Fair cost for landlords gas safety certificate

Comments

• We pay £39 each and we live in an expensive area.

I suggest thats a good price for our location.

CLICK: Gas Safety Certificate

Hope that helps.

kAREN.

+1

Two words, quick and efficient. Unfortunately I used someone else for my EPC but would have saved a small amount with Aaardvark.

Would recommend highly.
  • Bearing in mind while a landlords cert is being carried out the boiler should be serviced £39.00 is to cheap,I would say that would be a rush job, or away of getting in to peoples properties to make up or find other work. £55.00 is a fair price for a proper job, go to the gas safe website and type in your postcode for local engineers, this way you can guarantee they are local and they are who they say they are.
  • Any one looking to get a gas safety certificate done needs to check that whoever is doing it is Gas Safe Registered and also registered for the appliances that need to be checked. I've seen lots of different prices in the previous comments and some are very low. There are certain checks that have to be carried out in order to confirm safe operation of appliances. Looking for a cheap price for these essential checks to be done could potentially end up costing you far more if something goes wrong and you can't show that the certificate was issues by someone who was fully competent to carry out the work. If done correctly, it's not a simple walk in, have a quick look round and walk out job! Gas rates, tightness(soundness) working pressure, safety devices, thermostats, flue flow and spillage and preferably flu gas analysis should be carried out. Also the usual visual inspections both inside and outside and where a flue runs through loft and inspection here also. I certainly couldn't do all this for under £65.00! unless I was giving a discount for quantity of work (80+ houses) for an agent or Landlord.

Hope this helps

Jeff
  • lfcdream
    lfcdream Posts: 18 Forumite
    any recomendations for lancashire?
  • I do a gas flue analysis as part of the check and charge £45. The flue analyser costs £600 and has to be serviced and calibrated once a year and this year that cost me £280. So please don't dumb down the job we do that actually has people's lives on the line!! Landlord's are getting heavily fined and even imprisoned for not getting these checks done. People don't think twice about paying £50 for a pair of shoes but don't want to fork out to know lives are safe!
  • JV_Trades wrote: »
    Any one looking to get a gas safety certificate done needs to check that whoever is doing it is Gas Safe Registered and also registered for the appliances that need to be checked. I've seen lots of different prices in the previous comments and some are very low. There are certain checks that have to be carried out in order to confirm safe operation of appliances. Looking for a cheap price for these essential checks to be done could potentially end up costing you far more if something goes wrong and you can't show that the certificate was issues by someone who was fully competent to carry out the work. If done correctly, it's not a simple walk in, have a quick look round and walk out job! Gas rates, tightness(soundness) working pressure, safety devices, thermostats, flue flow and spillage and preferably flu gas analysis should be carried out. Also the usual visual inspections both inside and outside and where a flue runs through loft and inspection here also. I certainly couldn't do all this for under £65.00! unless I was giving a discount for quantity of work (80+ houses) for an agent or Landlord.

Hope this helps

Jeff

I agree, as i room sealed boiler is a lot quicker and easier to check than an open flue, less tests have to be done and we don't have the cost of smoke matches and pellets etc. so we have to try to find a happy medium as to where we are making money on some jobs but losing money on others due to the time it takes.
    So my advice is find someone who will be open and honest, and not worry to much about the cost of a cert. Unless you are willing to put that up against the cost of your tenants life, knowing that you have employed a responsible person (that may charge more) has to be better the the idea of causing someones death over a few pounds.

Adrian
  • Io07
    Io07 Posts: 363 Forumite
    Hello
    Resurrecting an old thread but can anyone reccommend someone for a gas safety cerificate in Birmingham please
    Thanks v much
  • To fair a Gas safety Certificate without proof of Service isn't worth the paper it's written on. So unless your paying someone else to service your appliances (unlikely) then you are not keeping the right side of the law and you are wasting money. Gas Certificates are like an MOT for the car.. only good for the day is was issued. An annual service on the other hand assures you of safe economical running for the next 12 months. Time wise if I were to service and safty check a whole property say 3 appliances and pipe work, pressues and emmissions, flues and ventilation. Allowing for travelling time would take me best part of 4 hours as all appliances need to be stripped down, gas fires taken out etc. Expenses would be about £10-£20 depending how far I travelled and how much materials I used..smoke bombs, gas tape, seals.. leak detector...etc..etc..

So if I charged £39 like some are saying I would make about £19 minuss business and professional costs, liability insurance (expensive for Gas Engineers) and Tax... would leave me with less than £8. For 4 hours work... which is illegal as there is a minimum wage.

I will however happily do a saftey check only for £39.
  • I charge £55 for the area I work in and I'm about middle to cheap. Thats 3 appliances, its an extra £5 for every appliance over the 3.
    I dont think you're going to get a standard charge as areas with a large contingent of RGI's will probably be cheaper as there's more competition.
    3 appliances should take at least 45mins, I've heard of them being done in 15mins which is, to be frank, dangerous and bloody impossible!
    Dont go for cheap, go for trustworthy and honest. Ask around, or, stay and watch the RGI as he works, this seems to focus them on their work. Have a look at the many sites listing the checks required during a test as your knowledge will empower you, just a tad!
  • Anyone recommend/ quot one in South Devon area? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport