Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dorsetmiss
    Quinces: Anyone know about making quince jelly please?
    • 28th Oct 06, 12:18 PM
    Quinces: Anyone know about making quince jelly please? 28th Oct 06 at 12:18 PM
    I was given some quinces and thought I'd make some quince jelly. I've got to the simmering in water til soft stage but thought that the 'mush' would be a pinky colour, (isn't quince jelly pink?), whereas its actually yellowy/green. Now wondering if I've used the quinces before they were ripe:rolleyes: A quick squiz on the net seems to indicate that they should be yellow to be ripe whereas these were more green! Is it worth continuing do you think or should I just bin the lot? I'm so disappointed as the smell from the quinces was wonderful.....
    Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly!
Page 2
  • Lindsey Glasman
    Now what do I do with it?
    I was given some quinces and made some nice-loooking jelly (Mary Norwalk recipe). But...what do we eat it with? Is it a jam sandwich type of thing, or an accompaniment to meats, cheeses etc.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 1st Nov 07, 6:42 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I was given some quinces and made some nice-loooking jelly (Mary Norwalk recipe). But...what do we eat it with? Is it a jam sandwich type of thing, or an accompaniment to meats, cheeses etc.
    Originally posted by Lindsey Glasman
    Both We eat it on toast, with roast pork, brushed on pork chops or with goose at Christmas, and with sausages. It is also lovely spread on water biscuits with a blob of creme fraiche on top, or with scones and cream. My sister-in-law loves it with smoked mackerel.

Ampersand I hope the damage wasn't too awful. I managed to stain a t-shirt with quince juice when I was pouring it into the jelly bag. A jelly bag is worth investing in
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 2nd Nov 07, 7:16 AM
    • 8,300 Posts
    • 31,740 Thanks
    ampersand
    Thankyou thriftlady - another 5 quinces coming today. Have just seen ironing board cover emerge, after soaking+90deg wash, brown/red where juice spilled. Shall make a bag with old net and muslin.
    Jelly is the most beautiful colour.
    LyndseyGlasman - use it with iced desserts, too - oh, and a VERY warm welcome to the thread, forum, site!
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 4th Nov 07, 11:51 AM
    • 8,300 Posts
    • 31,740 Thanks
    ampersand
    Hello thriftlady and others -
    How is the quince vodka served? Neat? Avec? Over Ice? It's never been a taste of mine, so I've no idea.
    Many thanks, as always.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 4th Nov 07, 11:58 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Hello thriftlady and others -
    How is the quince vodka served? Neat? Avec? Over Ice? It's never been a taste of mine, so I've no idea.
    Many thanks, as always.
    Originally posted by ampersand
    I drink it neat, but then I drink everything neat It would be good with ice though. I wouldn't put anything else in it, you don't want to spoil the quince flavour. Drink it like a short rather than a glass of wine.

I think I shall use some of mine in my mincemeat this year which I'm going to be making with quince instead of apple (if they haven't all rotted by the time I get round to making it).

I also make syllabub to serve with Christmas pud and I think I'll put some in that in place of the brandy.

• ampersand
    • By ampersand 4th Nov 07, 12:38 PM
    • 8,300 Posts
    • 31,740 Thanks
    ampersand
    Quince mincemeat, a v.g. thought
    I drink it neat, but then I drink everything neat It would be good with ice though. I wouldn't put anything else in it, you don't want to spoil the quince flavour. Drink it like a short rather than a glass of wine.

I think I shall use some of mine in my mincemeat this year which I'm going to be making with quince instead of apple (if they haven't all rotted by the time I get round to making it).

I also make syllabub to serve with Christmas pud and I think I'll put some in that in place of the brandy.

Originally posted by thriftlady
    I've just started chopping them - mincemeat IS a good idea.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 4th Nov 07, 12:46 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I've just started chopping them - mincemeat IS a good idea.
    Originally posted by ampersand
    Not mine though -credit must go to Nigella Lawson. She calls it quincemeat
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 4th Nov 07, 1:36 PM
    • 8,300 Posts
    • 31,740 Thanks
    ampersand
    Oh poopsiedaisy and botheration!
    Not mine though -credit must go to Nigella Lawson. She calls it quincemeat
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    How ANNOYING!
    I have shared the ambivalence of others here concerning her, though I liked John Diamond's column in the Times.
    Quince vodka now out in No. 2 shed, all in one crock - along with a couple of thumbnail gratings. Just as well as it's to be filtered around New Year..........
    Last edited by ampersand; 04-11-2007 at 2:54 PM.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 4th Nov 07, 1:39 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I like her writing but cannot bear her on telly.
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 1st Oct 08, 8:57 PM
    • 9,454 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    Quince
    Hello everyone, hope you're all nice and snuggly

I've been given 5 quince today, but not really sure what to do with them? I know you can make jelly but I haven't got a strainer bag to sieve it overnight.
    Barney is my border collie.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 1st Oct 08, 9:00 PM
    • 24,183 Posts
    • 50,854 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Have you thought about slicing them and eating with a runcible spoon?
  • champys
    Try stewed quince - we have a quince tree and it is one of my favourites. Peel & core them, cut them into quarters and put in a thick-bottomed pan. Sprinkle with sugar and add water so they are in 'to their ankles'. You can add a piece of lemon peel and a piece of cinnamon stick if you like. Then cook, very slowly, until they are soft and coloured dark orange/red.
    Leave them to cool and have them chilled for pudding with some cream or Greek yoghurt. They freeze perfectly too.
    • Barneysmom
    • By Barneysmom 1st Oct 08, 9:36 PM
    • 9,454 Posts
    • 24,285 Thanks
    Barneysmom
    That sounds delicious champys, thank you!

A runcible spoon?
    They dined on mince and slices of quince
    which they ate with a runcible spoon

I love that story!
    Barney is my border collie.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 2nd Oct 08, 7:28 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Lots about quinces here I recommend the vodka or add to apple pies and crumbles. A puree of quinces is lovely with natural yogurt.
    • Muppet81
    • By Muppet81 11th Oct 08, 2:36 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 1,712 Thanks
    Muppet81
    Big bag of Quince - tiny and green????
    I have been given a big bag of quince but they are very small (just a bit bigger than a plum) and very green.

A few years ago I was given some which seemed to be a bit larger and more yellow, so I think riper. I made some lovely jam with these but the job of quartering, coring and peeling them was a nightmare and i cut my hands to shreds. They were tough little blighter!

Does anyone have any recipe for using them whole and then straining the result?

I would hate to waste them but don't think peeling, coring ect is an option as there would be nothing left!
    Thank you for this site Now OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 11th Oct 08, 4:28 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Muppet81,

I think you should be able to make a jelly out of them without coring and peeling them. There's some information on how to go about it on this thread so I've added your post to it.

Pink
  • spiddy100
    Quince jelly
    Hello OSers

I'm in the middle of making quince jelly, only my second attempt (last year's was tasty though a bit soft).

I used about 1.2kg of quinces, have boiled up and strained for 24 hours. I only have about 800ml of juice - I'd expected more as about 20 quinces went into the pan.

Any idea how much jam this will make? Is it worth trying to water the juice down a bit? I simmered the fruit for about 3 hours, and it looked on the dry side when I took it off the heat, so am wondering if it would be OK to water it down a little.

Any advice from experienced jam makers would be very helpful I can't remember anything about making it last year! Thank you.
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 13th Oct 10, 3:41 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 26,721 Thanks
    Primrose
    I've previously made Japonica (Caenomales) Jelly (from the hard yellow fruits which have quite a heady perfume). They're quite different from the tree fruits which are much larger and more pear shaped. Japonica quinces are very hard, even when ripe which is when they've turned yellow. I wouldn't worry about your end product. It looks fine to me.
    The first time I made Japonica jelly I expected it to be light coloured but it turned out very thick (almost thick enough to slice) and was quite dark in colour. However, it had a delicious fragrance and we used it up with cold meats, etc. I'm sure if you wanted something a little different you could try mixing 50/50 with some apples, but make sure they're fairly juicy ones like Bramleys which cook down into a mush and produce plenty of juice. This should give you a lighter set than using 100% chaenomales fruits.
  • spiddy100
    Thanks Primrose, these are definitely the perfumed fruit which grow on a bush. I think I may end up with a smaller amount of firm, rich jelly rather than lots of it, but it is all a learning experience I suppose We all love the flavour so it will all be appreciated!
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
  • Tightwadways
    A big thumbs up for this thread! I was given 3 bag fulls of quinces from a kind freecycler....now about to start stewing some, slow cooking some for afters with ice cream...and on payday will be stocking up with vodka ) Great addition to the hampers this year!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,419Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter