Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 3:43 PM
    • 9,342Posts
    • 17,803Thanks
    zippychick
    Disappearing Threads and the like
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:43 PM
    Disappearing Threads and the like 17th Jul 17 at 3:43 PM
    Hi All

I wanted to post this as a new thread to ensure everyone was kept informed. A couple of very popular threads have been auto deleted by the system, and this has caused much frustration (understandably)

Having spoken to Andrea & the Forum team, it has been confirmed the team are investigating and reviewing the system (when it deletes threads like this). The team appreciate being made aware of instances like this so thank you all.

Some updates as provided by Andrea (who may comment as well)

* I am able to provide missing data or information from the missing threads, if someone can help me with keywords to find them. I have posted the most up to date weight list that I know of on the new weightloss thread.

* Sadly, myself or the Forum team aren't able to reinstate threads auto deleted in this way. The forum team have confirmed it's for legal reasons as we would be deemed as "publishing" the information, and would be liable for the content on the threads. I'm unable to comment on or discuss the teams stance on this. I first checked they were happy with the way I have explained this

* It may be a good idea for you between you to monitor large threads and consider starting a new one if a thread is getting quite large. This would ensure we are retaining as much information as possible, as we can link to the old ones. If anyone needs help with hyper links this old thread from Squeaky explains it fantastically

I really appreciate everyones understanding on this.

I'll leave this open for a short while and will close later on.

Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 2
    • TiredTrophy
    • By TiredTrophy 19th Jul 17, 7:51 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 6,627 Thanks
    TiredTrophy
    The position of the spam button should be moved further in to prevent accidentally hitting it. Even though I have a large tablet, it is easily done when picking up a device and more so if its small or one is clumsy.I 3xpand the screen to lose the side bar to increase the print size; this puts the spam button under my right thumb! The least disruptive way might be to push the whole button array to the centre of the message area but leave them in the same order.
    I also am having to constantly sign in. Is there an attack on the site?

I really appreciate the forum amd the work that must go into keeping it going. Thank you.
    Last edited by TiredTrophy; 19-07-2017 at 7:59 AM. Reason: More info
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 19th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    Hi everyone!

Firstly a huge thanks to zippychick for flagging the disappearing threads up to us

Secondly, don't worry, there isn't a technical reason for these long running threads being removed.

Simply put, the "spam button" was clicked on them enough times that they were automatically deleted.

In the two instances we're aware of we believe this was just down to forum members accidentally clicking the button. These things do happen sadly.

As zippychick explained, we very sadly can't reinstate the threads but it's best to look on the bright side - often a shiny brand new thread can give us a fresh start and help our motivation.

Thanks for your patience with this everyone, it really is appreciated.

Andrea
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea

How do you accidentally press the correct buttons repeatedly and not notice the huge square on the screen warning you?
    Last edited by honeythewitch; 19-07-2017 at 12:48 PM.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 19th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 4,763 Posts
    • 20,778 Thanks
    Slinky
    How do you accidentally press the correct buttons repeatedly and not notice the huge square on the screen warning you?
    Originally posted by honeythewitch
    No idea, but I've only noticed today it's possible to mark your own postings as Spam!
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 20th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 9,342 Posts
    • 17,803 Thanks
    zippychick
    thanks to those who have started new thread

Also i've had some very kind thankful comments in threads and a lovely PM of thanks, you're all too cute!

Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• cafelady
    • By cafelady 22nd Jul 17, 9:09 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    cafelady
    I actually think it's good practice to restart long running threads, say yearly. I think long running threads with hundreds and hundreds of pages can put off new people from joining in. There's so much to read through and they can seem a bit overwhelming to newcomers.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 22nd Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 2,794 Posts
    • 18,012 Thanks
    caronc
    I actually think it's good practice to restart long running threads, say yearly. I think long running threads with hundreds and hundreds of pages can put off new people from joining in. There's so much to read through and they can seem a bit overwhelming to newcomers.
    Originally posted by cafelady
    That's good point though some threads get huge quite quickly so a year would be too long. On another forum I belong to threads need to be "capped" at 2000 posts and a new one started.
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • Ozalman
    • By Ozalman 14th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Ozalman
    Hi,

I'm posting on a thread. After a day or even less my post in the thread and even some others after me disappear. How can this happen? Is someone deleting my post and others?
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 14th Nov 17, 7:15 PM
    • 7,878 Posts
    • 26,781 Thanks
    Primrose
    I must plead gui,ty as charged for occasionally clicking on a Spam button even though I am immediately mortified and “unrepor” it immediately. As somebody else has pointed out, its incredibly easy to do this accidentally on a tablet because most of us are right handed and flick up screens on the right hand part of the screen,exactly where the SPAM button is located.

Could the SPAM button be relocated to where the THANKS button is found? I think might prevent a lot of accidents with tablet users.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Nov 17, 2:35 PM
    • 9,342 Posts
    • 17,803 Thanks
    zippychick
    Hi,

I'm posting on a thread. After a day or even less my post in the thread and even some others after me disappear. How can this happen? Is someone deleting my post and others?
    Originally posted by Ozalman
    Hi, I can see two posts. This one, and the one here

If you believe posts are being deleted on you, please contact the team on forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Spam posts and duplicate posts are most commonly deleted

Kindest regards
    Zip

• zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Nov 17, 2:37 PM
    • 9,342 Posts
    • 17,803 Thanks
    zippychick
    I must plead gui,ty as charged for occasionally clicking on a Spam button even though I am immediately mortified and “unrepor” it immediately. As somebody else has pointed out, its incredibly easy to do this accidentally on a tablet because most of us are right handed and flick up screens on the right hand part of the screen,exactly where the SPAM button is located.

Could the SPAM button be relocated to where the THANKS button is found? I think might prevent a lot of accidents with tablet users.
    Originally posted by Primrose
    Really great feedback but might be better posted up in the Site feedback board Primrose. I don't think your intended audience will see your post here

Kindest regards

Zip

• Primrose
    • By Primrose 17th Nov 17, 3:32 PM
    • 7,878 Posts
    • 26,781 Thanks
    Primrose
    I would report it there if only I could find it, but have searched and can't find anything ! Does anybody have a link please?
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 17th Nov 17, 5:32 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 2,679 Thanks
    I Love comps
    [QUOTE=Primrose;73426293]I would report it there if only I could find it, but have searched and can't find anything ! Does anybody have a link please?[/QUOTE
    Primroseif you look at zippychicks last post then you need to click on the site feedback in blue - this will take you to where you need to go.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

105Posts Today

3,180Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin