Switch Jobs or Not

Help, Im having a bit of a dilemma should I switch my current job or not. Allow me to give you some back ground before I do.

I worked for a company for 6 years, I got on well with the staff and enjoyed it, however they were tight with pay rises and various other things. I left in Aug 2005 for a 7k pay rise, My new job meant I as travelling Further but the cost of travel was easily covered by the pay rise.

This job lasted 6 months before I told the company to stick it, they didn't hold there prmoises they made and I was not hppy there. I then got a job in a similar location for a slight bit more, I now have to travel into the centre of the town rather than the outskirts.

I enjoy my current job and again get on well with the staff etc. My big headache at the moment is the travelling, Now I go into the town centre it takes me about an hour and half to get to work and the same home. My petrol cots have also increased to about 50-60 quid a week.

I have ober the christmas period been talking to my old boss (the first one I worked for for 6 years) and they have offered me a job back where I was for a similar pay to what I am one now. This job is in the town centre of the city I live in so heres my problem.

Do I swap jobs go back to the old job saving myself 3 hours a day travelling, £240 a month travelling expense and the major headaches I get when the car needs reapirs etc. BUT risk the future prospect of good payrises etc which is the reason I left before.

Or stay put and not gain anything immediately but still be out of pocket.

£240 a month towards my debts is very tempting and would releive a lot of stress. But in three yeas I could be on that at my current place if the pay rises count.

Quick rough matsh thats just under £9000 better off id be over the next 3 years and saving 3 hours travel. But the the 3 years after am I going to be technically better off.

You see its all a big gamble either way. The payrise I just got could be one to try and keep the new boy from wondering and I could find myself in the same boat anyhow.

AAAARGH decisions.

What would any of your advise be?

Comments

• gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    OK, toss a coin. Heads you stay where you are..... tails you go back to old company.....Do that now before reading down..... DON'T CHEAT!!!!!!!!

Ignore results of toss! Ok, how did you feel while the coin was in the air? Were you hoping for heads or tails?????? That's what you should go by. Bet you were hoping for tails.

3 hours a day = 15 hours a week = 675 hours a year (ignoring hols & Bank hols). A hell of a big chunk of your life, plus better off for 3 years, plus a company you enjoyed, plus a boss who values you enough to want you back. Now he knows your worth, and that you will leave again if no prospects, I'd be surprised if he doesn't reward you. That's the next 3 years taken care of, how many of us can realistically plan even that far ahead, let alone further?

IMHO this offer has come for a reason - take it!!! (but only if that's what your gut instinct says!)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    You could take the job offer and have immediate savings to pay towards debt..hmm..that's very tempting indeed!

If it were me, I would do that, then in about 12 months time, I would be looking to move onwards and upwards, including a better salary.

In my experience, you do have to move companies if you want to increase your pay over and above inflation and/or the company payrise.

I always go with gut feeling, having weighed up the pros and cons, but I never look at being in a job for more than 3-4 years max unless the salary is good for what I do and the people I work with are so good that I wouldn't risk moving to lose that. (Been in mine 5 years now because it's good on both counts).
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    I agree with both the Alis - check your gut feeing, and if you want to go back to your old job do that without hesitation and enjoy having lots more time in your life.

I'm in quite a similar situation to you and reading your post has helped to clarify for me what I want to do, so thank you and thank you Alis as well!
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62

• I did forget to mention I am currently on a threshold with both that will effectivly lock me into a financial problem with either compay.

I training to become a Chartered QS and am baout to start my FInal professional assessment. This takes 2 years and costs a lost of money. oth companies are willing to pay for it however, once they do If i Leave within 12 months I have to repay it. this means iF i stay or leave I will be stuck there for at least 2 years.

My gut is leaning towards the Return to old place at the mo.
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Go with your gut feeling. Instinct is usually right. As the others have said, how many of us know that we can be in a job we enjoy etc etc for the next three years.

If you leave too earlier than that, the worst that will happen is that you have to repay your study fees. If you do leave to go somewhere else, just make sure that your new job covers the cost of whatever you have to repay. In my experience they will usually cover this if you ask for it as a condition of employment.

Good luck, whichever way you go, but I think you have already made up your mind!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • 1). I'd stick with your gut feeling.

2). I'd stick the £240 fuel saving towards debt repayment. Fuel costs will continue to go up.

3). Car repair costs need to be taken into account. How much should you budget for?

4). Save your self 3 hours travel a day. I have been in the same position and my travel per day is now 80 minutes.

5). If you don't cut travel time, travel costs and repairs and continue with mounting debt by not saving £240 pcm you will probably get stressed from the driving, long hours and escalating debt which will not help your health or your Chartered QS exams.

6). Your ex: boss must realize you maybe tempted to move on if income is not in the medium to long term enticing enough? He isn't stupid, is he?
  • Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    pyrorus wrote:
    I did forget to mention I am currently on a threshold with both that will effectivly lock me into a financial problem with either compay.

I training to become a Chartered QS and am baout to start my FInal professional assessment. This takes 2 years and costs a lost of money. oth companies are willing to pay for it however, once they do If i Leave within 12 months I have to repay it. this means iF i stay or leave I will be stuck there for at least 2 years.

My gut is leaning towards the Return to old place at the mo.

Go with your gut feeling!

So you're looking at staying with the company for 3 years to avoid paying costs back. Your strategy might then be to either do what hypno06 suggests, or knowing that you have a 3 year stretch ahead, learn and experience absolutely anything and everything you can get your hands on in your field..so you are armed with knowledge and experience that will get you a whacking pay increase at a higher level in another company after your 3 years! Win-win either way :D

Oh, and with that spare "non-travelling" time, could you squeeze in a 2nd job to get some more dosh for the debts?!
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business