Euhost.com complaint problem server ransom hacking!

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 1:10PM
    duckman121 wrote: »
    not true

You still have to check they are actually being done properly, sometimes even check the files just to make sure, everyone assumes cos you have a backup its going to work, that also is not true.ive backed up and restored sites that didnt work a few times.

I have a limited amount of time in the day so its not practical yo do this daily, maybe once a month yeah,again everyone saying backups are going to save everything every time its just not true.
    I suppose if i backed everything up and then the backups didnt work properly ? thats my fault too for not checking them right ?

the point is i sshouldnt have to worry about backing !!!! up all the time !!

you get email report that tells you if its backed up or not, using the control panel backup system and just back it up to your account on the server is a waste of time as if the server goes down so does the backup you have. backups need to be backed up to an external source and if possible 2 external sources
    the point is i sshouldnt have to worry about backing !!!! up all the time !!
    if it is a mission critical site then yes you should take the time to make sure it is backed up on a regular basis or if you cant do it then pay the little your hosting provider will ask to do it yourself.
    Yes most hosts will be making daily backups themselves regardless, but these will be for their own use and wont provide these to any client if they have not paid for the backup service.
  • duckman121
    duckman121 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Either way angry parcel i see your point but i just dont agree! the host gets off scot free which isnt fair! the fact we are going on about backups and not their service speaks volumes, and the fact people were very rude to me after this happened, makes it worse,

i do not recommend people use this company, i have used other companies in the past who bent over backwards to help me when things went wrong, that is what i was used to before eukhost, in fact ive been made to feel like its my fault, even from people on here, and will be looking for the same from my new host.
  • angryparcel
    Either way angry parcel i see your point but i just dont agree! the host gets off scot free which isnt fair! the fact we are going on about backups and not their service speaks volumes, and the fact people were very rude to me after this happened, makes it worse,

i do not recommend people use this company, i have used other companies in the past who bent over backwards to help me when things went wrong, that is what i was used to before eukhost, in fact ive been made to feel like its my fault, even from people on here, and will be looking for the same from my new host.
    did you read the review links i provided earlier, they seem to have some good feedback. the highlighted comment above. the fact is it is and has always been the clients responsibility to make their own backups a host cannot be held responsible for making sure your site is backed up unless you pay them for this service.
    Yes some hosts are better than others in customer service
  • duckman121
    reviews can be manipulated they probably spend thousands on reputation management to squish out the poor reviews i work in the industry i know how it works.

Some of companys with the best reviews often are terrible people like 1&1 interent got amazign reviews but awful hosting and tech support. they just have good reputation management.

Thats why moving hosts is such a minefield, if it was just as easy as reading reviews it would be fine, it also doesnt tell you how all tech support for ukhost is in india either, which doesnt bother me that much but is also an issue for some people, you only know this from using the service.
  • angryparcel
    reviews can be manipulated they probably spend thousands on reputation management to squish out the poor reviews i work in the industry i know how it works.
    Then you will know that it is rare anyone leaves positive reviews about a webhost. People only tend to post on forums etc, when they have a bad experience with a host. so when a host gets positive reviews on various review sites then they must be doing something right.
  • duckman121
    No it isnt, if you have good reputation management its your job to get good reviews, thats why its called reputation management, you hire someone to get you good reviews, or you fire them.

That way you average out the bad ones,
  • eUKhost_JohnB
    eUKhost_JohnB Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 July 2017 at 8:43AM
    MSE Note:

Thanks very much for coming on and helping our forum users John. While we do ask companies to contact us for verification first we're grateful you're here to rectify things. We're happy to leave this post in place.

Hi, I am the John mentioned in the opening post.

I would just like to say we are very sorry about the situation you have found yourself in, I want to make it clear that we are very sympathetic to your plight, sadly in this situation there are very few avenues open to explore when it comes to retrieving your data.

You did speak to my colleague before you spoke to myself, and when it came apparent that no backups were available we did spend significant time researching the ransomware involved and checking if it had been broken, and if so if a key was available to decrypt your data. The chances of this being the case were always going to be slim but we considered it important to make that effort.

I do agree entirely that the engineer should have called you back at the stated time, I have no defence for that, it is something I have addressed with the team and apologise, it was not acceptable.

I can’t discuss compensation on a public forum but please do contact myself if you want to talk about this further.

I know it is not nice to be on the receiving end of a ransomware attacks and you are rightly angry, so I would just like to reiterate that we will provide you with whatever technical support you require to get you back up and running.
  • angryparcel
    To eUKhost JohnB
    before you reply on behalf of as company you need forum permission
    How can my company get a right of reply?
    If you're from a company, have seen a post you feel is misleading or offensive, and would like the right of reply, please click the report button on the post or email the Forum Team with a full explanation: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    A member of the MSE Team will check you're authorised to represent that company.
    Provided you have the authority, you may either be asked to give a statement, which one of the MSE Team will post on your behalf, or be given permission to post directly on the specific thread.
    Where permission has been given for you to post directly on a thread, a note from the MSE Team will appear below confirming this.
    If someone has posted claiming to be from a company but the MSE Team has not posted below confirming they're authorised please use the report button or email the link to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    There's one exception: companies offering a discount code for MoneySavers can post it, once only, in the Great Want to Offer MoneySavers a Discount? Hunt and nowhere else on the Forum.
  • duckman121
    Thanks, John I realize your post will probably get removed anyway so will consider what you have said.
  • SBrown86
    SBrown86 Posts: 17
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Duckman I do feel for your situation. As an IT person myself I have seen customers lose their data to malware (although usually there was a recent backup so not too bad).

I do feel though that you are lashing out at the hosting provider unnecessary, from your first post it does sound like they really tried to recover the data (something they probably weren't abliged to do).

You need to see what service you're paying for. In my experience hosting providers usually do what it says on the tin, hosting. They are just there to host the site. It's down to you the professional to look after it. Unless of course you pay for extra services such as backup and additional security etc.

I think that you'll have to chalk this up to experience. Even if you need to lose a day out of a month to take good backups, then it's still worth doing just to avoid this situation. Always have a disaster recovery plan, even if you shouldn't need it, murphey's law and all that.

Assuming you're happy to do that then I'm sure you can shop around and find a cheaper hosting provider.

At the end of the day, your clients are paying to look after the site. You need to shoulder most if not all the responsibility.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure