Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kaylalcfc
    • By kaylalcfc 11th Aug 17, 10:54 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    kaylalcfc
    tax refund confused
    • 11th Aug 17, 10:54 PM
    tax refund confused 11th Aug 17 at 10:54 PM
    I'm cashing in my private pension of 36k on Ill health grounds I've received my quote from aviva today they are using emergency tax code & taking nearly 11k off my lump sum payment 😮 they have advised I can claim some back off hmrc but I owe the hmrc 6k from 2008_2009 when I ceased self employment to care for my wife after she lost our daughter at birth she suffered with a severe mental breakdown 😢 I then informed hmrc I wasn't working anymore but they carried on sending tax return forms for 2 years even though I told them I was not working & kept charging me late fees anyway im wondering if I can appeal or is it to late? I'm also worried I cannot have a refund due to me owing them this bill? Thanks andy
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Aug 17, 12:08 PM
    • 22,325 Posts
    • 12,883 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Aug 17, 12:08 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 12:08 PM
    Duplicate post

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72976469#post72976469
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 12th Aug 17, 12:20 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 12th Aug 17, 12:20 PM
    • 12th Aug 17, 12:20 PM
    Surely the time to appeal was years ago.

Sounds a very sad situation but if you have chosen to ignore this or put it to one side for several years and only now consider it because of the pension tax then you really have no one to blame but yourself.

As far as this stopping you getting a tax refund then, as a user of the NHS and other government services, I hope HMRC deduct what you owe from the refund before they give you what's left.

Tax of £11k on the emergency tax code suggest a taxable pension payment of about £28k so if you have absolutely no other taxable income the tax due on £28k is roughly £3k so that will leave you with maybe £2k tax refund.

Did you consider taking part of the payment now and the rest after 5 April 2018?
    • purdyoaten2
    • By purdyoaten2 15th Aug 17, 10:51 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    purdyoaten2
    • 15th Aug 17, 10:51 AM
    • 15th Aug 17, 10:51 AM
    Surely the time to appeal was years ago.

Sounds a very sad situation but if you have chosen to ignore this or put it to one side for several years and only now consider it because of the pension tax then you really have no one to blame but yourself.

As far as this stopping you getting a tax refund then, as a user of the NHS and other government services, I hope HMRC deduct what you owe from the refund before they give you what's left.

Tax of £11k on the emergency tax code suggest a taxable pension payment of about £28k so if you have absolutely no other taxable income the tax due on £28k is roughly £3k so that will leave you with maybe £2k tax refund.

Did you consider taking part of the payment now and the rest after 5 April 2018?
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    I think that we need more information. The op has stated that £11000 has been deducted from his LUMP SUM payment. It could be that £36000 is his total lump sum with 25% tax free leaving £27000 taxable which is not too far from your estimate. However, if I am correct, the op would also have a continuing pension (£12000 per annum?). As I say, more clarification needed.
    purdyoaten lost his password
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,266Posts Today

7,840Users online

Martin's Twitter