Super Balance Transfers discussion area

Comments

• Squinky wrote: »
    I would like to combine the £1400, £600 and £700 overdrafts onto the Virgin balance transfer card that's in the article at the moment.

Would they take the debt from all three accounts?

Hi Katie,

Assuming you pass the credit score for the Virgin card, of course they will. All you need to do is get them to move £2700 (total of all 3 overdrafts) to one account, then spread the money to the other two accounts :)
  • With a couple of other bits and bobs, I would be looking at borrowing £5,500.

The question is, what is the least costliest way to borrow and repay for doing this? Is an SBT the way to go??

Hey Olliesdaddy,

Assuming three things, yes, the SBT would be the way to go. These things are:
    1) you pass the credit score for the SBT card
    2) you get at least £5,500 credit limit
    3) you can pay it off in 20 months (so £275 a month on average)

If you end up with a lower limit, you could still consider moving the most expensive debt (sounds like the Santander) to an SBT card, and repay the minimum payment each month, while you focus the remainder of what you can pay each month onto the next most expensive debt - then re-evaluate the position in 20 months time when the SBT card's interest rate hits the roof.

Hope this helps...
  • sabres wrote: »
    Dear all,

Can I transfer my overdraft (£2,500) to a credit card with 0% interest thus allowing me to clear my debt. I think this will give me some breathing space. Also what are the best cards for this transaction, I am with natwest.

Thanks in advance,
    Sabres

hi Sabres,

Yes, that's it exactly. The only card at the moment that does it AFAIK is the Virgin one.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    hi Sabres,

Yes, that's it exactly. The only card at the moment that does it AFAIK is the Virgin one.

Virgin, any other card backed by MBNA, and also Post Office cards. In addition to that there Tesco credit card can be used in a similar way by buying sterling travellers cheques and paying those into the overdraft.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Hi there,

You mentioned that you can buy sterling travelers cheques with tesco purchase credit card? Have you tried this?

I am trying to get my overdraft on to interest free but I have a MBNA Card so can't apply for virgin
    Total debt £17,135 total paid off £525
  • Tixy
    Applecider wrote: »
    Hi there,

You mentioned that you can buy sterling travelers cheques with tesco purchase credit card? Have you tried this?

I am trying to get my overdraft on to interest free but I have a MBNA Card so can't apply for virgin

I haven't personally, but a few people on here and the credit card section have reported doing it. You can do the same with M&S as well - and there are lots of people who have written to say they have done that on the forum. One word of caution is to check your bank account accept sterling travellers cheques and don't charge a fee for you to deposit them (most accounts are okay but someone reported their bank had charged them to pay them in).

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=51011475&highlight=travellers+cheques#post51011475 this person has done it in the last couple of months
    and here is some more details http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=49779691&highlight=travellers+cheques#post49779691
  • Thanks :) I will see if I can find threads where people have done it already. It would be handy, I suppose it's a purchase from the post office might check with Tesco first!
    Total debt £17,135 total paid off £525
  • Tixy
    Applecider wrote: »
    Thanks :) I will see if I can find threads where people have done it already. It would be handy, I suppose it's a purchase from the post office might check with Tesco first!

With M&S you have to buy the travellers cheques from M&S not from the post office - you can buy them online or at the instore bureau de change.
    I assume that Tesco will be the same - you can buy them on the website, or I think some tesco stores have bureau de change.

Found the link on tesco website - http://www.tescobank.com/personal/finance/travel/travelmoney/index.html
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi,

I am looking for a SBT card other than Virgin as I already have an MBNA card - anyone know of one available? Thanks
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Hi everyone looking for some help.

My car has given up the ghoust :( so looking to go and buy a new one.

Need to borrow about £5000. I don't have any other loans, credit cards or overdrafts so no idea how to go about this! Is this super balance transfer the best option for me?

Do I just borrow £5000, ask them to transfer it to my current account (for a fee) then pay them back monthly?

And it's intrest free for 20months with virgin? As long as I get the money transfered in the first 60days it's only costing me £200.

I'm maybe looking too much into it but just sounds too good to me!!!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport