Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dorsetmiss
    Quinces: Anyone know about making quince jelly please?
    • 28th Oct 06, 12:18 PM
    Quinces: Anyone know about making quince jelly please? 28th Oct 06 at 12:18 PM
    I was given some quinces and thought I'd make some quince jelly. I've got to the simmering in water til soft stage but thought that the 'mush' would be a pinky colour, (isn't quince jelly pink?), whereas its actually yellowy/green. Now wondering if I've used the quinces before they were ripe:rolleyes: A quick squiz on the net seems to indicate that they should be yellow to be ripe whereas these were more green! Is it worth continuing do you think or should I just bin the lot? I'm so disappointed as the smell from the quinces was wonderful.....
    Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!
Page 3
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 5th Nov 10, 10:42 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I had a very heavy crop of quinces this year. I have made; quince jelly, quince vodka, quince pickle, quince and pumpkin chutney, quince cheese, quince tarte tatin, quince upside down cake and cooked a lot for the freezer.

Quince Jelly by The Quince Tree, on Flickr

Quince cheese by The Quince Tree, on Flickr

Quince Tarte Tatin by The Quince Tree, on Flickr

Quince pickle by The Quince Tree, on Flickr

Making quince vodka by The Quince Tree, on Flickr

Quince Upside Down Cake by The Quince Tree, on Flickr

Quince and Pumpkin Chutney by The Quince Tree, on Flickr
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 5th Nov 10, 11:39 AM
    • 7,552 Posts
    • 25,394 Thanks
    Primrose
    I passed a Chaenomoles shrub the other day which was absolutely full of yellow Japonica quinces and I remember last year they were just left to rot on the plant. I suspect the owner probably has no idea that they are edible and capable of making delicious jelly, jam or chutney. If my own cupboards weren't full of preserves that we've made in previous years that we're still trying to eat our way through I would have been tempted to knock on her door and ask if I could have some. I do now have a small Chaenomoles bush in my garden once more and next year I may get enough fruit to make some Japonica jelly again.
    It's such a shame that these skills seem to be a dying art. Last time I made Japonica jelly I took some into work, somebody sniffed it dubiously and asked "Have you put some perfume in this?". They couldn't believe that this was the natural fragrance of the fruit that they'd never heard of.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 5th Nov 10, 11:53 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    My mum made jelly out of her japonicas too Primrose )

You know I'm not sure preserving is a dying art, I have a feeling that is undergoing a revival. My daughter and I were picking damsons from a hedgerow near our house for jam, chutney etc. My neighbour's children were very interested and ran to tell their mum. They also went damson picking and made jam. She was the very last person I would have expected to make jam.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,046Posts Today

9,474Users online

Martin's Twitter