Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 82
    • Simon_123_
    • By Simon_123_ 1st Aug 17, 12:37 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simon_123_
    Who can go to the Ombudsman?

The Ombudsman has said it will only look at cases based on ‘fairness' criteria – in other words, if you have been harshly or unfairly treated. It's specifically noted three different situations where it may take up cases.

They can either apply to your situation now, or at some point in the past. Importantly, if you're no longer in hardship, the Ombudsman will look at how your bank treated you at the time and whether you're still struggling. To help your case, you should have contacted your bank for help when you had the difficulties.

Sounds like you could still claim even if you are now financially stable. I hope so because I'm trying to claim back nearly £3000 over a 3 year period 12-15. I'll let you know how I get on.
    • matti128
    • By matti128 1st Aug 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    matti128
    Hi,

I appealed to my bank a few years ago re a mis-sold bank account (NatWest). I then forgot about it as I didn't get a reply. I tried to this again last year and was told to appeal to the Financial Ombudsman. However, as I had already complained the year earlier, I was told that my time to appeal had gone and I was unable to make the appeal to the ombudsman and couldn't open a new case as it had already been looked at by the bank who rejected the initial case.

How can I open a new case (for the same account) so I can make my appeal to the ombudsman where I am sue, based on others stories, I have a very good chance of winning?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 1st Aug 17, 10:36 AM
    • 88,780 Posts
    • 54,116 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Sounds like you could still claim even if you are now financially stable. I hope so because I'm trying to claim back nearly £3000 over a 3 year period 12-15. I'll let you know how I get on.
    If you are not in current financial hardship then you will not meet the current financial hardship criteria.

If you are in current financial hardship, the bank will consider a range of solutions. One of these is refunding some charges but it is not the only solution available. They can include suspension of charges for the next x months or putting you on a debt management plan.

When a refund of charges is offered by the bank, it tends to the last 6-12 months worth. They have been known to go back further but it depends on the severity of the current financial hardship.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 1st Aug 17, 10:41 AM
    • 88,780 Posts
    • 54,116 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi,

I appealed to my bank a few years ago re a mis-sold bank account (NatWest). I then forgot about it as I didn't get a reply. I tried to this again last year and was told to appeal to the Financial Ombudsman. However, as I had already complained the year earlier, I was told that my time to appeal had gone and I was unable to make the appeal to the ombudsman and couldn't open a new case as it had already been looked at by the bank who rejected the initial case.

How can I open a new case (for the same account) so I can make my appeal to the ombudsman where I am sue, based on others stories, I have a very good chance of winning?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Originally posted by matti128
    This thread is not about packaged bank accounts.

However, in answer to your question, you do not get to open a new case. Its game over.

Also, you do not have a strong chance at the ombudsman. They reject most packaged bank account complaints. Indeed, the uphold rate is running at around just 16%.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
    • angel_whip
    • By angel_whip 9th Aug 17, 8:43 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    angel_whip
    Resolver?
    Hi

Helping my OH sort out his finances - he's still on a debt management plan and makes goodwill payments to other lenders (setup before DMP) but now back on top of mortgage (until recently 3 months behind).

Having just used Resolver for PPI elements (awaiting results) wondering if any way can do this for bank charges?

Thanks in advance
    • Nearlyold
    • By Nearlyold 9th Aug 17, 9:57 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    Nearlyold
    Your OH should talk to his bank and see if they can help (if he has not already done so), if he is currently in financial hardship they may be willing to make a goodwill gesture by waiving charges for a period or similar. Sending in a complaint about past bank charges unless they were incorrectly applied will get him nowhere, (unless you are talking about packaged account fees).
    • jmjames1234
    • By jmjames1234 15th Aug 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jmjames1234
    can i still reclaim?
    Hi all
    Been tidying up some age old paperwork, and discovered old statements from my wifes accounts before we were married, the accounts were closed n 2006 . The charges on them are crazy so I followed the steps on MSE to ask for the charges back. I've got a letter back from Lloyds basically saying they won't give me anything as it is beyond 6 years, they also state that the ombudsmen would agree.
    Is this worth pursuing? and if so how do I answer the bank?
    thats
    J
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 15th Aug 17, 10:36 AM
    • 88,780 Posts
    • 54,116 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi all
    Been tidying up some age old paperwork, and discovered old statements from my wifes accounts before we were married, the accounts were closed n 2006 . The charges on them are crazy so I followed the steps on MSE to ask for the charges back. I've got a letter back from Lloyds basically saying they won't give me anything as it is beyond 6 years, they also state that the ombudsmen would agree.
    Is this worth pursuing? and if so how do I answer the bank?
    thats
    J
    Originally posted by jmjames1234
    No. The banks won the unfair charges case back in 2009. There hasnt been any claiming back of unfair charges since then.

The only thing they or the FOS look at now are current hardship cases where goodwill refunds may be given. However, that will not apply in your case, even if you are in hardship, as you are not a current customer of theirs.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Aug 17, 11:35 AM
    • 19,041 Posts
    • 9,162 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I've got a letter back from Lloyds basically saying they won't give me anything as it is beyond 6 years, they also state that the ombudsmen would agree.
    Originally posted by jmjames1234
    Even if it had been more recently than six years ago you still wouldn't have received a refund of your wife's bank charges.
    Nowadays, only people in the Bank's definition of CURRENT hardship are sometimes granted such refunds.

Your wife no longer even has an account with this bank and her charges are therefore historical.

The MSE article does point all this out, but many still seem to follow the steps regardless.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,802Posts Today

6,694Users online

Martin's Twitter