Breaking Through, Travelling On

Comments

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Advertise on freecycle? Free firewood, needs chopping. Bring own saw?
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Karmcat~~Just meant generally that it is very expensive to get things done by a trades person be it in home or garden.
    My fence of doom and tree cutting is costing a lot.
    My sitting room doors were expensive too.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Have often been guilty of chucking money at a problem myself. But I have a hunch your chap might be expensive. The chap I found via facebook cut f-I-l hedge (vast overgrown mess) and cut the lawns (hacked back undergrowth) and tidied up nicely for £160. But we let him leave the hedge stuff as we created a massive bonfire - although he did take a pile of rubble away instead.
    I found him by posting on the village facebay site.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    That seems really cheap watty ~~ you are lucky.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 October 2016 at 11:29AM
    Thank you all, that's brilliant feedback. I'm going to turn down the quote tomorrow, apologise for calling him out but its way outside what I'm comfortable paying.

I didn't do anything on it after my last post - the heavens opened, and have stayed open. I'm not going to do anything big on it today, I don't want to "work" every day, so I'm off out for a walk this afternoon, but I'll be doing a lot of tidying and sawing myself. I think I called him at the wrong time too - I hadn't swept the decking, so all the seeds were there, it looked like it had a lot of clearing work to do.

Actions
    1. carry on with the sweeping up - two thirds already done.
    2. sawing branches, from ground level up to me-on-a-dining-chair.
    3. chuck the branches to the front yard, offer first pick to neighbour, offer the rest on freegle as bonfire/woodburning material.
    4. experiment on other prunings with my BBQ, when it stops raining and things dry out a bit.
    5. ETA - use the mobile waste collections, 6th November for my town, 20th November for my village, then 15th January and it starts up again.

:j:j:j
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Excellent. Sorted. Remember that 5/11 approaches as Eating the E alluded to above so perhaps the scouts/ community group etc might be arranging a bonfire/ fireworks event and be willing to collect/saw/ lug for free wood.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Hello there!

Sounds as if retirement life is suiting you. So glad it's working out well.

I read the posts from your retirement day, and the only way I can describe it, is that joy was radiating off the screen!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    We hacked the smaller branches off an old tree years ago and then put an ad on freegle for someone to come and chop it down and take it away for firewood (was quite a tall tree and a thick trunk) - didn't cost us a penny and they got a load of wood (granted it needed to season for a year or so) for their heating :)

We did pay for someone to chop a large cherry down last year (bordered ours and neighbours house) and treat the stump. They took the branches away and sawed the trunk into manageable lumps which I've been burning on the chiminea this year. Cant remember exact cost - £150ish?

x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Verbatim wrote: »
    Excellent. Sorted. Remember that 5/11 approaches as Eating the E alluded to above so perhaps the scouts/ community group etc might be arranging a bonfire/ fireworks event and be willing to collect/saw/ lug for free wood.
    Ah! Round here, most towns have a Bonfire Society, and my village is one of them, it's huge. That may just be fireworks now, but I'll check, thanks, its a great idea.
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Hello there!

Sounds as if retirement life is suiting you. So glad it's working out well.

I read the posts from your retirement day, and the only way I can describe it, is that joy was radiating off the screen!
    Hiya :j:j

Good to see you! Yes, I was very joyful that day, and the joy continues :j:j I keep thinking back to your journey to get things straight, and how similar it is :)
    greent wrote: »
    We hacked the smaller branches off an old tree years ago and then put an ad on freegle for someone to come and chop it down and take it away for firewood (was quite a tall tree and a thick trunk) - didn't cost us a penny and they got a load of wood (granted it needed to season for a year or so) for their heating :)

We did pay for someone to chop a large cherry down last year (bordered ours and neighbours house) and treat the stump. They took the branches away and sawed the trunk into manageable lumps which I've been burning on the chiminea this year. Cant remember exact cost - £150ish?

x
    That sounds more reasonable, if there was a lot of sawing ... what I'm hoping is that by the time I've thinned everything from me-on-a-chair, I can do what I did at my previous house, where there was an ash tree only four feet from the house: I lassoed the top of the tree to control the fall, and sawed through the trunk about eight feet from the base :D

More thinning today, plus writing, i.e. transcribing my 1976 diary. I'm up to Beograd, Belgrade as was, just about to get to Greece.

I've already checked the French current account, the latest rent payment has gone in, and because I paid the taxes online, they don't take the money till 10 days after the due date, which seems odd, but I have an email saying exactly that. Over the next two years, I'll be sending another £6k in total, probably, partly because the exchange rate has sunk so badly, and then it *should* be more or less self financing, though it will provide no income.
    Save
  • Karmacat
    Computer had a hiccup, so I started sawing at cherry laurel - when I was ill, I snipped at things before (eventually ...) sawing things. It's different this way :j in just 15 minutes I've got half a dozen branches, some of them 7 feet long, to throw into the front yard :j so glad I didn't accept that quote!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport