IS & mortgage interest payments

Zziggi
Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
edited 5 March 2010 at 12:57AM in Benefits & tax credits
Hiya
Background info: Family get IS & get £45 a week help towards mortgage interest payments paid direct to the lender. Family have no savings.

monthly MINIMUM mortgage = £259
DSS payments = (4x £45)=£180
family need to pay = £79 per month.

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    In my opinion the DWP would only be interested in considering " Intentional Deprivation of Capital" if your savings were around the £3000 mark. At this point benefit income remaining after the period for which it was paid, becomes capital and should, as far as the legislation is concerned, be used to reduce your benefits rather than reduce your mortgage.
    While you savings and capital remain under the £3000 threshold how you spend your money is up to you. I feel it would be hard for them to argue "INTENTION TO DEPRIVE" when you are currently getting IS and Mortgage Interest payments and the effect of your action will decrease the amount of capital on which those Mortgage Interest payments are made, thus reducing the DWP contribution.
    I've had a chat with my local office and the person I spoke to couldn't see anything wrong with what you are doing and so the message is carry on and stop worrying.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family