The Ultimate February Challenge

Options

Comments

• karmachilovething
    Options
    PurpleJay wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how much do you pay for gas and elec and how big is your home/how often do you put the heating on?

I am with Ebico for gas on flat DD £36/month. Means at some point in the year we're behind, some we're ahead. I like to know it's going to be the same every month, as it's better for my planning. Electric is with Good Energy (probably not the absolute cheapest, but this is a conscious choice), £40/month on same basis.

Our house is a small 2-bed terrace. No insulation and leaky victorian windows!. We have 1.5hrs in the morning and 3 in the evening, but we're out fo the house all day so that's fine.

Having said that, my housemate keeps whacking the heating on indescriminately :mad:, so I am pretty sure there will be a BIG bill when we move at the end of the month :eek: He hasn't made the connection between number of clothes vs warmth! :rotfl: It's actually hilarious. Wearing a t-shirt and thin cotton knit and wondering why he's cold (I was wearing 3 layers of wool!). Ridiculous! Yesterday, I came home to find him sitting around in only t-shirt and pants!!

OK flatmate rant over. *underbreath* Only two weeks more, only two weeks more. Breath
    1. I have some left over chicken, can I stick that in as a layer?

Thank you :D

I see no reason this won't work, just put it in the middle so it doesn't dry out. Bet bacon would be a-MA-zing too!
    Total debt: [STRIKE]£9473.62[/STRIKE] £7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    :T Proud to be Dealing with my Debt :T
    DFD: June 2015
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    PurpleJay wrote: »

Just out of curiosity, how much do you pay for gas and elec and how big is your home/how often do you put the heating on?

We're with EDF blue price promise. Was then the cheapest and advertised by MSE.

Atm we now pay DD of £106 for gas and leccy for a 3 bedroom detached two storey with leaky windows. But we only just switched to them and started of at £67 per month which was too low. Apart from the holidays (xmas, when it was on all the time :eek:) we have heating/hot water on a timer (1.5 hrs in morning, 4pm to 10pm at night @20C, never reaches that though). We need to have it on 1 1/2 hrs before we get in as the house takes ages to warm up and the wee one is only two and can only move in so many layers :p. It will be on less soon though and I usually tweak the temp down a bit when no-one notices :o
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • mayfair1985
    Options

Having said that, my housemate keeps whacking the heating on indescriminately :mad:, so I am pretty sure there will be a BIG bill when we move at the end of the month :eek: He hasn't made the connection between number of clothes vs warmth! :rotfl: It's actually hilarious. Wearing a t-shirt and thin cotton knit and wondering why he's cold (I was wearing 3 layers of wool!). Ridiculous! Yesterday, I came home to find him sitting around in only t-shirt and pants!!

OK flatmate rant over. *underbreath* Only two weeks more, only two weeks more. Breath

I see no reason this won't work, just put it in the middle so it doesn't dry out. Bet bacon would be a-MA-zing too!

I have a housemate and a husband that believe that the appropriate house wear is pants. And pants only. And wonder why they get cold!
  • lotti379
    lotti379 Posts: 787 Forumite
    Options
    :hello:

Just popped in to declare myself an official thread lurker, the original post made me chuckle so much! :D

Would love to join a challenge next month, this month is the month of re-starting the spending diary, again...
    “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goals.”

NSD Challenge: August 2017 2/15
  • Ninno820
    Ninno820 Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    afternoon everyone. Today has followed the theme of the rest of my week - yuk with a capital Y. Thats my excuse for stopping off at the local supermarket and buying £4.89 of carp. I wouldnt mind but this week has messed up my sw efforts anyway!

Still, deep breath in - onwards and upwards - as they say. Today I received my tesco money vouchers - you can tell that I ahaven't shopped there recently - the voucher was for a whole £4!

On amore positive note the promised bin bag of wool arrived today - guess what I am spending my evening doing?
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Ninno Jealous of your bin bag of wool:)

Back at work tomorrow, but only for a couple of days:) Breakfast has been put up already, couscous and tuna, and as I didnt fancy the dinner I got out of the freezer, I will have to have that tomorrow as well.

Been number crunching today, and I have realised something, if I find an extra few pennies somewhere I usually put it towards food or something, well from today its not going there, I have found another old purse and its going in there to go towards the CC on top of the usual payment, I will pay it into the bank and then it will come out when I pay it:) every penny is prisoner as someone on here says - and it is only pennies but it all counts.

My gas and electric is only £50 a month, which is why I keep a very close eye on it. Its not usually on in the morning/afternoon, the timer has broken so I have to manually put it on and turn it off. I live in a 3 bed semi which is well insulated, cavity wall, double glazing etc and I only heat the rooms I go into to, and then the setting is only low. I dress in layers in the daytime but I dont like going to bed cold:) I can pay a bit extra when I want to make up any shortfalls, like over Xmas when family were staying here so Im usually on top of it.

Well thats all from me - hope everyone is well and positive.

Jxx
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• mayfair1985
    Options
    Just popped in to say its in the oven. Update will follow!
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just a quick question regarding this potato cheese onion amazing concoction..... I really very want to do this. But I'm not amazing in the kitchen so... if anyone could pass on wisdom it would be fab!

1. I have some left over chicken, can I stick that in as a layer?
    2. Do you have to boil the potatoes first?
    3. What sort of tray does it go in?
    4. Do you put pastry on top?
    5. What temp should it be on in a fan oven?
    6. If I serve it with baked beans is that acceptable?

Thank you :D

I'm lurking - not brave enough to tackle the UFC challenge yet, (but need to rummage up £200 out of nowhere before May 1st)

But we cook a cheese & tatty 'pie' similar to that described above. We cook ours in pyrex dishes and use pre-cooked potatoes (leftover boiled and cold roasted potatoes if not too crispy). Adding 2 beaten eggs over the top.

Best served with relish or a brown pickle, good hot or cold.
  • poodlegal
    poodlegal Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    :jWell we had our potato and cheese bake :j it was very nice and went down a treat with the kids. I did a layer of potato, then onion then cheese then tomato then potato then cheese and added a splash of milk, seasoning and a few dots of butter. Yummy, thanks PJ for the recipe (we had it with baked beans)!

Now what I need is someone to tell me how to make egg fried rice as I have eggs that need to be used and a bag of brown rice thats been sitting for ages, or for that matter any other ideas anyone :o while i'm on a :rotfl:with the meal planning? :A
  • poodlegal
    poodlegal Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh Mayfair, let us know how yours turns out and i'm intregued what it is you are in training for? I'm constantly training myself for one thing or another!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure