Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 4,578Posts
    • 19,545Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 19th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 19th Jul 17 at 2:04 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.
    Last edited by Slinky; 20-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Page 13
    • noelphobic
    • By noelphobic 13th Aug 17, 5:19 PM
    • 2,252 Posts
    • 7,129 Thanks
    noelphobic
    Thanks Floss, my accountant submitted it so I don't know why they didn't do/suggest this.

I've just driven to my nearest bank.......arggh, for whatever reason they no longer have stamps to stamp the paying in book counterfoil like our village bank did. No, they issue a paper receipt...... more clut. Will try and remember to check the account tomorrow to make sure it shows up, then force myself to trust the system and shred the piece of paper.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    You could also take a photo of the cheque before you bank it, if you have a smartphone.
    3 stone lost from May-December 2016. 2.5 more to lose in 2017.
    • noelphobic
    • By noelphobic 13th Aug 17, 5:28 PM
    • 2,252 Posts
    • 7,129 Thanks
    noelphobic
    . Someone stopped me to tell me I shouldn't be throwing someone so lovely away

le.
    Originally posted by Pooky
    I really hope you were throwing SOMETHING away rather than SOMEONE
    3 stone lost from May-December 2016. 2.5 more to lose in 2017.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 13th Aug 17, 9:13 PM
    • 4,578 Posts
    • 19,545 Thanks
    Slinky
    You could also take a photo of the cheque before you bank it, if you have a smartphone.
    Originally posted by noelphobic
    As a matter of fact I had taken a photo of the cheque to send a copy to my OH to share the joy. Have checked the account online and it's showing as credited so I have been brave and shredded the receipt already.
    • iamsalt
    • By iamsalt 13th Aug 17, 9:14 PM
    • 258 Posts
    • 5,087 Thanks
    iamsalt
    Two more car full to the tip as part of project house move, I think there are 4 or 5 more to go . There must have been 6 or 7 bin bAgs full of books which had died in storage in the shed - mould damp and mice have a habit of that. We have also almost filled a storage unit (meant for a 4 bed house) with stuff mum is planning to take to a one bed bungalow, so I know I will have more challenges ahead with mum.

I have one shed, a room, the kitchen and the garden stuff sort to move....

40 hours until we need to have moved mum out.....

41 hrs until I can say phew x
    2017 the year of learning new skills and mortgage reduction.
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 13th Aug 17, 10:23 PM
    • 5,421 Posts
    • 43,527 Thanks
    Igamogam
    A few items on Eb*y sold. Sme things that didn't sell are now in CS. I did relist a couple of things that had watchers - thought it was worth another punt Just over £80 of sales so far
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Aug 17, 10:26 AM
    • 27,841 Posts
    • 152,570 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow. Amazing things have been happening!

I *have* managed to do one big thing - I have a conservatory type sofa, that needs sanding, painting and having new webbing put on the seating area, along with the purpose-made cushions. It needs to go, especially as its been stored sideways up in my living room for about a year .... yesterday, I took 3 v relevant pix and put it up for collection on my local recycling group. I really, really hope it goes.
    Retired August 2016
    • Aaleigha
    • By Aaleigha 14th Aug 17, 12:48 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 2,644 Thanks
    Aaleigha
    I love reading this thread for all the wonderful ideas to declutter items

I have just sold a chest on my local Facebook selling group it originally cost over 200 pound I used it for 10 years and daughter for 5, so we feel we had more than our money's worth. What I didn't realise it went to my daughters partners sister, so is still in the family. Sold for forty quid

I have never sold anything on the group before - so much easier than eBay

I would love to thank everyone that had mentioned it.

Now I would like help with a dilemma please,
    I am still on doing clothes that are only in my bedroom, as I have admitted to being a hoarder, there is a lot to do. I am sure you can imagine

It's all very overwhelming and I can only do a few things a day, my DH is brilliant, no nagging just helping.
    I have a short sleeved thin jumper that I really like, but doesn't fit, however now losing weight it will

So to keep or not
    What would you all do with it I know it will fit again, but will I still love it, I have a horrible feeling I love the idea of it.

H xx
    Last edited by Aaleigha; 14-08-2017 at 1:39 PM.
    NSD AUGUST - 4/19 no spend days this month

started a zero budget to save as much as I can
    2761 to date
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 14th Aug 17, 5:25 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 25,987 Thanks
    short_bird
    I have a short sleeved thin jumper that I really like, but doesn't fit, however now losing weight it will
    So to keep or not
    What would you all do with it I know it will fit again, but will I still love it, I have a horrible feeling I love the idea of it.
    Originally posted by Aaleigha
    I don't see anything wrong with keeping it: do you have enough space to make a "waiting for weight loss" drawer?
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • Aaleigha
    • By Aaleigha 14th Aug 17, 8:55 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 2,644 Thanks
    Aaleigha
    I don't see anything wrong with keeping it: do you have enough space to make a "waiting for weight loss" drawer?
    Originally posted by short_bird
    yes I do I have a large wheeled crate that hubby said could go in the loft thank you

it helps to have an unbiased opinion and if I decide that its not me later it can be sent away at the right time to let it go
    Hx

2761 to date
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 14th Aug 17, 10:33 PM
    • 5,421 Posts
    • 43,527 Thanks
    Igamogam
    yes I do I have a large wheeled crate that hubby said could go in the loft thank you

it helps to have an unbiased opinion and if I decide that its not me later it can be sent away at the right time to let it go
    Hx
    Originally posted by Aaleigha
    I would make a list of or take a picture of anything you are keeping for post weight loss - especially if going in the attic. That way you wont forget its there for when the time comes to reassess if you want it
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    • kittie
    • By kittie 15th Aug 17, 7:58 AM
    • 11,127 Posts
    • 62,074 Thanks
    kittie
    Its going to be a busy day, I feel it in my bones. Loads of washing first as its going to be good for drying

In the meantime I am slowly kondoing nespresso pods, yes ok, I got sucked into offers in the past and I packed them up in bags in the shed, for when visitors come but they would have lasted for years. Nespresso machine is out and I am having a double once every morning, already I am seeing a small space. When they are finished (months), then the machine will go

I wore a cream 3/4 coat/mac with a hood yesterday as rain threatened and it was horribly uncomfortable, far too hot, neither use nor ornament and looks brand new but it is going into my cs bag today, 100% polyester and didn`t breathe. Its completely unlike my lovely breathable gaberdine parka, the one I made and love. No effort to get rid of that cream coat now, when I dithered previously

Dgd was very grateful for 2 large really useful boxes containing sewing goodies, she is only 9 but getting keen on sewing. Rehomed and I am happy. Knitting is happening again, found a pattern using some stashed yarn, pleased about that, the last in a box and one more empty box. Slowly slowly, always with KM in mind
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 15th Aug 17, 8:38 AM
    • 9,304 Posts
    • 118,033 Thanks
    kazwookie
    I had a meet up with 2 lovely ladies from this thread in Norfolk last year it was those I'm sure it was this thread we were on kazwookie was definately one and other was a Polly

My brain has had a lot of sleep since then and messages deleted,
    Sorry for confusion.
    Originally posted by mrs-moneypenny
    Ever late again

Yes it was mav and myself, I'll text you, if you are read thing this.

On my way up tomorrow, Red Arrows!!
    Sun, Sea
    • Charly27
    • By Charly27 15th Aug 17, 8:59 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 2,536 Thanks
    Charly27
    Early rain gone and looks like another beautiful day in Norfolk. Yesterday we KM'd another two trailers of Laurel to the green waste at the recycling centre. That's 5 in total! We started out with the intention of 'pruning' then DH actually said "Does it spark joy in you?". Nearly wet myselfI don't like digging up living things but we never planted it and my goodness the light and space in our small garden we have created is unbelievable I'm almost busier in the summer holiday than at work but with different things. Slowly redoing books and clothes but to be honest they have never been a problem sine I first did them. My 'spark joy' receptors have been honed. I either get books from library or CS then return them or pass them on. Clothes I'm making myself to reduce fabric stash and making cards and presents as I go. I actually find it harder to part with ££££ as someone said a couple of days ago on here. I feel more in control of my choices. Weird stuff does happen. My therapy room is almost completely decluttered now just needs a good clean before I start doing massages part time alongside my pt teaching. I moved all my sewing stuff upstairs which makes more sense as it is now near the fabric. Right next stop paperwork. Enjoy your day all. Looking forward to more adventures on the thread. Enjoy red arrows.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts! DF Nerd # 1475
    17 projects in 2017 in memory of Soulie 2/17
    Reading challenge 11 /40

Keep calm and Kondo
    • Aaleigha
    • By Aaleigha 15th Aug 17, 10:40 AM
    • 394 Posts
    • 2,644 Thanks
    Aaleigha
    I would make a list of or take a picture of anything you are keeping for post weight loss - especially if going in the attic. That way you wont forget its there for when the time comes to reassess if you want it
    Originally posted by Igamogam
    Thank you that is such a good idea

2761 to date
    • This calls for cake
    • By This calls for cake 15th Aug 17, 11:12 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    This calls for cake
    Managed to have a go at the cupboard under the stairs over the weekend, got rid of 3 boxes of stuff, mostly paperwork bits that were filed but I did have about a binbag of stuff to throw/recycle, still have another box of stuff to go through and all my sewing supplies are in there but we can now access both the filing cabinet and my husbands gun cabinet without having to drag all sorts of stuff out into the living room which is good
    Last edited by This calls for cake; 15-08-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 15th Aug 17, 3:22 PM
    • 5,421 Posts
    • 43,527 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Fabulously sunny here have caught up on 'must do's' so now I feel a shed clearance coming on........a shed where I have stockpiled stuff I thought would be worth a punt on Eb*y. Having now sold everything except 2 items which are now in CS bag, from last listing I think I will have a sort out and see what can go on next - so much better organised than having 'Eb*y piles' all over the house as it was pre getting my act together
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 15th Aug 17, 4:33 PM
    • 11,270 Posts
    • 217,029 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Everyone's doing so well!

Great idea about photographing clothes (would be good for other things, too) going into storage for a while as out of sight is so easily out of mind, too.

I don't have a loft (flat dweller) but I have had some much-loved clothes end up too small and I'm dieting my way back into them. I have reversed hangers of things which don't fit atm, with a cardboard swing tag on the hanger with the size and the date last tried on. So I can try again every 3 months or so and see if they now fit.

I also have one end of the drawer where I keep casual trousers for the too-smalls, so I know the left isn't ready to be worn yet, but the pairs on the right are good to go. Simple system but working well for me.

Have now worn two more pencils down to stubs and discarded and was amazed to discover that there are only another couple in left from the big bundle of part-used pencils brought from the parental home. Am also using 40 year old letterheaded paper from my pal's business. He was storing two brand-new reams of it, so old that there have been two amendments to the phone number since, anyone remember them adding a 1 after the 0 on the area code, then adding another digit to your number to make it have six digits instead of five...........?

Completely useless to man or beast. I am also sorting out some of his paperwork, which involves a whole drawer of Stuff from the early nineties, which is taking up badly needed space. I went thru A-D last Saturday, which was quite a lot to vet and decided to shred or recycle, I'll see about doing another few letters' worth this coming weekend.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 15th Aug 17, 4:41 PM
    • 4,777 Posts
    • 68,895 Thanks
    VJsmum
    anyone remember them adding a 1 after the 0 on the area code, then adding another digit to your number to make it have six digits instead of five...........?
    Originally posted by GreyQueen

I very proudly still have a five digit phone number

Oops, met former colleagues / friends for lunch today and one who i inspired to declutter has Kondoed his wife....
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 16th Aug 17, 8:04 AM
    • 941 Posts
    • 15,950 Thanks
    Siebrie
    We just spent a long weekend at my parents' and had a great time! I managed to get schoolbags for dds at a decent price, my parents cleared out their linen cupboard and gave me three sets of lightly used king size duvet covers (mine are getting threadbare, so these are very welcome), some ovenware (which I will try out and then decide to keep or pass on) and about 30 cotton hankies (yay! I had to send quite a few of mine to the ragbag, so am really happy with the new lot. I prefer cotton to paper, and mine last about twenty years each).

My aunt and uncle are clearing out their 5-bed house of forty years, ready to move to a one-bed serviced apartment and gave us some drinking glasses and a pile of towels.

Lots of stuff accumulated, but I'll sort through it, and only keep what I really like. The rest can go in theattic 'for Africa' or 'for charity' and will leave within the next year.
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 6500,43= £ 5815.67
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 16th Aug 17, 8:54 AM
    • 3,106 Posts
    • 27,338 Thanks
    maddiemay
    I took the last bag of the LP records to the CS yesterday, I have enjoyed chatting with the volunteer there as she looked through them and we reminisced about time past and music tastes

Have had to put back my meet up with bestie by a couple of weeks so the bags for the CS in that town will have to hang around for a while longer, but have already looked out a few books to go locally, so trying to keep the momentum going
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,095Posts Today

8,355Users online

Martin's Twitter