DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 11

Comments

• motivated wrote: »
    January2015 :)
    One is a general cash card and the other is a top up debit card. This helps as we only put on the top up card what we can afford and this is used for shopping. The other is for withdrawing cash so we are able to keep things separate. If there's no money on the top up card we can't buy it simples ;)

Oooh...I've never heard of a top up debit card. Can you post a link to the bank/info page or just let me know which bank it is.

This sounds like something I might like :beer:
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Hi January

I applied online it was very easy. I had email confirmation within hours that our account was open. I then applied through our account for an esaver account and that was also open straight away.

Cards arrived within a few days too.

http://www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/basic-current-account
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • Morning everyone

Well I've decided to take the plunge and try the new YNAB online version. I've been a YNAB classic user since the beginning of my DMP. I honestly believe we would not have done as well as we have if we hadn't got YNAB at the start of the process. YNAB just helped us focus on what money was allocated to what. It didn't matter what the bank balance said - it was how much was allocated against categories in YNAB.

I've purchased the classic YNAB - one off fee. Done, dusted, no more payments. However, eventually it will no longer be supported and there are new features in the online version. I've decided to trial it for one month and see how it goes. I think I did try it when it first came out and couldn't get my head round the difference between classic and new versions. Anyway - I'm giving it a go. I started last night and so far I'm loving it. I'm going to run both versions for one month and see how it goes.
  • I've had a letter from Tesco asking me to sign to authorise them to deal with Stepchange. I have 28 days to return it otherwise my account will be defaulted. I'm tempted not to return it to get my account defaulted- though I will be making my first SC payment in April- any thoughts please? Thank you.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,834 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've had a letter from Tesco asking me to sign to authorise them to deal with Stepchange. I have 28 days to return it otherwise my account will be defaulted. I'm tempted not to return it to get my account defaulted- though I will be making my first SC payment in April- any thoughts please? Thank you.

Let it default, don't sign anything.

Creditors eh !!!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 16 February 2017 at 1:05PM
    I've had a letter from Tesco asking me to sign to authorise them to deal with Stepchange. I have 28 days to return it otherwise my account will be defaulted. I'm tempted not to return it to get my account defaulted- though I will be making my first SC payment in April- any thoughts please? Thank you.

I've never heard of having to sign anything from banks to allow them to deal with SC. Tesco Bank is one of my creditors and I certainly never had to sign anything from them. That was back in 2013 when I set my DMP up so requirements might be different now though;).

Defaults are good and what everyone on here recommends :j

I'm sure someone else more knowledgeable than me will be along later to help you. Good luck:beer:

Edit: As usual, someone always beats me to it when answering people's queries:rotfl:. Cheers, sourcrates:beer:
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

I agree with the others who've already commented on this. Don't sign it.

Anyway - you have signed an authority for Stepchange to deal with your creditors. One authority which covers all your debts. This form of authority has already been agreed with lenders - who actually fund SC anyway. Tesco are playing silly beggars:mad:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Debts are sold on in bulk, a few thousand accounts at a time.

It's all down to there timescales, and can be impossible to predict.

Don't worry about it, it's a well trodden path.

OK thanks - so do I keep paying token payments once they have defaulted, or just leave it be until I hear it has been sold on?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sorry got to ask what do you mean about parents wanting you to buy a House?
    Puzz

Wish I could figure out how you clever people sometimes respond to two posts in one message!

Hi Puzz
    My folks are locked into the mentality that you "must" own your own home.
    I just know my folks at some point will be like - "why are you hanging around - why don't you buy a house now?" and it will be because we can't get a mortgage - but I am too chicken to tell them!!
  • blisteringblue
    blisteringblue Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 February 2017 at 7:32PM

I've purchased the classic YNAB - one off fee. Done, dusted, no more payments. However, eventually it will no longer be supported and there are new features in the online version. I've decided to trial it for one month and see how it goes. I think I did try it when it first came out and couldn't get my head round the difference between classic and new versions. Anyway - I'm giving it a go. I started last night and so far I'm loving it. I'm going to run both versions for one month and see how it goes.

Hi Jan, I did this back in November and planned on running both. I bet you don't, I hadn't been back to Classic at all and I finally uninstalled it last month.

You can't forecast like you could with classic because you can only allocate the money the day it is available but other than that the new version is brilliant. Reconciling is a doddle and funnily my age of money never gets very high because I have to spend it all, but those days will come after the DMP :D
    ramblehan wrote: »
    Wish I could figure out how you clever people sometimes respond to two posts in one message!

:D Simply combine posts with 2 sets of
    or the multiquote button does it for you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family