Holiday Entitlement - Mandatory Days

Options
Hi

I am employed full time by my employer, and they allow 22 days annual leave. They also allow employees to purchase up to 10 extra days annual leave per year, and I've purchased 5, so have 27 days overall.

We've just been informed that staff who are not required between Christmas and New Year will be forced to take 3 days annual leave. I don't fall in to any of the categories that would require me to be here during Christmas and New Year, but I'm being forced to take these holidays, even though the office is open and I could technically be working.

I find it unfair because 3 of my 5 extra purchased holidays are now effectively gone for a holiday that I wouldn't normally take. I also think that it's unfair because only a certain portion of staff are being forced, others will have the option as usual.

This will be my third Christmas with my employer, but this is the first time this has happened. Are they allowed to do this?

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Yes your employer can tell you when to take leave as long as they give you two days notice for every day they want you to take. So they have given ample notice for Christmas leave.
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 886 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes in theory they could tell you when you could take all your holiday days provided they gave you ample notice.

Would there be work for you to do? If so you could ask to see if they would let you. Or could you do work of those who are having to work so they could have time off? One Christmas although my department was shut I managed to negotiate working for my previous one as they had loads of people who wanted Christmas off. Everyone was happy could something like this work for you?
  • kitkat1909
    Options
    cr1mson wrote: »
    Yes in theory they could tell you when you could take all your holiday days provided they gave you ample notice.

Would there be work for you to do? If so you could ask to see if they would let you. Or could you do work of those who are having to work so they could have time off? One Christmas although my department was shut I managed to negotiate working for my previous one as they had loads of people who wanted Christmas off. Everyone was happy could something like this work for you?

Thanks for the info. Yes - I'm employed as a Project Manager so always busy, and there would definitely be work for me to do, December to March is my busiest time. In my first year here, I took a holiday between Christmas and New Year but ended up working from home for at least a few hours per day anyway

At least I know now what the rules are, so thank you!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For future reference, see the When leave can and can't be taken section on this page

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/booking-time-off-
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport