Take out mortgage on my own house to buy another property?

I'm fairly ignorant on the ins and outs of mortgages, so would really appreciate any advice about my current situation.

I own my home without a mortgage, and it's worth around £150k. I want to get a mortgage of about £85k to buy a buy-to-let property as an investment.

However, I'd be letting out the new property on a 3 year lease, so no lenders will even consider giving me a buy-to-let mortgage because they insist on a 6 month maximum lease.

So, would it be possible to take out an £85k mortgage on my own home to buy the investment property with cash? Would the lender ask questions about what I want to do with the money, and turn me down when they find out why?

One more complication - I'm self-employed so would struggle to prove my income. Could I add my girlfriend to my property's deeds, do a joint application and get a multiple of her steady salary?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,863
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    So, would it be possible to take out an £85k mortgage on my own home to buy the investment property with cash?

Yes, if your income and credit rating can justify that mortgage.
    Would the lender ask questions about what I want to do with the money, and turn me down when they find out why?

Shouldn't be a big issue; they have your home as security.
    One more complication - I'm self-employed so would struggle to prove my income. Could I add my girlfriend to my property's deeds, do a joint application and get a multiple of her steady salary?

Yes, though only you know the risk of giving your girlfriend half your property.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    This question keeps coming up and unless someone can prove otherwise the minute you tell your lender its to buy another property you will be rejected.

I disagree with anyone who says they will have your home as security - you are looking to borrow money for a BTL at residential mortgage rates which are far lower than BTL rates.

Unless you lie and like I have said in answer to previous such posts that is mortgage fraud and I do not condone that - probably why the mortgage industry is in the shape it is in at the moment
  • rl290
    rl290 Posts: 314 Forumite
    If you were to get a mortgage on the actual BTL property, you would then be able to offset mortgage interest against tax. If, as you suggest, you were to take out the mortgage on your own home I believe that you could not do this... which is a big loss.

I, personally, would just wait for mortgages to become more available and at lower interest rates. This should loosely coincide with the bottom of the market (or, it would certainly be closer to the bottom than we are now).

R
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do you really want to risk your own home like this? There are many BTLers who have done the same as you and have lost their home as a result.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • socrates wrote: »
    This question keeps coming up and unless someone can prove otherwise the minute you tell your lender its to buy another property you will be rejected.

I disagree with anyone who says they will have your home as security - you are looking to borrow money for a BTL at residential mortgage rates which are far lower than BTL rates.

Unless you lie and like I have said in answer to previous such posts that is mortgage fraud and I do not condone that - probably why the mortgage industry is in the shape it is in at the moment

This is not true. You are well within your rights to release capital from your existing property, in order to purchase an investment property. As long as you can afford the repayments, via your income, and you are upfront with the lender about the purpose of the capital then they will have no problem.

Not sure where you got this information from Socrates!:confused:

Regards
    I am a mortgage advisor:A
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    What you want to do is fairly straight forward.

Raising funds from your unencumbered property to purchase another property - totally acceptable from a lenders perspectice

The only issue you might have is verifying your income by the sounds of it. I'm sure you will be abel to find some kind of income verification that a lender would be happy - tax returns, accounts, bank statements, invoices etc etc.

Adding your partner will make it easier, by her providing payslips, but then you have to decide if that is a step you want to take.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • This is not true. You are well within your rights to release capital from your existing property, in order to purchase an investment property. As long as you can afford the repayments, via your income, and you are upfront with the lender about the purpose of the capital then they will have no problem.

Regards

There is no right to a mortgage.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 2,889 Forumite
    Quote: This is not true. You are well within your rights to release capital from your existing property, in order to purchase an investment property. As long as you can afford the repayments, via your income, and you are upfront with the lender about the purpose of the capital then they will have no problem.

Regards

So basically you are saying that someone approaches their lender on a mortgage free property asks them to release funds from it at residential mortgage rates and tells them they are releasing those funds for the purpose of buying another property i.e BTL - but not pay interest rates that apply to BTL mortgages.

In the current climate I do not think so.

Interested to know which lender will accept this. So perhaps you can update my obviously out of date information with the specific lenders in question.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    You can indeed re-mortgage your unencumbered property, to raise funds to buy a BTL.

As long as your income can support the mortgage and you fit the LTV requirements of the deal it is fine.

Most lenders are happy with capital raising, as long as it is for legal purposes, and BTL does fit into a legal purpose.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • There is no right to a mortgage.

jog on! :rotfl:
    I am a mortgage advisor:A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills