Overpayment of wages from Ex-Employer!

Good morning Money Savers,

I come to you all today for a little advice - it appears my Ex employer has over paid me by almost £500 and want me to pay this back.

I'm not really sure how to word this so apologies if I don't make sense..

I started working for the company in November of 2014. I signed a contract of employment and set of on my journey through the ranks. Since 2014 I have moved between 3 different departments - gaining a different salary and different contracted hours but only ever signed the contract on joining. At this time I was told I would be paid two weeks in arrears (as is my experience of most companies). This company pay every 4 weekly (so 13 times a year). The pay roll cut off dates are two weeks after each pay day - or so I thought.

I left the company on the 20th of September - which was a full week and a half after what I thought was my payroll cut off date. So I assumed I would get a full months wage in September and then a little extra in October. The end of October passed and I didn't receive any extra payment from my old employer so called HR to query - they advised that I was not owed any extra monies and we were all settled although it looked like I was owed holiday hours for which I would need to contact my direct line manager so sort this out - I didn't do this as I know how busy my old manager was and adding this to her workload could wait.

Fast forward to the weekend just passed I received a letter saying owed nearly £500 in over payment of wages - When I called to query and explain exactly what I have explained to you all above I have been advised that at some point I changed over to a 'current' payroll instead of arrears. Meaning I was getting paid from the beginning of every month to cover through until the 1st of the next month.. So I essentially got paid 4 weeks however only worked 3 up until leaving.

My questions and concerns surround the fact that I was never notified of this change so I have spent this money as far as I was concerned there was nothing wrong and this was my wage. No more. No less.

Should I not of been notified of this change to my contract? and essentially signed to acknowledge this change? I also don't have a copy of the original signed contract from 2014 so am unable to check for clauses relating to the recovery of overpaid wages as debt?

This has turned into a mini novel, so please accept my apologies.

Look forward to any advice that I may be able to get.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If a previous employer has overpaid you, you will need to pay it back. They cannot demand it back in one lump, they can provide reasonable instalments for you to pay back. It doesn't matter that it is their fault and it doesn't matter whether or not you noticed the over-payment.

Sadly this has happened to me twice - and twice I have paid it back in one lump just to get rid of it.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    If you are owed holiday hours then presumably this would cancel some of the amount out. You'll need to contact the manager concerned unless you'd rather pay the full amount back over a period of time.
  • Could I jump onto this thread please.
    My employer has over paid me following my maternity leave, they have continued to pay me my old hours wage instead of my returning hours wage - a decrease of 3 hours a week.

Ok it £249 but im a lone parent who is now facing a wage cut and they want the amount paid off before the end of the tax year.
    So they want £83 on top of my wage decrease of around £50.

Can anyone suggest some help as £133 a month in total is a lot of money to lose on a part time wage.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ask them if you can spread it over a longer period.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,402 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    An alternative to spreading the amount over a longer period would be to ask to temporarily work the extra 3 hours a week again, in order to work the amount off.

Your paid holiday entitlement could be reduced going forward until the amount is cleared, if you don't have the childcare to work the extra hours outside of your usual times.

Approach them with whichever solution would cause you the least issues. Reasonable offers should be accepted as the issue is of their making.
  • Hi I know this is an old post but I’m struggling to find how to post something I just want to try and find out answers. I started a job that was cash in hand still through the books however I’ve now left that job the employer is due to pay me my last wage on Friday however the place is out of my area and I’ll have to pay for travel and try and work it around my new job do I have to pick it up or should she be transferring it to my account or paying my travel thank you in advance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure