What to do and why

2»

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    wp1234 wrote: »
    investing it in a wide variety of safe funds

I would love to have access to a wide variety of safe funds.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    wp1234 wrote: »
    The Financial Advisers I’m using aren’t being very helpful and are very much sitting on the fence basically telling me that its Ok to go down the flexible drawdown route but advising against it at the same time, its possibly because they don’t want a claim from me if it goes horribly wrong.

Not their decision to make. Sounds as if you actually want them to make a decision for you. So that you in effect have insurance should things not turn out as you expect if the drawdown option is taken.

If you want to play the stock markets use the £200k tax free sum. Then at worst you will still have a secure lifetime pension to fall back on.
  • CFrog
    CFrog Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    On balance, looking at your circumstances, I would stick with the DB pension and invest the £200k.

I'm currently completing a DB transfer but have other sources of retirement income including a second (separate) DB pension and other investments. The DB pension I'm transferring is not central to my financial needs post-retirement and I'm happy to take on the risks in investing the transfer proceeds myself.

I'm not a professional, but from what I know about the transfer process and the sorts of questions they ask, a qualified IFA wouldn't recommend you transfer because (aside from your SP) your DB pension seems to be your only source of retirement income.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Not their decision to make. Sounds as if you actually want them to make a decision for you. So that you in effect have insurance should things not turn out as you expect if the drawdown option is taken.

It might not be ther decision to make but it is the adviser's role to make a clear and unequivocal recommendation to transfer or not to transfer. Fence sitting isn't strictly allowed and isn't what they are paid to do. Their job is to to make it crystal clear whether it's the right thing for the client.

And I wouldn't give up that level of certainty. It's way more important to be able to meet your own retirement income needs for however long you live than to leave a legacy.
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    ianthy wrote: »
    I don’t expect to draw down from my pension until maybe mid 60’s, if at all.

kinda begs the question of why stack it up in the first place if a. you don't touch it and b. you have no kids to pass it on to ??
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    My husbands final salary pension had quite a high transfer value (about 800k) I think but we never even considered foregoing the certainty that he would get £24k per annum and £160k lump sum. We invested the £160k.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Also, there is no such thing as a wide variety of safe funds. Nothing invested is completely safe.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure