Is it possible to get Barclaycard Initial 6 years after BR?

Comments

• Izzy123456
    Izzy123456 Posts: 70 Forumite
    My bankruptcy dropped off my file this week. Did the pre application checker with Barclays and it gave me the option of the platinum simplicty, platinum purchases or the initial. Opted for the platinum simplicity at 7.9% and it went through straight away. Far better than the capital one classic at 39.9%

IzzyWizzy, were Barclays one of your creditors in your BR? (sorry if I asked you this before!)

Izzy
  • exponential
    exponential Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi guys.

I have just applied and been accepted for a Barclaycard.
    I didnt think i would be accepted because I have heard they are difficult to obtain post BR but got the ok straight away.
    Got an email yesterday saying the card I will receive will be an "Initial" card which has a 29.9% APR attached to it. (I think)?

I was discharged early from my BR back in July 2010 and have cleaned up my credit files which had a few anomallies on it and also made sure I am on the electoral roll which is a MUST!

The reason I applied is because I currently have a Vanquis card and the APR is astronomical let alone the purchase charges etc etc. Its costing me the best part of £110 a month so I am going to do a balance transfer to my Barclaycard BUT they have only given me a starting limit of £800 but nevertheless, at least I can transfer the bulk of my Vanquis balance!!!:D

I have held the Vanquis card for just over a year now and have kept the card payments on time with no defaults and they recently upped my limit to £1700 BTW.

Would love to know how one discharged BR gets accepted yet another ex BR wont be accepted??
  • Just a quick comment on previous post, if you do transfer/pay off your vanquis cc you may be best closing it altogether because if you apply for further credit it could affect your credit score as it may look like you have too much credit, and it will stop you spending on both and being back at square one.
  • I personally think they make going BR easy TBH and certantly makes it easy for anyone as the consequences on this are very minimal.

Its outrageous actually How someone 3 years ago was declared Bankrupt and could of ran up debts on purpose knowing they couldn't afford to pay any money back and gets to get a barclaycard especially when many struggle paying back every penny and BR's end up having a fresh start with no debts within a couple of years.

Not saying everyone going BR is the same but me personally think there should be a higher price to pay.

yes I do agree with you on all comments Bugsy, and I for one have learnt the hard way "we all make mistakes" but with out getting into a debate unfortunately in life other things in life require having a good credit score and a downside of building that is having too possess a credit card and managing it just one of those big downfalls in life:(
  • sumo22
    sumo22 Posts: 69 Forumite
    ok a quick question for me please if ya dont mind

as it seems from here and my reaserch the barclays card is better than the vanquis but as i have a CCJ on my file and 1 or 2 late payments which one will i be more likely to get or will it just depend on other factors?
  • all I can say is give it a go sumo, just be honest and hide nothing from them in the end what can you loose, in my defence I did get a basic account from them first but you have to go into a branch for that, is everything else up to date ie are you on the electrol roll, there is an option on there site to see what your chances would be if you did apply, good luck.:money:
  • sumo22
    sumo22 Posts: 69 Forumite
    bigbopper69- yea ok i will and yea im on the electro role thing also if i get rejected it will show up on my file and it will make it even worse thats all im worried about or wont it matter that much as it will only be the one search instead of several
  • Hi izzy, I previous had accounts with both Barclays and Barclaycard. I did find it really strange that not once during the application was I asked about bankruptcy at all!
  • exponential
    exponential Posts: 230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just a quick comment on previous post, if you do transfer/pay off your vanquis cc you may be best closing it altogether because if you apply for further credit it could affect your credit score as it may look like you have too much credit, and it will stop you spending on both and being back at square one.

Hi bigbopper:

That certainly is my intention!
    As soon as the Vanquis balance is paid off in full, I will close the account with them and maintain the Barclays card as the interest rate is much much better and, in time, I will be offered a much better rate of interest as a customer who keeps his account in good standing.

It may also open the door for me to eventually be able open a current account with Barclays because at the moment, a full current account seems unobtainable.
    Currently have a Co Op basic bank account but at least it has online banking which is essential! :D
  • Hi bigbopper:

That certainly is my intention!
    As soon as the Vanquis balance is paid off in full, I will close the account with them and maintain the Barclays card as the interest rate is much much better and, in time, I will be offered a much better rate of interest as a customer who keeps his account in good standing.

It may also open the door for me to eventually be able open a current account with Barclays because at the moment, a full current account seems unobtainable.
    Currently have a Co Op basic bank account but at least it has online banking which is essential! :D

Hi ex, Just to follow on I spoke to the advisor at Barclays a few weeks after setting up the current account, he said normally after 4/6 months of running the account in a good order I should be written to and offered an upgrade to a full account same with the initial card keep the account paid at least with minimum each month and there should be an increase in the credit limit not that i am looking for that but all counts to credit score.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure