Land of leather - Insurance

Hi, all

Can anyone please help....

Im brought this leather sofa in 2007 and was sold insurance for accidental damage, etc although i didnt need it the sales person made me think otherwise. it cost me £300 for 5 years, now looking at my home insurance ive got contents insurance which covers all that. Now im really not happy at all :mad:

Ive sent a letter to Homeserve the company who insured the sofa through land of leather, got a response back last week saying they are NOT responsible for this mistake or mis-selling of the insurance and should contact land of leather. Ive called land of leather and they pass on the blame to Homeserve. and ask me to contact them. What shall i do?????

any advise or infor will be greatly appreciated

Comments

• maxdp
    maxdp Posts: 3,873 Forumite
    rokib_98 wrote: »
    Hi, all

Can anyone please help....

Im brought this leather sofa in 2007 and was sold insurance for accidental damage, etc although i didnt need it the sales person made me think otherwise. it cost me £300 for 5 years, now looking at my home insurance ive got contents insurance which covers all that. Now im really not happy at all :mad:

Ive sent a letter to Homeserve the company who insured the sofa through land of leather, got a response back last week saying they are NOT responsible for this mistake or mis-selling of the insurance and should contact land of leather. Ive called land of leather and they pass on the blame to Homeserve. and ask me to contact them. What shall i do?????

any advise or infor will be greatly appreciated

Hi go back to the person/company that sold you the insurance. It is up to you to make sure that the insurance suits your needs. If you still feel that you have been miss sold look through the claim back 1000's red tab at top of page for advise or post back on here.

Good luck
    :mad:
  • Hi, agree to a degree, in as much as, there is an onus of reponsibility on your part that it is up to you that the insurance suits you, more importantly there is a larger responsibility of the insurer to fully explain the insurance for you to make an informed decision. I you felt pressurised or if it appeared to you that the insurance was obligitory or not explained fully then you would have cause to complain. The last post sort of indicates that it was your fault, not ness the case.
  • Pretty sure Land of Leather were the company who were fined for this in not ensuring that they had adequate procedures in place for the PPI sales. From memory, their head man faced a personal fine too for his involvement. If they have been fined before, it's definitely worth pursuing as you may be one of the people affected by the process deemed sufficiently inept by the FSA that they were fined for it.

Edit - found the article online. The were fined £210K and their Chief Exec £14K for his failure to ensure proper procedures in place.
    Almost debt-free, but certainly even with the Banks!
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Pretty sure Land of Leather were the company who were fined for this in not ensuring that they had adequate procedures in place for the PPI sales. From memory, their head man faced a personal fine too for his involvement. If they have been fined before, it's definitely worth pursuing as you may be one of the people affected by the process deemed sufficiently inept by the FSA that they were fined for it.

Edit - found the article online. The were fined £210K and their Chief Exec £14K for his failure to ensure proper procedures in place.

I think you may be right bathgatebuyer, I have read on this as well somewhere, cheers.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • oscar52
    oscar52 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    Dont want to throw a spanner in the works for OP but havnt Land of Leather gone belly up?
    No Longer works for MBNA as of August 2010 - redundancy money will be nice though.

Proud to be a Friend of Niddy.
    no idea what my nerdnumber is - i am now officially nerd 229, no idea on my debt free date
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure