Are you sick of being asked about cookies?

Options
2»

Comments

• kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    catwoman73 wrote: »
    What I find particularly annoying is the adverts that litter sites that relate to your recent browsing history. Causes difficulties if you share a computer with a partner and have just been shopping for their christmas present!

Just make sure that after you have been looking at perfume/jewellery/posh chocolates on websites that you look at other sites to throw her off the scent.
    You can even tease her a little by looking at household appliances/damart (old person clothing)/Ann summers/etc, that way she will be really relieved Christmas day when it's anything remotely nice after she's been dreading what you are going to buy her for the last month :D
    Zebras rock
  • Jonathan57
    Options
    I think it is a necessary evil. I think it is useful to be told about cookies.
  • hjb_2
    hjb_2 Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 November 2013 at 11:40PM
    Options
    1) Cookies allow the internet to work. Without a 'session cookie' or passing an ugly hash string around in the url between pages it would be impossible for your internet banking, grocery shopping or Facebook stalking to work. The websites simply would not know it was still you when you click between pages. The internet is 'stateless'.

Warning, this one is geeky - http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/stateless

2) "For about a year, the EU Cookie Directive's forced UK websites to ask if you’re willing to accept cookies (files that track what you’ve done) on your computer." - WRONG

The 'law' does not state that and it does not force anyone to do anything. Read up on it here:

http://www.ico.org.uk/for_organisations/privacy_and_electronic_communications/the_guide/cookies

3) Cookies are actually just short strings of text. They can't do anything harmful to your computer. They can however allow advertisers and other tracking to happen to you. Banning or demonising cookies is not the way to resolve it. The Do Not Track proposals and protocol are. You can read more about them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Not_Track

I build websites. We don't ever pop up a 'are you happy for us to set cookies on your computer?' box on a page or spit a popup in our visitors' faces. We do however offer a link to find which cookies we set and why we set them.

Don't believe everything you read. It's not really as scary as people would like you to believe.
  • ministe2003
    Options
    Cookies are an essential part of making the internet work. The popups only scare people who don't know what cookies are or what function they perform, and will often cause them to say NO because they assume they're dangerous.

There's far worse things on the web that we should be protected from, cookies aren't one of them.
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    Cookies are an essential part of making the internet work. The popups only scare people who don't know what cookies are or what function they perform, and will often cause them to say NO because they assume they're dangerous.

There's far worse things on the web that we should be protected from, cookies aren't one of them.
    Here here what gets me is people who think cookies can spread viruses and fry your motherboard lol but happily click links and share links on facebook without another thought about it.
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    Here here what gets me is people who think cookies can spread viruses and fry your motherboard lol but happily click links and share links on facebook without another thought about it.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never been asked if I'm willing to accept cookies. It wouldn't matter anyway, they all disappear when I close the browser (unless I've whitelisted a particular site, such as my bank).
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • stevemcol
    stevemcol Posts: 1,666 Forumite
    Options
    Yes cookies are fantastic, if you love being subjected to personalised advertising. Otherwise they're the work of Beelzebub.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • Twisted_Cherry
    Options
    I prefer the ones from Millies!

CM_01.jpg
    image hosting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income