has been paid - £27.90 (62 miles @ 45p/mile)

HM cauliflower & almond soup for lunch (2/3 cauliflower, a little bit of celeriac, 1 onion and 1 leek left over from the weekend with 1L of vegetable stock, 30g ground almonds that I bought last year and never used, and a bay leaf) and orzo cooked in chicken stock with feta, peas & dill for dinner

I have 3 watchers and 1 bid of 99p for 1 of the DVDs I listed on ebay. A few days left so fingers crossed that I get more than I would have on music magpie!

2 eggs today and I have a chicken in my conservatory... Miss F, my beautiful little blue egg layer, has been a bit under the weather for the past week or so. She is moulting so this is almost certainly the reason but she is also bottom chook and I don't think she is getting her fair share of the food Anyway, I took her out of the cube this evening and gave her a bowl of warm chicken porridge and a straw bed.
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 8th Nov 12, 8:02 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    NSD No. 7 for November

Very busy at work today - well have been all week really (have spent the last few weeks twiddling my thumbs though...)

Mr MWC has just booked airport parking for a business trip next week and luckily I reminded him to use TCB just in time... 7.57% cashback and paid for on his company CC He'll be away from Friday to late Tuesday - that's 5 dinners that I'll have to cook myself

He cooked pasta with pesto, feta, onion and beetroot for dinner tonight

And another 2 eggs today
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 9th Nov 12, 2:08 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Hurrah it's the weekend... although I am contactable by blackberry for the rest of the day if needs be

Today will be another NSD - we are going out for a family meal this evening however FIL will be paying

Still at 99p for the ebay DVD but now have 3 watchers, no bids or watchers on the other one
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 9th Nov 12, 4:20 PM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Just spent the best part of 2 hours trying to get locoblade's spreadsheet to work and failing ... it's obviously user error because everyone else thinks it's the bee knees... but my basic (and total) monthly payment value doesn't decrease after the fixed period is finished and I can't add my adhoc OPs because it says the sheet is protected even though it says I can edit yellow columns...

2 eggs today
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 10th Nov 12, 8:24 AM
    • 3,801 Posts
    • 34,688 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    I've got no oomph this morning... so I'll sit here and make a list rather than actually do anything!

I need to:

shower
    dress
    menu plan
    write shopping list
    walk into town - walked in but bought too much heavy stuff so Mr MWC had to go and get the car...
    follow-up in n/wide about my length of membership query
    buy mealworms and sunflower seeds for The Girls in home bargains
    go to morrisons and spend £40 to get Christmas voucher - spent £50 after using £2 coupon
    remember to use a £2 money-off coupon
    go to sainsburys for petrol and to buy all the things I couldn't get in morrisons (usually milk and decent
    lettuce for The Girls)
    - managed to get everything I needed in town (The Girls have got spinach this week)
    Last edited by muddywhitechicken; 10-11-2012 at 6:50 PM. Reason: list updated
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

192Posts Today

1,489Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin