This will probably be a new one on everyone...

Haz28
Haz28 Posts: 1 Newbie
I'd be eternally grateful for any help or advice at all. I'm at the point where I can't see a way out and don't know where to turn or what to do.

I realised at the end of July that my cards were being used excessively for gambling on Betfair. They jumped from being used for groceries occassionally to having almost £16,000 spread across 2 credit cards and a debit card.

I didn't know what to do. I knew it wasn't me, and as my husband has passed away, the only other person in the house was my son. He's got a severe neurological condition that has rendered him housebound for the past 3 years. He's only 15.

I sat my son down, and calmly showed him the credit card bill, and before I had even said anything he broke down in tears and admitted to doing it. He was wailing uncontrollably and of course I started too but reassured him that everything was going to be alright.......Unfortunately, I lied.

I'm a single parent, and working at a £20k a year job. I didn't know how I could pay it.

All my cards were over the limit, and my current account was in the red for the first time ever in my life.

Firstly I asked my son why he did this.....He said he didn't know. I pressured him a bit more, and he told me that he was bored and depressed at being housebound, and one day whilst I was at work went onto Betfair and signed into the account I have (That was used once for a bonus and never used again, My biggest gamble ever was £4 on the Grand National one year!).

I asked him how he got onto the account and he said that he knew I used the same password for everything....So stupid. :(.

Through tears he told me that he deposited £20 and then he lost it, and didn't want me to find out that he had lost my money, so he deposited £20 this time to try to get the original deposit back....Of course he lost this too. This started a vicious cycle of trying to get the money back and losing. He got out of control.

He NEVER had any of my cards. He told me that when depositing Betfair asked him for the "Security Code" and he just entered any random 3 numbers, yet they allowed him to deposit! And I have since tried this with a £5 deposit, and it does indeed allow any random 3 numbers to be entered.

Back to the stupid me part - As I was over the limit on all my cards and in the red in my current account, I got a £10,000 loan. Which in hindsight I realise was a stupid thing to do.

As it stands I am left with £6,800 on Credit Cards + a £10,000 loan to pay off and I don't know how I can do it on a £20,000 a year wage.

I find myself constantly crying, and my son is also severely depressed and ashamed about it. Life is absoloute hell for both of us currently.

I'm just praying that some people can please give me some advice, is there any legal route we could go down? Or just, what is the best plan of action.

We've both had too many nights of crying ourselves to sleep and I just don't feel I can go on much longer.

Thank you so much in advance.

Haz

Comments

• It sounds like you need to have a good chat with a local citizens advice bureau, who could contact your credit card companies on your behalf explaining the situation and can arrange to have the interest and penalties frozen on your credit card accounts, if and where possible.

It is not going to hurt your credit rating just to talk to them, and a Voluntary Arrangement is going to look better on your file than a CCJ or a default.

Hope it all works out.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm not sure of the implications but surely Betfair are liable on some because of the falw in their system that has allowed someone to 'fraudulently' use your card. My only concern is that they would then be pursuing the 'fraudster' which isn't what you want(though I'd argue that the grounds of diminished responsibility and his age that you may still have a case of some sorts). Agree CAB is probably first stop to discuss and find out what options you have. Hope it all works out
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Haz, I really feel for you. You must think you're between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

Like the other replies above me, I can only add my encouragement to get in touch with the CAB as soon as possible. I have no idea whether the company involved would be willing to consider a reduction in monies owed but it is without doubt worth trying. If you are to be held liable for the whole sum, at least the CAB will help sort out an manageable payment scheme for you.

I had a similar sort of problem with my disabled son a few years ago, only it was a HUGE phone bill he racked up whilst phoning dodgy numbers (think dodgy girls!)that were listed in the back of his playstation magazines.

I had no idea he was doing this and complained to BT that someone must have hacked into my line ::). Boy did I feel foolish when I found out the truth. Anyway, BT agreed to accept half the oustanding amount owing and were willing to write off the rest, given the circumstances (son's disabilities). They also gave me extra time to clear what I owed.

Many companies IMO will be sympathetic as long as they are sure they are dealing with a genuine case and not a chancer. This is another reason why it is good to involve the CAB.

Your first step is to get in touch with someone now, before you feel too overwhelmed.

Good luck.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Can only say what the rest have. Get some advice at CAB. As your son isn't 18 I don't think he's allowed to bet anyway tho I realise CC company will say how were they to know who it was.
    Good Luck. Hope it get sorted.
  • Hi Haz,

Sorry to hear what's happening, and I strongly echo what everyone else has said about the importance of starting honest communication with the credit card companies and your bank, especially with the help of the CAB. And it's probably worth looking into the liability of the Betting company for allowing the random numbers to be used as a "security" code.

In the shorter term, possibly try ringing your local Samaritans, (the number's in the phone book and yellow pages under "Counselling") just to talk it through and get it off your chest, instead of going round in circles with your son. Your son might also want to speak to them. You by no means need to feel suicidal to benefit from their listening to you.

Keep being strong, and communicating with your son too. He's lucky to have a Mum who's so understanding.

All best wishes and good luck.
  • In case your CAB is not local, or if you prefer the telephone, the National Debtline will provide much needed support. It's a charity staffed by sympathetic folk offering very practical help & advice. It's also a Freephone Number

0808 808 4000

https://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk

Free and confidential.

Wishing you all good luck
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure