Introduction to myself/DMP and PPi claims

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site after lurking on and off for the last 2 weeks. I was hoping to have found an answer to my question but I haven't seen anything similar come up so here I am! :j

I had a realisation back in May after my OH had taken out 4 PDLs to cover the bills and pay off other PDLs that we can't live like this anymore- what started it all off was paying nearly £500 in one month out to 2 energy companies after switching over in March. My OH wouldn't let me ask my family for the £100 we were short for our food shopping and he took out a PDL. Through April and May he took out more, paying off previous ones with new ones, them getting bigger each time.

We were in a viscious cycle, already knee deep in a 5k OD, owed £1500 on 2 CCs, £700 on a Zopa loan and were due to pay off a BNPL with Misco taken out the previous year worth £1000. Half of our OD was spent on a failed housemove (too long a story but we were unable to get that money back) last February when we thought we'd end up better off- we were up to date with everything, only had a 3k loan with Zopa to start paying off, were finally out of the OD after living in it for a year.

Shortly after our DD's 3rd birthday last month I had a LBM- enough was enough, my OH was ignoring my concerns about paying off the PDLs, our OD fees were getting bigger and about to tip over the edge into £5 a day territory so I called Payplan on the 12th June and started the process of beginning a DMP- my OH was not happy that I'd done this as he said he was dealing with it- not really, he was planning something untoward and I wasn't going to let him risk everything. He was burying his head in the sand about it all and I needed to take action.

Payplan were lovely, went through the channels of income and expenditure, debt accruement etc and we have paid our first premium on the 6th July and have been given an estimated debt finishing date of 06/03/2016. I am Payplan's client and OH is down as my partner.

Money's been difficult this past month for my OH, getting used to the negation of surplus income. I'm not sure he actually realises that we have no spare money because he keeps wanting to buy unnecessary things. His recent idea is to spend £30 on products to kill off the upcoming flying ant invasion and we have already lost £40 of our food budget money to pay off a creditor who threatened him with a CCJ.

We have 9 creditors and they are all pretty much in his name and he is the one who created the debt amounts on all of them, 1 is in my name for an OD of £186 and another is a joint account where our OD is at 5k. He logged onto my online banking to transfer my OD limit money to the JA whenever money was getting short.

Payplan have 8 creditors listed as OH told them to take off a debt with Northern Debt Recovery because of the CCJ threat- this was not advised but he doesn't want the CCJ, a default is apparently easier to get rid of. I am actually dreading the outcome if the other creditors catch wond of this because they could take legal action.

Anyhow, to my question! Basically I spoke to Stake Your Claim late last month about claiming PPi off 3 loans I had taken out since 2006- all have been paid off for about 3 years. Basically they were taken out in my name, on my sole accounts (tried upgrading my cardcash account and Halifax gave me a Current account instead of upgrading), none of them are linked to the joint account with OH which I had my name added to in November 2010. Well apart from my name being on the JA and my SA- but can Halifax take any PPi back for the JA? If they offset any off the SA, then it is cleared and only left with my name on is the JA.

I've been told time and time again they shouldn't be able to do this, and the money is important to receive about now. If I paid off any of OH's debts, will the other creditors take action to get the same result? Payplan have not been helpful regarding this. I have asked: If I pay off some of his debts with my PPi claim, as I am the Payplan client, can the creditors take action against us?

OH has been so selfish with money, he took the 2 tax rebates I received last September and this January and made me put them towards the household bills. Now I know this sounds selfish on my part, but I resented having to do this- it was my money from when I had worked, dated before we got together, I wanted to put it away for a holiday because I hadn't been on holiday since 2006- he went away in September last year and spent over £1000 on it- I was left at home with our DD for 2 weeks while he enjoyed a "family holiday" in Florida with his mum,dad, brother sister etc, no kids were allowed. I forewent the holiday as I couldn't leave DD for 2 weeks and had nobody who could have her even if I could leave her.

He kept going on that I wouldn't get any PPi back before we started the DMP because I'd only had 3 little loans.(1k, 2k and 3k) so don't waste my time and his money trying to get nothing back :mad:. Payplan sent me to Stake Your Claim who do PPi claims for people in DMPs (I know I could have done it myself but I don't have the time to sort it out) and I was told I have a VERY good chance of getting PPi back, so I didn't tell OH I had made the claim, because I know that he would spend it on something stupid.

I only had the paperwork for the 2k loan and there was nearly £700 on it that was an "insurance loan" which SYC told me was another term for PPi and that is the amount I'd get back from that loan. They're looking into the other 2 I took out, I know for sure the 1k loan had PPi on it but not 100% certain that it was on the 3k.

I've been told that even if the bank tried to offset the debts with it, they shouldn't be able to do it for the JA as they were taken out in my name and not OH's- SYC push for cheques anyway for DMP clients so they get their 10% plus VAT- they said if they got me £2k back I'd pay them £240 which is perfectly fine with me. If the bank did offset it against my account then I'd still get some of that money back to pay STC their fee, otherwise it's another debt added to the DMP. OH has PPi on one of the CCs which is still being added so we got advise to go to SYC to get it back and then I had to grudgingly tell OH about my claim since it would be added to my claim to fast-track.

I probably sound like a selfish mare but I have plans for any monies I receive back from the loans and I don't want OH to touch it. My older sister is getting married on the 1st September and I need to get us new clothes and give a money gift to the bride and groom. We have no spare money on the DMP to pay for this and any savings we had previously went on the energy bills from March. I want to give my sister a wedding gift, pay off my SA debt, put some aside for Christmas, replace what I took from DD's savings account to buy food last month and get her a present or take her to the zoo because she didn't get anything for her birthday. OH would waste it on something we don't need, that's how we got into the debt in the first place!

I haven't told my family about the DMP as they are the kind of people who think credit is evil and nobody should have any debts beside a mortgage. In fact, a broker passed my old details (address and mobile number from 2 years ago) on to amigo loans (never applied for the loan in the first place, I am a SAHM and have no income to pay for such a thing now) and the paperwork went to my mother's last week! She rang them up pretending to be me (while I was there), so very angry about it saying that she never has and never will take out a loan. If I came clean about the DMP now I'd never hear the end of it :( even if the debts were caused by OH, 2 of them have my name on!

Sorry for such a long post but I've had so much on this last month and needed somewhere to vent. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure