Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Robinson crusoe
    • By Robinson crusoe 8th Aug 17, 7:12 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Robinson crusoe
    Electricity bill
    • 8th Aug 17, 7:12 PM
    Electricity bill 8th Aug 17 at 7:12 PM
    Good evening everybody,
    Here's my first post, hope that is in the right place. I am in dispute with British Gas, over, a bill for an empty property, they changed my tariff, to one that included a daily standing charge, and as the property was empty this obviously built up over,a period of time.
    I rang British Gas, call centre, to complain, who said that the charges, were valid, and due to miss communication...they arranged for the service fuse to be removed, but still insisted that I was liable to pay for the mounting standing charge, even though no one was in the property, and totally unable, to even use any electricity due to the service fuse issue !!
    I am being severely intimidated, with debt collectors to pay, but don't really know my legal position.
    Can anyone other advice please.
    I do have photographic evidence ( date stamped )

Many thanks
Page 1
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 8th Aug 17, 8:01 PM
    • 3,683 Posts
    • 1,463 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 8th Aug 17, 8:01 PM
    • 8th Aug 17, 8:01 PM
    Good evening everybody,
    Here's my first post, hope that is in the right place. I am in dispute with British Gas, over, a bill for an empty property, they changed my tariff, to one that included a daily standing charge, and as the property was empty this obviously built up over,a period of time.
    I rang British Gas, call centre, to complain, who said that the charges, were valid, and due to miss communication...they arranged for the service fuse to be removed, but still insisted that I was liable to pay for the mounting standing charge, even though no one was in the property, and totally unable, to even use any electricity due to the service fuse issue !!
    I am being severely intimidated, with debt collectors to pay, but don't really know my legal position.
    Can anyone other advice please.
    I do have photographic evidence ( date stamped )

Many thanks
    Originally posted by Robinson crusoe
    I got as far as standing charge

Which BG tariff were you on previously that had no standing charge???

The standing charge will pale into insignificance compared to the other costs associated with an effectively abandoned property.

Your legal position is that you are in debt to British Gas.
    Last edited by footyguy; 08-08-2017 at 8:03 PM.
    • Robinson crusoe
    • By Robinson crusoe 8th Aug 17, 8:17 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robinson crusoe
    • 8th Aug 17, 8:17 PM
    • 8th Aug 17, 8:17 PM
    The tariff was an economy seven type......originally, higher rate day, and lower rate night.

Property was for sale, for a long period of time.....now sold.

How can I be in debt for a service that I could not obtain for over 6 months ?

But thanks for the reply....appreciated
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 8th Aug 17, 8:38 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 8th Aug 17, 8:38 PM
    • 8th Aug 17, 8:38 PM
    You has the service. The fact that you chose not to use it is neither here nor there.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Robinson crusoe
    • By Robinson crusoe 8th Aug 17, 8:49 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robinson crusoe
    • 8th Aug 17, 8:49 PM
    • 8th Aug 17, 8:49 PM
    It was not a choice situation.....

I was not living in the property

....and the "service" was withdrawn, by the fact that the service fuse had been removed...not at my request !
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 9th Aug 17, 8:43 AM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 1,478 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 9th Aug 17, 8:43 AM
    • 9th Aug 17, 8:43 AM
    Are you saying that the Service Fuse had already been removed when you purchased the property ?.

If this is the case you may have an out - Ofgem have said that it's not until Energy supplies have been consumed, that a deemed contract exitists beween the supplier and the new owner of a property
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 9th Aug 17, 7:22 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 9th Aug 17, 7:22 PM
    • 9th Aug 17, 7:22 PM
    OK, reading your post again. You would be responsible for any standing charges up to the point when your supply was disconnected. Whether you were living there or not is irrelevant.

After your supply was disconnected, you had no supply. You should not be paying for anything after then. If they are still charging you, raise a formal complaint. If that gets you nowhere, complain to the Energy Ombudsman https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy/complain-now
    If it sticks, force it.
    • Robinson crusoe
    • By Robinson crusoe 9th Aug 17, 8:22 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robinson crusoe
    • 9th Aug 17, 8:22 PM
    Electricity bill
    • 9th Aug 17, 8:22 PM
    Hi there ..... no the service fuse was not removed, until I complained to British Gas, about the billing......probably, round about last August...did tell them not to remove it....but they went ahead, and removed it anyway !
    • Robinson crusoe
    • By Robinson crusoe 9th Aug 17, 8:34 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robinson crusoe
    • 9th Aug 17, 8:34 PM
    • 9th Aug 17, 8:34 PM
    Hi Ectophile ... fully agree.... I've told British Gas the same.....Will pay up until service fuse was removed....but NOT while there was no possibility of using
    any !

There response was that,I am liable to pay, and the only circumstance, were I would not have to pay, is if I had the meter removed ! ....but would have had to pay all charges to have it reconnected again !!

Have gone through the energy ombudsman....but just wanted me to obtain a deadlock letter from British Gas....which they would not supply !
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th Aug 17, 4:32 PM
    • 3,683 Posts
    • 1,463 Thanks
    footyguy
    The tariff was an economy seven type......originally, higher rate day, and lower rate night.

Property was for sale, for a long period of time.....now sold.

How can I be in debt for a service that I could not obtain for over 6 months ?

But thanks for the reply....appreciated
    Originally posted by Robinson crusoe
    All British Gas E7 tariffs have standing charges.

Glad you've sold the property at last. You can use the proceeds to settle your debts.

Good luck!
    • Robinson crusoe
    • By Robinson crusoe 10th Aug 17, 11:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robinson crusoe
    Not familiar with British Gas E7 tariffs....but when I originally signed up with them, there were no standing charges !

....and as far as "using the proceeds to settle your debts" ..... this was why I first came into this forum.... as I really don't believe that it is my debt !!

...so time will tell.....
    • Buckyboy04
    • By Buckyboy04 11th Aug 17, 6:56 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Buckyboy04
    Hi, firstly, for years there were no standing charges and very recently they decided to reintroduce standing charges, with the blessing of the authorities, may I add. I would write to them and send a copy to ofgem asking them what their position on the complaint is because you are not satisfied with their previous responses. Also add that they have to respond to you within 14 days or you will seek legal advice as they are breaking the terms of their contract if they don't respond to your complaint and for not for adhering to their own terms and conditions. Also get in touch with your local CAB as they provide with amazing help with these companies. Your best option if you are renting your property out is to move away from Companies who operate a standing charge without provisions for landlords.. I hope this helps!
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 11th Aug 17, 8:51 PM
    • 2,739 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    Ectophile
    If you can't get a deadlock letter from British Gas, then you have to wait 8 weeks from your initial complaint, then go back to the ombudsman again.
    If it sticks, force it.
    • Robinson crusoe
    • By Robinson crusoe 13th Aug 17, 9:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robinson crusoe
    Hi Buckyboy...thanks for your response...hadn't thought to contact CAB......well certainly consider it as an option...thanks again !

Hi Ectophile.... it's been much longer than 8 weeks.... I think that, as a first step,I will try the ombudman again.... I'm not sure, from their response, wether they fully understood my position, the first time that I contacted them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,913Posts Today

7,599Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin