Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dfvb
    • By dfvb 12th Aug 17, 5:50 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dfvb
    Applying for an apprenticeship (UK)
    • 12th Aug 17, 5:50 AM
    Applying for an apprenticeship (UK) 12th Aug 17 at 5:50 AM
    Hello everyone,
    I am a 29 year old female biomed graduate who doesn't have any experience working in the IT industry. Here is a typical job description/responsibilities: -To provide first line helpdesk support to all employees for hardware, software, photocopiers and telephone equipment.
    -To assist with the purchase, setting up, maintenance and repair of computers, audio-visual equipment, computer-linked equipment and computer-related equipment.
    -To install and configure software applications. -To configure hardware.
    -To help produce and maintain IT statistics, reports, checklists and other documentation as necessary. -To assist with the upkeep of the IT inventory.
    -To help maintain appropriate stock levels of computer consumables and accessories and to raise purchase orders as necessary ensuring that value for money is obtained.
    -To maintain satisfactory standards of safety and security in relation to computer rooms and equipment.
    -To set up, maintain and organise repairs for various computing and telephone equipment.
    -To work towards and complete an Level 3 for IT Professionals.
    -To be aware of and abide by all health and safety procedures and associated polices.
    -To proactively implement the company’s IT policies and procedures.
    -To undertake any other relevant duties as may reasonably be requested the manager.
    As this is an apprenticeship, there is going to be a lot of 'on the job' training, so I should be trained by the employer to perform all the job tasks.
    The actual qualification requirements simply include : 3 minimum, 5 GCSE (or equivalent), grade C or above in English and Maths. However a lot of employers ask for IT qualifications as a 'desired' requirement to have.
    I want to know what sort of IT qualifications/skills I could acquire by studying from home that could help me land an apprenticeship position. I know there is going to be a lot of young people applying, so I need to show my potential employer something that will help me stand out from the rest of the applicants.
    Furthermore any information on what I could expect in an IT apprenticeship will also help
    Thank you
Page 1
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 12th Aug 17, 6:13 AM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 12th Aug 17, 6:13 AM
    • 12th Aug 17, 6:13 AM
    If you have a degree it isn't going to be very very hard to get an apprenticeship.

I got a level 4 qualification and was refused several times even thoUgh it was in a different area of work to my qualifications.

Have you tried NHS as one trust ja hiring band 2s as an apprentice but yes you will have competition of younger people.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 12th Aug 17, 7:48 AM
    • 3,802 Posts
    • 6,217 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 12th Aug 17, 7:48 AM
    • 12th Aug 17, 7:48 AM
    Out of interest, why are you considering going back to basic apprenticeships in a different field, and why IT? Because, as I understand it, the boom in highly paid IT roles is largely over, and many people end up in dead end drudgery jobs which are not very well paid. You need to be something quite special to get on in IT now. You will cost more than the young apprentices, which also doesn't act in your favour; and, to be honest, these days there are 8 year olds more IT savvy than grown ups! I'm not insinuating that your are stupid - just that there are many reasons why got aren't going to be an attractive hire for an apprenticeship, and unless you have great skills, it isn't likely to be a good career move.
    • emsywoo123
    • By emsywoo123 12th Aug 17, 10:58 AM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 9,589 Thanks
    emsywoo123
    • 12th Aug 17, 10:58 AM
    • 12th Aug 17, 10:58 AM
    If you have a degree it isn't going to be very very hard to get an apprenticeship.

I got a level 4 qualification and was refused several times even thoUgh it was in a different area of work to my qualifications.

Have you tried NHS as one trust ja hiring band 2s as an apprentice but yes you will have competition of younger people.
    Originally posted by Sncjw
    Just as an aside, this ruling changed in May this year, and currently, so long as the role is significantly different to the degree, it is fine to do an apprenticeship.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 12th Aug 17, 11:10 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 12th Aug 17, 11:10 AM
    • 12th Aug 17, 11:10 AM
    its an apprenticeship so besides GCSE i wouldn't worry about qualifications.

The biggest issue will be explaining why a 29 y/o biomed grad is trying to get an apprenticeship. Im not saying its wrong etc, but you will be going against school leavers who are fresh into the jobs market and probably will know more about computers than you (and me).

Hello everyone,
    I am a 29 year old female biomed graduate who doesn't have any experience working in the IT industry. Here is a typical job description/responsibilities: -To provide first line helpdesk support to all employees for hardware, software, photocopiers and telephone equipment.
    -To assist with the purchase, setting up, maintenance and repair of computers, audio-visual equipment, computer-linked equipment and computer-related equipment.
    -To install and configure software applications. -To configure hardware.
    -To help produce and maintain IT statistics, reports, checklists and other documentation as necessary. -To assist with the upkeep of the IT inventory.
    -To help maintain appropriate stock levels of computer consumables and accessories and to raise purchase orders as necessary ensuring that value for money is obtained.
    -To maintain satisfactory standards of safety and security in relation to computer rooms and equipment.
    -To set up, maintain and organise repairs for various computing and telephone equipment.
    -To work towards and complete an Level 3 for IT Professionals.
    -To be aware of and abide by all health and safety procedures and associated polices.
    -To proactively implement the company’s IT policies and procedures.
    -To undertake any other relevant duties as may reasonably be requested the manager.
    As this is an apprenticeship, there is going to be a lot of 'on the job' training, so I should be trained by the employer to perform all the job tasks.
    The actual qualification requirements simply include : 3 minimum, 5 GCSE (or equivalent), grade C or above in English and Maths. However a lot of employers ask for IT qualifications as a 'desired' requirement to have.
    I want to know what sort of IT qualifications/skills I could acquire by studying from home that could help me land an apprenticeship position. I know there is going to be a lot of young people applying, so I need to show my potential employer something that will help me stand out from the rest of the applicants.
    Furthermore any information on what I could expect in an IT apprenticeship will also help
    Thank you
    Originally posted by dfvb
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 12th Aug 17, 2:47 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 12th Aug 17, 2:47 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 2:47 PM
    It's the funding that makes getting an apprenticeship difficult when you have a degree
    • emsywoo123
    • By emsywoo123 12th Aug 17, 4:33 PM
    • 4,952 Posts
    • 9,589 Thanks
    emsywoo123
    • 12th Aug 17, 4:33 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 4:33 PM
    It's the funding that makes getting an apprenticeship difficult when you have a degree
    Originally posted by Sncjw
    That is what has changed
    • Sanne
    • By Sanne 13th Aug 17, 8:05 AM
    • 337 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    Sanne
    • 13th Aug 17, 8:05 AM
    • 13th Aug 17, 8:05 AM
    I have had an apprentice at level 2 and 3 in IT (I left the company not long after he completed l2 though) - if you have any specific questions feel free to message me.

Why is it that you want to work in IT - and why an apprenticeship (as opposed to a grad programme maybe)?

Do you have any end goal in mind, I.e. what do you want to do in IT? It's a very broad field and there a numerous ways to get where you want to be.

Qualifications are all nice and well but, in the end, a lot of employers care more about experience. This may be in IT but may also be in customer services; at junior level like that I always feel I can teach the technical stuff if there is the attitude and aptitude to learn it. It's much more difficult to teach customer service focus and those soft skills. In the end, IT first line support is very much about providing good customer service - and I have gone for less technically qualified people in the past who had heaps of enthusiasm and a background in customer service.

If you want to look at qualifications you've got you fairly standard ones, Comptia A++ and Microsoft client certs (I.e. Windows 10). Comptia is probably easier with no experience, for the MS ones you need to have a good virtual environment to play around with.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

452Posts Today

4,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin