Bank card readers: Love 'em or hate 'em?

Comments

• alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kkgree1 wrote: »
    and apparently there is no alternative!

It seems that there is a large key version though HSBC received criticism for making use of SecureKey mandatory before ensuring that they had adequate stocks (any?) of that version available.

http://www.youreable.com/forums/showthread.php/818-Disabled-Not-Allowed-to-use-Internet-Banking!
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    We still have to pay for new batteries for the things though.

Unless you request a new one when the batteries go, but that's not very environmentally friendly at all.
  • I don't have a problem with them per se - I use one at my office with HSBC (First Direct's parent company). The trouble is, I transact with my current account both at home and in the office and they will only let me have one device. I certainly don't want to carry it around with me, so would want to keep it in a drawer. But at which location?
  • BNT
    BNT Posts: 2,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have one for Barclays, but rarely use it. They have an app that lets me use my phone instead of the card reader and that suits me fine.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    We still have to pay for new batteries for the things though.

Unless you request a new one when the batteries go, but that's not very environmentally friendly at all.

I didn't know that. Mine has yet to stop working though!
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Over the years I have accumulated several card readers for several bank accounts some of which were closed long ago. None of the readers has stopped working though one of the Nationwide ones (when one didn't arrive I queried it., then it did arrive and so did a second!) has a missing row of pixels.
  • skyeblue
    skyeblue Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We bank with Bank of Scotland, Halifax and Santander. None of these have introduced such a thing, as far as we know, so I don't really know what such a device does or how it works. Or is it an English (non Scottish) thing.
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    skyeblue wrote: »
    Or is it an English (non Scottish) thing.

As used by the Royal Bank Of Scotland.
    http://www.rbs.co.uk/personal/online-banking/g1/existing-customers/staying-safe-online/card-reader.ashx
  • It should not be an issue at all - the email I received from First Direct explains you have the option to either have a physical keypad, or use an app that runs on an Apple/Android smartphone which means it should not be a problem if you are out an about.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    alanq wrote: »
    First Direct is not about to introduce a card reader. It will be a SecureKey as currently issued by HSBC. ... Some require them to log in others only for making payments or for setting up new payees. Customers' reactions will very much depend on these policies.
    And HSBC closely followed by First Direct deserves perhaps the most opprobrium of all, for they are introducing a system that doesn't even manage to block the man in the middle type of attack that such things can be very useful to block. It's not quite pure security theatre but it's the closest I've ever seen a UK bank using.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure