Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • themofster
    • By themofster 12th Aug 17, 9:56 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    themofster
    Tax credits vs vouchers - two kids confusion!
    • 12th Aug 17, 9:56 AM
    Tax credits vs vouchers - two kids confusion! 12th Aug 17 at 9:56 AM
    Hi community! So the tax-free childcare pages on MSE are very clear about which option is best depending on your family type, however we appear to sit in a grey area and I'm hoping you lovely people can help where my brain has failed!

We have a 4 year old who will be starting school in September and will need pre and after school club, as well as half-term childcare. Currently only I receive childcare vouchers as my wife's employer isn't in the scheme.

We also have a newborn who will be going into full time childcare early 2018. Monthly childcare costs will be low at around £500 a month.

Both myself and my wife will then be working full time, earning less than £100k a year.

Should I apply for vouchers for the newborn or both of us move to the tax credits scheme? Can I apply for the 30 hrs free childcare until my son is 5 in April 2018 and stock up on vouchers then move to the tax credits scheme?

Any clarity and advice would be appreciated!
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,238Posts Today

7,739Users online

Martin's Twitter