Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I would not want my DS to go back to being that age!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • mary_hinge
    mary_hinge Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    How are you Lucky? I hope DS1 is behaving and not giving you too much trouble! Whats on the cards for summer holiday entertainment today?

I jinked it an mentioned a park trip on my diary.... 3 minutes later the heavens have opened and everything is soaking wet :cool: It maybe a trip to b&m for craft project supplies :o or lets face it maybe another pj day :rotfl:

Be kind to yourself

Mrs H xx
    Living in a superhero induced haze :A:A
    "You did good Kidda!" :D
  • Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hello one and all

Hip Hip hooray to a fantastic holiday... I was wondering if you had the post amazing holiday blues... I know I struggle with returning to normality...

Boo to boys and girls I can remember my mother saying to me "what did your last servant die of?":rotfl::rotfl:

Hope you can chat over the mini seizures with the consultant.

Waving to Mrs H - lovely to see you back....
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hope DS has seen the error of his ways! My DD has been much better behaved since I had to give her the hard word! xx
    Mummytogirls x

• Hi all!

DS1 has been MUCH better behaved since Tuesday. Long may it last!!

Wednesday was indeed a NSD. Yesterday we went to the cinema to see Spiderman Homecoming, but I still had vouchers from when I used to scan all my shopping so we got in for free :T. (I still have enough vouchers for one more family trip :D). Wasn't a NSD though as the boys conned me into popcorn! Today we have been for a long walk around the Country Park, but again no NSD as I needed food shopping. Overall though, I haven't spent any extra this week despite it being Summer Hols, so I'm pleased.
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Pleased DS1 is being better behaved for you.

Well done on the low spend cinema trip, I'm finding it harder to think of things to keep my 2 entertained now they are getting older that don't cost a fortune, especially DS. It was so easy when they were little and happy with a trip to the park, gruffalo hunting in the woods or junk modelling on a wet day.

Hope you have a good weekend.x.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • Thanks Penny! I know what you mean about things costing more as they get older. Trampolining, cinema, swimming, bowling are more the activities of choice for teens than a play in the park :o.
    Julialt wrote: »
    How can you give up?

Hi Julia,

If you mean in terms of the title of this diary, then I'm afraid giving up on life is a sad reality that some people choose, and alas I personally knew people who took their own lives. It's not something I would ever consider, but it's a very real option for some.

In terms of my situation after DH's accident, I suppose giving up for me would have meant leaving DH. I have had that thought, albeit quite fleetingly, on the days where I find him extremely hard work, and I dread the idea of this being my life forever more.

The 'give in' part of my title, for me, means accepting life will always be hard. It means accepting DH won't ever improve, accepting that money will always be tight and that we would always have debt. This doesn't sit well with me either.

So that leaves 'give it all of you've got'. Waking up each day with the hope that today will be a good day for DH and that someday we will see improvements, with the help of medical professionals and the benefit system. It means paying off the debt and trying every which way to make more money, either by methods like ebay, or by entering competitions to win things that will help (such as days out etc). It means creating memories for the boys, even though they won't 'stick' with DH. It means fighting for the best for my family.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    So that leaves 'give it all of you've got'. Waking up each day with the hope that today will be a good day for DH and that someday we will see improvements, with the help of medical professionals and the benefit system. It means paying off the debt and trying every which way to make more money, either by methods like ebay, or by entering competitions to win things that will help (such as days out etc). It means creating memories for the boys, even though they won't 'stick' with DH. It means fighting for the best for my family.

And that is what you've done! You do an amazing job at helping DH and with the kids. You definitely should be proud of yourself.

x
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    And that is what you've done! You do an amazing job at helping DH and with the kids. You definitely should be proud of yourself.

Indeed. You are an inspiration to us all, Lucky! :T :T :T
  • Aw thanks ladies! Not sure I'm doing anything more than anyone would in my situation though :o.

We've not been far today. DH and DS2 rode around the estate on their bikes this morning and then I dropped DH at the gym for a bit. The boys were involved in their own thing after that (DS1 on the xbox and DS2 drawing), so I took the opportunity to clean out the freezer!

NSD thus far, hopefully it will stay that way!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport