The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Previous Searches

Hi All,

I'm just doing some Credit Report tidying up, and wanted to know whether any of these 'Previous Searches' will have a detriment to my record, and whether there is anything I can do if so?
  • Credit Card
  • Business Airtime Retail (3 mobile)
  • Identification: Generic Check
  • Quotation Insurance
  • Unrecorded Enquiry
  • Credit Report
Am I right in thinking, if there were NO credit searches in the next 12 months, then all of these would drop off and I'd have nothing showing in this section? Would that be a good scenario?

Thanks alll :)

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2013 at 10:08AM
    Depends which credit reference agency you are using as to how quick the searches drop off. (1 year experian, 2 years noddle, 1 or 2 years equifax).

No reason to think any of those would have a detrimental effect to your ability to get credit. Only the top 2 are credit application searches anyway, and whilst its not good to have a large number of these close together 2 over a few months is not excessive.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Poorcouple
    Poorcouple Posts: 45 Forumite
    I had a horrible time getting a decent phone service last year, and ended up getting 4 separate contracts within around 2 months.
    All were accepted but all were terminated, (my choice) as I received no signal where I live despite a promise of network coverage. As all of these were accepted, will they also come off after 1 year? I notice only one of these is showing on my previous searches anyway?
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Do they just appear as a search? or do they appear in the accounts section of your credit file?

If they show as an account and then show as closed/settled then they will stay on file for 6 years from the date the account was closed.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Poorcouple
    Poorcouple Posts: 45 Forumite
    Tixy wrote: »
    Do they just appear as a search? or do they appear in the accounts section of your credit file?

If they show as an account and then show as closed/settled then they will stay on file for 6 years from the date the account was closed.

They show as settled and closed accounts.
    6 years then :/
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Poorcouple wrote: »
    They show as settled and closed accounts.
    6 years then :/

If you suspect they're having a detrimental effect on your ability to get credit you may want to consider adding a notice of correction to your file explaining that you had so many contracts due to signal issues with each one.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family