HUGE electricity meter reading

Comments

• Hi

What are the first four digits of your meter serial number (don't print all of it we can find out where you live!)

If it is Z07E that means your meter was manufactured in 2007. Anything lower than that, would suggest it is a reconditioned meter and therefore would be more likely to have a higher than zero read.

Also, is it a digital (lcd) reading or dials? The dial meters are more likely to be reconditioned.
  • russ21282
    russ21282 Posts: 91 Forumite
    the first 4 digits are A07X and it is digital
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    That's a 2007 meter, so it's looking like it was new when it went in.
    You could see if you can get hold of OnStream (your meter operator) to see if they have any records that might not have made it to BG.
    They may not speak to you though, so be prepared.

Any reason why you havn't told anyone else in the house? I assume they are going to be helping out with the bills?
  • russ21282
    russ21282 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Thanks for the reply SwanJon, bad news i guess. we've not told anyone on the basis we wanted to make sure the readings were accurate, so not change anything and take the readings. So far we've been averaging 129 units a week since i informed BG, which is round about what we have been paying for the past 5 years, taking into account price increases, so there still seems to be something a miss.
  • Poosmate
    Poosmate Posts: 3,126 Forumite
    Hi all.

This is very interesting! I was going to post a comment about my new electric meter fitted by British Gas - well it's more about my bill.

My new meter was fitted 23/01/08. I'm pretty sure it was at zero. A few days ago I received my latest electric bill. I was quite chuffed because my consumption has gone down and so my monthly payments are being reduced by £18. Yay!

Whoah! Stop right there! Noooo!!!!

I re-checked the bill (as it was estimated). The bill covers the electricity used for only 41 days of the 91 days of the last quarter!!!! NONE of the electricity used since the new meter was put in has been calculated or charged for, although they have put an estimate for the new meter of 392 (I think thats Khw). The actual reading is almost twice that.

I have sent them an email asking why this electric has not been included on my bill - I have yet to receive a reply.

From reading these posts I am guessing that they are having a bit of a problem with these new meters. If these meters are running fast, that's one thing but there surely is no reason why they couldn't do the sums and calculate the cost for me.

I am really worried now as I don't want to face a bill in June of 6 months especially if I am (from May) going to be underpaying them!!

I shall be reading my meter on a daily basis from now too. Thanks for that advice.

What I would say to anyone who has had a new meter fitted is to make sure that your electricity consumption since it's fitting has been included in your latest bill.

Hope you get it sorted.

Poo
    One of Mike's Mob, Street Found Money £1.66, Non Sealed Pot (5p,2p,1p)£6.82? (£0 banked), Online Opinions 5/50pts, Piggy points 15, Ipsos 3930pts (£25+), Valued Opinions £12.85, MutualPoints 1786, Slicethepie £0.12, Toluna 7870pts, DFD Computer says NO!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Poosmate wrote: »
    Hi all.

This is very interesting! I was going to post a comment about my new electric meter fitted by British Gas - well it's more about my bill.

My new meter was fitted 23/01/08. I'm pretty sure it was at zero. A few days ago I received my latest electric bill. I was quite chuffed because my consumption has gone down and so my monthly payments are being reduced by £18. Yay!

Whoah! Stop right there! Noooo!!!!

I re-checked the bill (as it was estimated). The bill covers the electricity used for only 41 days of the 91 days of the last quarter!!!! NONE of the electricity used since the new meter was put in has been calculated or charged for, although they have put an estimate for the new meter of 392 (I think thats Khw). The actual reading is almost twice that.

I have sent them an email asking why this electric has not been included on my bill - I have yet to receive a reply.

From reading these posts I am guessing that they are having a bit of a problem with these new meters. If these meters are running fast, that's one thing but there surely is no reason why they couldn't do the sums and calculate the cost for me.

I am really worried now as I don't want to face a bill in June of 6 months especially if I am (from May) going to be underpaying them!!

I shall be reading my meter on a daily basis from now too. Thanks for that advice.

What I would say to anyone who has had a new meter fitted is to make sure that your electricity consumption since it's fitting has been included in your latest bill.

Hope you get it sorted.

Poo

Well if your reading is almost twice the estimated 392(it is kWh) you have been undercharged approx £40.

So if you don't spend the £18 by which they have reduced your DD you will be OK.

I don't think your "guess" that they have a problem with these meters 'running fast' has any foundation.
  • Poosmate
    Cardew, other people have posted that they feel these new meters are running fast - I myself have not tested their theories (yet).

The foundation of my guess are the posts on this thread and the fact that my estimated consumption of electric through the new meter has not been calculated or charged on my bill.

Why?

There could be another reason - maybe someone forgot to press the button that does the calculation? Maybe they have discovered a major flaw in their software whereby it can't calculate from one reading how much electric is used on Economy 7 so it can't differentiate the high and low rates? Who knows?

I just don't want to end up being in debit with them. I don't want to find that because of their incompetence my monthly payments will rise by £30 or more in the latter half of the year (coming up to Christmas).

Poo
    One of Mike's Mob, Street Found Money £1.66, Non Sealed Pot (5p,2p,1p)£6.82? (£0 banked), Online Opinions 5/50pts, Piggy points 15, Ipsos 3930pts (£25+), Valued Opinions £12.85, MutualPoints 1786, Slicethepie £0.12, Toluna 7870pts, DFD Computer says NO!
  • Hi

ALL new meters are calibrated and tested prior to installation and that may be where the "speeding" lies.

If the previous meter was running slow, the new one will "appear" to be running fast.

My understanding of Poos invoice, would be a "final bill" on the old meter. Nothing sinister there, the next invoice should be from zero.
  • Poosmate
    Hi UtilityMan,

If that is right what you say about my bill being a "final bill" that is really scary!

There is nothing on the bill to say this and nothing about the lack of charges for the electric I have used since Jan 23rd. As my next bill is due in June that means they would be charging for 6 months worth of electricity and if you're not careful you could end up way out of control by that time.

It's a good job I re-checked my bill otherwise I'd be blissfully unaware of this timebomb.

I have received a reply from BG stating they have estimated my useage to March 12th as 00392 (day) and 0392 (night). They are asking me to submit a new reading but there is only 1 number to read now. Which section do I enter it into? The Day rate section or the Night rate section? I don't have a clue what tariff I'm on now. Their website for tariffs is worse than useless! All it shows is how much I can save by doing this or that! I tried to find their actuall prices but all I get is a table showing everyone elses prices but not theirs!

I'm getting scared and confused by it all now - and somewhat annoyed!

I need to do some research!

Thanks

Poo
  • Hi Poo (you must be eeyore as you're his mate?)

The "final bill" in apostrophes was, that it's not final, just final for the old meter.

Jeez, regarding the new meter, it must be single rate, with one read?

Hence their estimate it split 50/50 392 + 392, and your usage is double 392!

Your best bet is to phone them and explain the meter has been exchanged from a two rate to a single rate meter.

Do you (sorry did you!) have Economy 7 in your property?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure