Kitchen fitting (B&Q)

Comments

• ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    We had a B&Q fitted kitchen. Total budget was £7k.

Parts came to about £3.5k, we thought we were well in, until they told us it would cost them £5-£6k to fit it!

We got really friendly (no, not that friendly) with the quotes guy, and he arranged for the actual B&Q fitters to come and do a homer for us over evenings and week-ends (took them about a week and meant we didn't have to take time off). They did it for £2k cash in the end. We still got our certificate.

The day after they delivered all the parts, there was a 10% off day in the store - we went back in and said we wanted to arrange collection of everything and re-order it to take advantage of the discount. (Think it was free delivery anyway). They gave us the discount, and actually some of it was discounted even more, so we got about £500 back for the cheek of asking.

Was pleased with the end result!!!
  • Phew, am I glad that my dad's DIY skills are impressive! He came up for the week and fitted our relatively cheap IKEA kitchen in that time. Thankfully the appliances weren't moving far so there was no electrical work. He did have to redo some of the plumbing and cement some of the floor to get is level but all within his reach.

I didn't price up fitting at the time but now guess the meal out I bought wasn't much of a thank you. Mind, he was really keen to help and its my first house so it was more of a house warming present.
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    It is my understanding that B&Q subcontract to the cheapest fitters they can find (why not they are a business after all). These sub-contractors have no loyalty to B&Q and they know only too well that B&Q are taking a huge cut of the fee that is charged for the fitting service. These sub-contractors will also have private work where no doubt they will be receiving the entire fitting fee and will be putting their reputation on the line. It doesn't take a genius to figure out which job gets done first and which job gets more attention to detail.

By the way, welcome to all the new posters who have managed but a single post in support of B&Q then have disappeared, this is not in any way suspicious and troll like. Thank you for your SPAM.

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Scoobs72
    Scoobs72 Posts: 77 Forumite
    It is my understanding that B&Q subcontract to the cheapest fitters they can find

It's my understanding that this changed a few months ago and all fitters are now in-house (from Rok Group, part of B&Q parent Kingfisher).
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Scoobs72 wrote: »
    It's my understanding that this changed a few months ago and all fitters are now in-house (from Rok Group, part of B&Q parent Kingfisher).

If their customer service is anything like that of B&Q then they will leave a lot to be desired.

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • janet6267
    janet6267 Posts: 299 Forumite
    I have just purchased a kitchen from B&Q, took advantage of half price installation and 15% off. Total kitchen 3k includes tiling of the walls and floor. I thought it was a good deal. Delivery is 25th Sept and fitting starts 29th Sept, I will let you know what happens. I have had no problems so far and am pleased with the deal, after reading this thread though it has made me worry a bit.
  • janet6267 wrote: »
    I have just purchased a kitchen from B&Q, took advantage of half price installation and 15% off. Total kitchen 3k includes tiling of the walls and floor. I thought it was a good deal. Delivery is 25th Sept and fitting starts 29th Sept, I will let you know what happens. I have had no problems so far and am pleased with the deal, after reading this thread though it has made me worry a bit.

Hi Janet,

You may have noticed that I started a thread about BnQ kitchens (for the views of people who have had one in recently!). I am like you, I took advantage of the 1/2 price install and 15% off, my price is similar to yours. So far I have been happy with the service, but like you concerned with the recent comments on this thread!!! I hope you don't mind me asking, what size of kitchen do you have? Are you just having the splash back tiled or the entire walls? I'm just trying to compare my price to yours!! You could PM me if you don't want it on here?

Thanks

Linda

:)
    Sealed pot challenge - 561
  • janet6267
    janet6267 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Hi Janet,

You may have noticed that I started a thread about BnQ kitchens (for the views of people who have had one in recently!). I am like you, I took advantage of the 1/2 price install and 15% off, my price is similar to yours. So far I have been happy with the service, but like you concerned with the recent comments on this thread!!! I hope you don't mind me asking, what size of kitchen do you have? Are you just having the splash back tiled or the entire walls? I'm just trying to compare my price to yours!! You could PM me if you don't want it on here?

Thanks

Linda

:)

Hi Linda
    Glad to hear someone has done the same as me, don't feel so bad now!
    My kitchen is quite small, the floor space is 6 square metres, the tiling is just to the bottom of the cupboards and we are having the stainless steel splashback behind the cooker, we are having a new cooker hood so wanted it to match. The tiling on the walls is around 4 square metres. We are keeping our existing cooker, washing machine and fridge freezer so only having a cooker hood and new double sink. Hopefully this will help you, if you would like any further information to compare then please let me know.

Janet
    We are having Oak style shaker.
  • janet6267 wrote: »
    Hi Linda
    Glad to hear someone has done the same as me, don't feel so bad now!
    My kitchen is quite small, the floor space is 6 square metres, the tiling is just to the bottom of the cupboards and we are having the stainless steel splashback behind the cooker, we are having a new cooker hood so wanted it to match. The tiling on the walls is around 4 square metres. We are keeping our existing cooker, washing machine and fridge freezer so only having a cooker hood and new double sink. Hopefully this will help you, if you would like any further information to compare then please let me know.

Janet
    We are having Oak style shaker.

Hi Janet,

Ours is a very similar size to yours, and similar work to be done. We are choosing to put back our install as we are getting new combi boiler in first, then kitchen to be done! look forward to hearing how you get on!! Also had the surveyor out last week, he seemed very knowledgeable and was very helpful re: where things could and couldn't go due to pipe location etc.... I must admit, I still can't help but think it would be alot cheaper to get local in... but with no one recommended... We picked the chocolate oak units - altho the area is small, it's very light and we are only having units on one wall. The other side is having a breakfast bar. Let me know how you get on!

Linda

xxx
    Sealed pot challenge - 561
  • inspect wrote: »
    A professionally fitted kitchen is expensive. There’s no way of getting around that, maybe one but I’ll get to that. ;)

Joiners, builders, carpenters are not kitchen fitters. I consider myself a professional kitchen fitter and yes I occasionally install for B&Q. Kitchen fitters are usually multi-trade, I started as a carpenter and moved into other trades I’m now a fully approved member of the NICEIC (electrical), WRAS (plumbing) and Corgis(gas) and a few other bits and pieces. You need all of these trades and more to fit a kitchen, don’t be fooled by a carpenters quote also consider how much it will cost to connect water, gas, electrics and get the floor and walls tiled. Remember to ask for certificates on completion. Kitchen fitters also carry the full range of tools to correctly install a kitchen.

B&Q offer an installation service and they make money from it, they wouldn’t do it otherwise. But what your buying is piece of mind, whether you get it is another thing,:confused: but if something goes wrong you can hold them to account and they will eventually put things right. If you have a complaint you can go into the store and voice your concerns, they’re not going to change their telephone number because you keep ringing either. I’ve heard far more horror stories from customers who have had a friend of friend or the local builder install their kitchen:mad: than problems with kitchens fitted by the likes of B&Q. Kitchens cost a lot of money, I’d consider them a luxury item, for the cost of a kitchen you could change the car or go on holiday. Don’t cut corners, if you want to save money get the job done right first time by a professional kitchen fitter!

The majority of kitchen fitters subcontract to the likes of B&Q, MFI, Magnets, Homebase etc. the ones you find in the Yellow pages usually work the high end kitchens and price accordingly. For the last three years I have been running a forum for kitchen fitters, I have recently set up a kitchen fitter database. It is on the web but it is in its early stages with a few bugs that need ironing out. I won’t put the address on now but when I do the public will have direct access to kitchen fitters nationally. The same fitters that install for the big sheds so you can go to them direct to avoid the large admin fees. Savings would be in the hundreds of pounds – maybe Martin might be interested? :rotfl:

Totally agree with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport