Honda Jazz Handbrake problems

ElaineC_2
ElaineC_2 Posts: 43 Forumite
Has anyone else had problems with the handbrake on their Honda Jazz? My car is 2 years old, and has a nasty habit of running away and bashing into bollards when it has been left on its own (not on a steep incline). The handbrake has been adjusted several times, and is always on when the car is left. Honda has basically said I am an incompetent little woman who has not got the strength to put the handbrake on properly. I have looked on the internet to find I am not the only one who has this problem, so would like to hear from anyone else so I can go back to Honda and sort it out. I believe the whole range needs to be recalled before someone is injured. The problem stems from when the brakes cool down, some few minutes after the car has been left parked. When leaving the car it seems safe and secure, but once the brakes cool down it starts to roll. Honda have said I should always leave it in gear, but that should not be necessary in my opinion, unless it is on a steep incline. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    It actually makes sense if its rear disc brakes. When the brakes cool, the disc shrinks in size and the pads lose their grip. However, I'd expect you to be able to put it on OK though and I'd expect them to hold it on a slight incline. Its something I've never had happen to me. I assume its been regularly maintained so seized handbrake linkages wouldn't be an issue. Maybe one for Watchdog?
  • ElaineC_2
    Thanks for your reply. The car is regularly serviced, and the handbrake has been adjusted twice by the garage. I believe the handbrake is not fit for purpose. It is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. Honda are very quiet about this problem. Also, the garage have now had my car for 3 weeks - it is beyond a joke.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ElaineC wrote: »
    Honda have said I should always leave it in gear, but that should not be necessary in my opinion, unless it is on a steep incline.

There may be a problem however Honda are correct in the above statement for precisely the problem you are having, you should always leave any car in gear in case the handbrake is not secure or fails to hold the car.
  • thescouselander
    thescouselander Posts: 5,542
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My old BMW was exactly the same. The best solution is to leave the car in gear when you park.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,925
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Very common problem, not just with Honda.

Whenever you park on a slope you should always park with the car in gear.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ahhh Honda-the most reliable make? Common Problem?
  • ElaineC_2
    I have now had my car back from the garage. They have acknowledged that there was a fault, and have replaced the brake pads, calipers etc, and repaired the damage to the front of the car. They have also readjusted the handbrake so it is really stiff. I am still interested to know if anyone else has this problem. It may be a one-off, but it is still worrying that it has happened in the first place. Honda - the most reliable car???? - perhaps not.
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Simples! If you are worried then do as the manufacturer has stated (and other posters here) and leave it in gear.

They are always described these days as handbrakes, not parking brakes for good reason as Hammyman outlined. The handbooks of both the cars we own clearly state that the cars should be left in gear. Its beyond me why you feel that because in your opinion the handbrake should hold the car, somehow the laws of physics no longer apply
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As others have mentioned, park in gear and turn the wheels towards the kerb.
    The man without a signature.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    verityboo wrote: »

They are always described these days as handbrakes, not parking brakes for good reason as Hammyman outlined. The handbooks of both the cars we own clearly state that the cars should be left in gear. Its beyond me why you feel that because in your opinion the handbrake should hold the car, somehow the laws of physics no longer apply

i wonder if the op was driving an automatic if they would rely only on the handbrake? somehow i doubt it,im sure they would also leave the gearbox in "P" rather than "N".

and i don't think a failing handbrake makes hondas any more or less reliable than anything else.
    ...work permit granted!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport