WARNING ebay and paypal spoof emails

Options

Comments

• Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    I got this one yesterday:

PayPal has been receiving complaints from our customers for unauthorised use of the PayPal Online accounts. As a result we periodically review PayPal Accounts and temporarily restrict access of those accounts which we think are vunerable to the unauthorised use.

This message has been sent to you from PayPal because we have noticed invalid login attempts into your account, due to this we are temporarily limiting and restricting your account access until we confirm your identity.

We requested information from you for the following reason:
    Our system detected unusual activity associated with your account.

Case ID Number: PP-236-469-8172

This is a reminder to log in to Account as soon as possible. Be sure to log in securely by open the link. Once you log in,
    you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

Restore Your PayPal Account and complete the "Steps to Remove Limitations."

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved.
    Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure.
    We encourage you to log in to your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.

Sincerely, PayPal Account Review Department

Copyright © 1999-2008 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.
    Société en Commandite par Actions
    Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg
    RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PayPal Email ID PP927
    I logged into Paypal (not via the link on the e-mail obviously!) and lo and behold, no mention of anything amiss.
  • alwright
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    This thread is intended as a warning about spoof emails knows as 'phishing' mails that purport to be from ebay or paypal and which are designed to get users to reveal their details to a third party.

These emails are very common but are equally easy to spot and all tips are wecome. Basically this is what ebay have to say on the subject:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-spoof.html

This is important to remember:

If eBay requests information from you, a copy of that email will be in the My Messages box in My eBay. You can submit the requested information using My eBay.

This is what paypal have to say about these emails:
    https://www.paypal.com/helpcenter/main.jsp;jsessionid=HGsLFcxQzh7wsjQdLTH210spvQxrVlnRMmPphJFzg0dsYp2hpVS2!-1068208876?locale=en_GB&_dyncharset=UTF-8&countrycode=GB&cmd=_help&serverInstance=9003&t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&solutionId=38513&isSrch=Yes

The first thing to look at when you get an email you are not expecting is how it is addressed. Ebay and paypal will always use your real name as registered with them, so any mail that starts 'dear user' or 'dear email address' is almost certainly a fake and you don't even have to read any further.

Any emails you receive that you are unhappy about can be sent to [EMAIL="spoof@ebay.co.uk"]spoof@ebay.co.uk[/EMAIL] but be aware that they default to confirming that everything is a fake, even the real ones!

This post is work in progress so I will be back later to add more. However please feel free to add more posts to this thread. let's stay safe out there!

Hi there,
    I recently had occasion to direct two emails to ebay's spoof centre. One came back as a definite spoof, the other was a genuine message. I would conclude from this that they judge each email individually and they don't conclude they are spoofs en-mass as it were.
  • Weymouth_Man
    Weymouth_Man Posts: 733 Forumite
    Options
    Just to share with you my nightmares I've been going through, in the last two weeks some person:mad: gained access to my account started selling items between £350 to £600, in doing so also locked me out of my account.

At the time I did not have the eBay Toolbar installed (I have now), problem now sorted but so frustrating when you can not even see what someone is doing with your account.
    :beer: THANK GOODNESS FOR EBAY CUSTOMER SUPPORT:beer:
    ;)!!!!!!There are More Questions Than Answers!!!!!!:eek:
    :search: But I Just Don't Have Any Answers :idea:
  • dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Options
    just had a spoof email from ebay saying that you need to update bank details!!! it went to a philsing site!!

you have to be so carefull!:mad: :mad: :mad:
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa :D
  • Lexxi
    Lexxi Posts: 2,162 Forumite
    Options
    There was an email sent out yesterday supposedly from PayPal, stating that they suspect someone has been trying to access my account. I forwarded it to PayPal who have confirmed today it's a scam.
  • lydia_dustbin
    Options
    hi there

we were a victim of fake emails. someone hacked into our accounts on ebay and set up a dodgy £800 concert ticket business. this was in may. paypal were not and are still not interested
    save energy - stay in bed x

:o:o:o:o:o:o
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    hi there

we were a victim of fake emails. someone hacked into our accounts on ebay and set up a dodgy £800 concert ticket business. this was in may. paypal were not and are still not interested

I am very surprised at that, usually when people post they have problems and ar esent to try Live help it is all sorted out the same day.

What have Live help told you so far?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • G-Pinn
    G-Pinn Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    It seems as if Ebay is starting to become a place where people can profit from. With the new release of the iphone people are going around selling this phone for twice the amount. I don't use this service anymore. Craigslist is more convenient and cheaper!
  • Igol
    Igol Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    Got this dubious one the other day:

If this email is not displayed correctly, please click here.
    To ensure that your PayPal emails get to your inbox, please add paypal@email.co.uk to your email Address Book or Safe List logo_paypal.gifimg_receiving_limits_top.gifimg_shim.gifimg_dark_blue_header.gifimg_shim.gifimg_left_border.gif
    Dear xxx

We've noticed that you've almost reached the receiving limit on your PayPal account. There's no need to worry. This only means that we're required to confirm additional information about you before you can receive further payments into your account.

Why do I have a receiving limit?

When you open a PayPal account we want you to get up and running as quickly as possible. That's why we initially ask for only the most essential information. However, as a financial institution, we have to comply with certain laws and regulations. This includes a set limit on the amount you can receive into your PayPal account before we are required to find out a bit more about you.

How to remove your receiving limit

We ask you to complete a number of simple steps before we can lift your receiving limit. If we don't receive this information in time, you would temporarily be unable to withdraw funds from your PayPal account.

To make this process as smooth as possible, we've compiled a detailed guide to help you complete all the necessary steps before reaching your receiving limit.

btn_download_the_guide.gif

Thank you for using PayPal.

PayPalimg_shim.gifimg_shim.gif
    img_right_menu_image.gif
    img_shim.gif
    img_right_menu_header.gifimg_shim.gifimg_line_item_white.gifTips to sell
    securelyimg_shim.gifimg_line_item_white.gifDon't fall for a
    fake emailimg_shim.gifimg_line_item_white.gifSee how you are
    protectedimg_shim.gifimg_line_item_white.gifOther PayPal
    productsimg_dark_blue_footer.gif
    How do I know this is not a Spoof email? Spoof or 'phishing' emails tend to have generic greetings such as "Dear PayPal member". Emails from PayPal will always address you by your first and last name. Find out more here.img_shim.gifimg_line_item_in_line.gifForgotten Password img_shim.gifimg_line_item_in_line.gifHelp img_shim.gifimg_line_item_in_line.gifYour Security img_shim.gifimg_line_item_in_line.gifContact Us img_shim.gifimg_line_item_in_line.gifGo Shopping

Now I think thats quite an achievement for me as I've only just listed a load of stuff and none of its sold yet. I havent sold anything in months prior to these and I generally want cheques.
    Can I have a 'recieving limit' of minus pounds then?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That might well be a real mail..check your paypal account as yes there are receiving limits. never do anything with a potentially dodgy email, but if it addresses you correctly then log safely into your paypal account and check what is happening.

There is also a real 'limited paypal account' email doing the rounds as well, my son got one and I told him it was a fake and when he sent it to paypal they confirmed it was a spoof. Unfortunately it has turned out to be a real email and his account has been limited and it's taking us ages to try and sort it out.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure