Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • asiav01
    • By asiav01 7th Aug 17, 9:42 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    asiav01
    Hire Purchase for used vehicle
    • 7th Aug 17, 9:42 PM
    Hire Purchase for used vehicle 7th Aug 17 at 9:42 PM
    Hello,

I need some advice. I found a used car on ebay which I would like to buy using HP.
    1. Do you know if this can be done with any online broker? Or can it only be done if bought from a dealer?
    2. Can I use the car for business purposes like car rental even if bought as a private person?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 7th Aug 17, 9:50 PM
    • 4,014 Posts
    • 3,434 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 7th Aug 17, 9:50 PM
    • 7th Aug 17, 9:50 PM
    Is the seller private or a dealer ? If a dealer, then there's a chance they may offer HP terms - though tread very carefully, and do your research thoroughly.

Business use ? No problem at all, you just need to notify your insurance that the car is used for business. Doesn't usually add much ( if anything ) to the premiums, depending upon the nature of your business ( running a taxi service, for example, is a bit different to using your car to travel to client sites ).

But really, more information required in order to give more meaningful advice.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Aug 17, 10:07 PM
    • 26,230 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Aug 17, 10:07 PM
    • 7th Aug 17, 10:07 PM
    I think the OP plans on hiring the vehicle out which maybe an issue for the lender.

Why buy it privately when you could probably get better value as a business?

How are you going to verify drivers indentities and take card payments?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • asiav01
    • By asiav01 10th Aug 17, 12:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    asiav01
    • 10th Aug 17, 12:41 PM
    • 10th Aug 17, 12:41 PM
    Hi,
    I am basically thinking about buying myself a Tesla and making it pay for itself by renting it. I am aware that it's not going to be easy etc. The cheapest option to buy the car I want is getting a used one from a private person, advertised on ebay or fb. I'm just feeling the waters right now, and will check and calculate everything before making any moves.

Thanks
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 10th Aug 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 5,838 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    • 10th Aug 17, 1:00 PM
    • 10th Aug 17, 1:00 PM
    car rental option

https://carclub.easycar.com/
    Downsized and mortgage free
    Dec 17 grocery challenge £89.65/ £120
    • Tiger26223
    • By Tiger26223 11th Aug 17, 9:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tiger26223
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:20 PM
    thinking of paying my car finance off
    • 11th Aug 17, 9:20 PM
    Hi Everyone

Can someone please help me with a good answer I bought a car on a hire purchase agreement about 4months ago I am now thinking of paying off the outstanding finance on it as I've taken out a loan to pay it off which is around £7385.79
    What my plan was is to sell it or part exchange the car for a cheaper car but then my budget wouldn't be that great and would only get me a car with a lot of miles on the clock which I think would cost me a lot of money in the long ran
    Would I be better off with just staying with the finance and paying the loan back
    Thanks
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 12th Aug 17, 9:59 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    rjwr
    • 12th Aug 17, 9:59 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 9:59 PM
    Hi Everyone

which is around £7385.79

Thanks
    Originally posted by Tiger26223
    that seems more exact rather than around. troll?
    But never spend money you don't have to buy things you don't want to impress people you don't like.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

2,781Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin