Euhost.com complaint problem server ransom hacking!

Comments

• mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    40GB? When i first got Fibre i downloaded over 600GB in a single month.

I would often download 300GB on a 4MB connection prior to that.

How did you get the 40GB onto the server? Not having a backup of a website that you rely on is madness.

I have use part of mine to upload random pictures to this forum and even that is backed up.

You're forgetting the important part - it's always someone else's fault!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    duckman121 wrote: »
    I had only just moved the websites, so I didn't have backups a few minor ones but like I said I had 40 gig you wanna try downloading that to your PC, the point is it shouldn't ever happen anyway, and am sure they have plenty of get out clauses and won't do a thing either, but actually it's the fact they don't care that really bothers me, and the fact I am just another number, i spoke to like 10 different people and have to explain the situation to everyone, who really didn't seem that arsed, no one likes to be treated like that especially when something awful happens.

I didn't ask for them to pay for my sites rebuilding i asked for a gesture of goodwill, but there was little point asking someone who doesn't care anyway.

Even on a slow ASDL connection you could download that in less than a day.

It's crazy that you had no backup at all when you rely on the website/s to earn a living, especially when you actually paid to get the website made.
    Like the saying goes; if data is not kept in at least 3 places then it doesn't exist!.

But also you should spend some time and learn how to make websites yourself, it's pretty easy and you will save yourself £500 by not having to pay someone to do it.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    takman wrote: »

It's crazy that you had no backup at all when you rely on the website/s to earn a living,
    It is, I see it every day with clients when they moan their site has gone down and do i have a backup. lucky i do daily backups for safety really incase servers go down. even though i have it in large letters at the top of all cpanels that they must take their own backups i am amazed at how many don, or they will take a cpanel backup saved to their account ( which defeats the object)
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Managed Shared Server
    The ideal entry solution
    This variant fits, when you have a small or medium-sized web page and database work, or just get into it. The hosting of multiple customers on a single server, with guaranteed memory utilization, is cheap and reliable. You have additional configuration options and your data are completely secure due to the automatic backups.

Depending on your exact package they may have a breach of their own package terms here? Either way, not having your own offsite backup is probably an error TBH.

Try looking on archive.org or google cache to see if they have a snapshot you can use to rebuild some content?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You're forgetting the important part - it's always someone else's fault!

Probably my fault then. Installing random malware to my site to see what kills it and what doesn't :)

It should have been secure though, they only ask for a 6 character password and "password" = 8 characters so it should have been secure right?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• duckman121
    duckman121 Posts: 11 Forumite
    I am rebuilding my sites using the archive site and some older backups (i did have some), and I do accept some responsibility for not backing EVERYTHING up, but the server people should accept some too that was my argument.

Still shouldn't have happened, and backing up my websites daily is not a practical use of my time i know you can backup in the control panel i was doing that however the backups took my server disk usage to 90 % so i removed them plus i had only just moved my sites to this server, however, I have learned a lesson in some ways, there is only one person you can rely on in a crisis and thats yourself.

Actually, my the main issue is the way it was all handled, it is very easy when this happens to say well you should have backups, like eukhost borrowing a Ferrari and then crashing it and saying well you have insurance don't u, either way I still lose out through not fault of my own.

If someone had said sorry properly and actually returned my calls then I probably wouldn't be so !!!!ed off, instead I have to start asking to speak to managers blah blah wasting more or my time.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    backing up my websites daily is not a practical use of my time
    It does not need to take any of your time as i mentioned, plenty of backup services out their Rsoft, cPremote, jetback etc for a few £ a month and once set up these will backup daily automatically without you having to do a thing.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    and backing up my websites daily is not a practical use of my time
    Ensuring that you don't lose data that you rely on for your business is not "a practical use of my time"?

Does this mean that if/when you get your website up and running again, you still won't back it up?
  • duckman121
    duckman121 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 2:07PM
    not true

You still have to check they are actually being done properly, sometimes even check the files just to make sure, everyone assumes cos you have a backup its going to work, that also is not true.ive backed up and restored sites that didnt work a few times.

I have a limited amount of time in the day so its not practical yo do this daily, maybe once a month yeah, again everyone saying backups are going to save everything every time its just not true.
    I suppose if i backed everything up and then the backups didn't work properly? thats my fault too for not checking them right ?

The point is i shouldn't have to worry about backing !!!! up all the time, and the security of my server is not my responsibility when i am PAYING someone else to do it for me !! But i suppose that's my fault too isnt it ? for leaving someone else to look after the security of my server ???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure