Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Knit Witch
    • By Knit Witch 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 3,194Posts
    • 29,294Thanks
    Knit Witch
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!
    • 18th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat! 18th Jul 17 at 8:29 PM
    As threads are going walkabout I thought I would start the next stage of this off - I will try and do the links later!
    V3ry - £585.59
Page 35
    • maryb
    • By maryb 13th Aug 17, 12:26 PM
    • 3,448 Posts
    • 41,054 Thanks
    maryb
    Reminds me of the old joke about the guest who was saying goodbye on the doorstep of the house of some friends who were keen on fresh air

" don't stand out here, you're letting all that lovely cold air out"
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • thriftmonster
    • By thriftmonster 13th Aug 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,602 Posts
    • 7,321 Thanks
    thriftmonster
    OH loves fresh air, and can often be found in shorts in February,.
    Originally posted by thriftwizard
    OMG I have one of those as well - and sandals. And the BBQ season here runs from St Patricks Day to Hallowe'en

Karcher
    yes even I felt sorry for him - parents who seemed keen to shunt him off anywhere for the holidays. When he left us his sister was going home but he was off to another scheme
    I will not have my life narrowed down. I will not bow down to somebody else's whim or to somebody else's ignorance. - Bell Hooks

Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not - Pablo Picasso
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Aug 17, 3:50 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Do those of us of a more mature vintage recall those street skipping games in the 60s and 70s? Someones mums washing line stretched from pavement to pavement . You had to time when you jumped in to skip . This thread is a bit like that at the moment , how to catch up and make sense and remember things .
    TW I hope peace reigns once more in your home .

Floss Your mention of Saddleworth the other day led me online to actually look at the history . I've only ever shivered as I passed the moor on my way to Scotland and other places . I knew it was originally part of the West Riding of Yorkshire but have now followed through the stages which led to it now being part of GM .
    Those metropolitan boroughs caused so many moving of borders etc . I've enjoyed reading of the various building materials used , the local industries and the changes over the years . I love that one post can send others on a journey into the past . Well me anyway Google is my friend

Hope everyone has some of this sun today Mar in particular .
    polly
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 13th Aug 17, 3:57 PM
    • 2,487 Posts
    • 30,824 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    even I felt sorry for him - parents who seemed keen to shunt him off anywhere for the holidays.
    Have a suspicion that our lad might be on the same merry-go-round. Having had time to wind down & reflect, I can see some parallels with DD2's "inexplicable" behaviour in childhood/early teens, which turned out to be down to an almost-invisible form of autism, with no obvious learning disabilities, which led many observers to think she "deserved a good slapping". Now thankfully mostly behind us, thanks to an observant young GP and some light medication that helps her cope with a world that is simply baffling and overwhelming. The lad's apparent rudeness, over-reactions, sudden moodswings, disturbed sleep pattern & generally over-the-top behaviour, all point to some kind of "difference" above & beyond normal teenage hormonal chaos or cultural differences. Having raised 5 of my own, despite his good looks & impeccable pedigree, I'm left with an impression that there's something Not Quite Right there.
    Angie

GC Dec17 £248.63/£450

Money's just a substitute for time & talent...
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Aug 17, 4:36 PM
    • 4,992 Posts
    • 52,318 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Hi kittie ( or Hello Kittie How nice to see you over here
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 13th Aug 17, 4:38 PM
    • 14,149 Posts
    • 132,225 Thanks
    mardatha
    TY Polly, yes we've had sun all day, heavy cloud now but was a good day, 15C.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Aug 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Treasure the good days Mar and I hope there will be more to come .
    pollyx
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th Aug 17, 5:35 PM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 27,444 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good evening. The house troll woke me early today and asked for breakfast. He learned the hard way that you should let sleeping mothers lie on Sundays - we were in the car and on our way to Blackpool by 8:40am. Once he got used to the idea he cheered up a bit. I'd promised to take him in the holidays and so far there were two possible dry days forecast before we have a visitor for the final week of the holidays. Today was one of them and we are going to Manchester on Wednesday. That will be the end of our summer expeditions unless our visitor wants to go anywhere.

Blackpool was relatively quiet when we arrived, we went on a lot of rides without having to queue for too long. We left at 3:45 by which time it was too busy to be pleasant along the sea front.

Take care all of you
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 13th Aug 17, 5:45 PM
    • 4,992 Posts
    • 52,318 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    Glad you had a good day CRANKY
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Aug 17, 7:00 PM
    • 4,092 Posts
    • 33,717 Thanks
    Floss
    Cranky did you see the air show? We were on the front with DB, DSiL & DN.

Pollyanna my brother was born in Oldham but is eligible to play cricket for Yorkshire due to our home being in Saddleworth...if he was any good, that is!
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Aug 17, 8:27 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Cranky You both sound to be making the most of this week . Hope you both stay upright for the next few days . You can rest and recover then .

Floss After looking at Saddleworth I can understand why you love it .
    Do you share your husbands taste in football ?
    I may never be able to say this again this season ,but up where we belong and a chorus of Glory, Glory !!!
    I know it's the first match of a long season but bear with me . I will never get over Fergie leaving and it's been a hard watch since but you have to have hope don't you .
    polly
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 13th Aug 17, 9:40 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 40,046 Thanks
    monnagran
    Cranky, I've only been to Blackpool once and I thought it was rather a sad place. Mind you it was a bit wet and chilly even though it was July so I probably didn't see it at its best

Ah Pollyanna, I'll bear with you and I'm sure there will be many more occasions for a chorus of Glory Glory. After all, they haven't played my team yet and I doubt that "When the saints come marching in," will be featuring then.

I've been enjoying the sun today, took my book and a cup of coffee into the garden and Millie and I enjoyed a couple of hours in the fresh air. It doesn't look too hopeful for the rest of the week.
    DIL is back after an emotional weekend where her family buried her mother's ashes. She said it was worse than the funeral as it was the last goodbye. Her father is doing well although grieving terribly but she feels guilty coming away and leaving him. However, she does acknowledge that the last thing he would want is her living too close! They tend to clash if together too much.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • pollyanna 26
    • By pollyanna 26 13th Aug 17, 10:17 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 15,731 Thanks
    pollyanna 26
    Monna My team is a different red to Flosses other half . I blame the boy from Belfast who stole my heart and later broke it as he threw all his talent away .
    I haven't been to Blackpool for many years although we used to make the long journey for the lights when the children were younger . I can't remember why we went last I think we'd been to Fleetwood as we always tried to go there . I know her adopted town is very dear to her heart and i believe there is a regeneration of the area underway as in many areas up North . I admit though things can look a bit bleak on a wet and miserable day up here but if you look closely you can always find the beauty and the architecture of our heritage can take your breath away .
    Thinking of your DIL and the family . The last farewell is never easy .
    You and Millie sound perfect companions . Do you think you would keep her if given the chance or are you planning to fill that cat shaped hole when you move ?
    Just make sure it's an unadulterated cat as advised by Terry P and not one with satin bow and gold food dish .
    polly x
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 14th Aug 17, 1:19 AM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 40,046 Thanks
    monnagran
    Pollyanna, I know the boy from Belfast who broke your heart. He used to stay in an expensive health spa near where I lived in Surrey when he was "drying out."
    My sons used to meet him in the pub when he slipped his minders. They could tell you a tale or two.

I'm not sure where Millie will go when I finally get to move. I really didn't want a dog to be responsible for. I'm very fond of the ugly, smelly old thing but she is so big and powerful, and naughty, that she is no pleasure to walk. Everything is OK until she spots a bird or a cat and she's off like a rocket and I just can't hold her.
    Also, although we rub along together, she is not my dog at heart. She is very much DILs dog and if DIL calls in she goes mad, and when DIL goes again they are both crying.
    They can't really have her to live with them. The bungalow is too small to cope with Millie AND Dora and it's not fair to Millie to have to put up with this over exuberant monster.
    I am more of a cat person. I've had cats all my life until now. I've had dogs too but cats are more me.
    I should really be asleep but I nodded off for an hour after lunch. Fatal. I'll probably read for an hour or two now as there doesn't seem to be anyone around much to chat to.
    This is when I miss Softstuff. She was always good for a gossip in the middle of the night.
    I'll just see if there is any activity anywhere else.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 14th Aug 17, 7:12 AM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 14,527 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Just a quick post from me, to send Burtha a bit of solidarity.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th Aug 17, 8:02 AM
    • 14,149 Posts
    • 132,225 Thanks
    mardatha
    Re seaside towns and utter misery - you haven't lived until you've hit Ayr on a Sunday... I did it once in the mid 70s and still shudder and need cake to get over it.
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 14th Aug 17, 8:16 AM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 38,798 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    We're moored at Marlow, once we were settled I opened the side hatches while I cooked our evening meal, before long we had 2 black furry faces peering in at us. The boat next door has 2 border collies, I gave them a stroke and a piece of carrot each.
    Today we need to find a shop, we are nearly out of fresh milk and fresh food, I have longlife milk and tinned food if we decide not to shop.
    CHS is grumpy because I didn't bring the wally trolley with us, that's because he complains when I do as it takes up too much room in the locker!!
    Last edited by Hard Up Hester; 14-08-2017 at 2:45 PM.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 14th Aug 17, 8:35 AM
    • 3,291 Posts
    • 52,435 Thanks
    silvasava
    Morning all - sounds as if most of you have had a decent weekend one way or another. DH we t to a motorcycle meet yesterday so DS1 and I took the boat out for a little spin in the afternoon. Hav'n't been on her for about 6 weeks due to other commitments. It ended up with 5 boats rafted alongside each other in the harbour with a touch of alcohol, nibbles and much merriment! Thinking of taking her out again today or tomorrow depending on the weather and winds. Someone did comment how neat and tidy my boat is but as we used to caravan for many years you get used to organising everything. I know what you mean about the wally trolley Hester.
    I went to Blackpool for my 'honeymoon' we stayed with a friend with my two boys and her 5 children - very romantic!! I remember we took the boys to the park and they wanted to go on the boat lake by themselves. Cue new DH having to rescue them as they went round in circles!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Cheapskate
    • By Cheapskate 14th Aug 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 19,366 Thanks
    Cheapskate
    Thriftmonster and Floss - nice to see some 'neighbours' on here, bet we're only a stone's throw from each other!!

Had a nice little walk up to one of DH's sisters yesterday afternoon, kids riding their bikes and playing in the rec nearby in the sunshine - lovely, peaceful way to end the weekend. Now it's grey, cooler, and dreich, and I have to take them into town, as they're both in need of leggings/sweatpants - what a contrast to Sunday!

(((Big hugs))) for anyone who needs them today, feels a bit back-endish here, and this afternoon I'm going to crack on with doing crochet blankets for autumn/winter and check our winter bedding/coats/footwear...

A xo
    CRAPROLLZ member #20 Cheapskate - Head of Hunting (family membership co-ordinator)

Jan GC £27.05/£300
    • ivyleaf
    • By ivyleaf 14th Aug 17, 9:12 AM
    • 4,992 Posts
    • 52,318 Thanks
    ivyleaf
    This morning we have to remember to go and feed DGD's rabbit as she and her family are away for a few days. Then this afternoon our chiropodist is coming to make our feet comfy, and after that I have to go to the dentist. What a fun-packed day

When I came down this morning I saw our neighbour had rung me from her mobile at 7.20, when I'd still been asleep. I immediately thought something must have happened to one of her elderly parents, so I sent a text to apologise for missing her call and to let her know I was now up and about. A few minutes later I had a call from her apologising as it appeared her phone had somehow rung me from her handbag Phew!

I used to have a pic of the boy from Belfast on my bedroom wall, cut out of Jackie magazine. I also had Jon Finch and Franco Nero, I think. And possibly The Monkees.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

881Posts Today

6,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin