Any 0% BT cards for low incomes but good credit history?

Options
I have a balance of about £1000 on a card coming up to the end of the 0% period. I'm currently living on income from savings and investments, so can only truthfully claim an annual income under £5k for this year.

I did a soft check with the MSE calculator for a balance transfer card and got a 90% with a high street bank I already have a relationship with. Being extra cautious I called to find out if my low income would be an issue and was told all was well. I did an online application and got a 'decline'. :mad:

Are there any 0% balance transfer cards which are more likely than others to accept someone on a low income but with a good credit history?

I have a larger stooze fund coming to the end of a deal later this year, so I want to be cautious in case declined applications now ruin my chance of getting something else later. I'm expecting to have to write off at least part of the £1000 now in order to have any chance of keeping the bigger pot.

Any ideas gratefully received.
"In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 May 2017 at 9:07PM
    Options
    I would say I qualify as relatively low income and MSE show me as very weak affordability. Successfully opened BT cards with Tesco, Halifax and Virgin this year equalling my annual income on top of my already held cards which also equal my income.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    I would say I qualify as relatively low income and MSE show me as very weak affordability. Successfully opened BT cards with Tesco, Halifax and Virgin this year equalling my annual income on top of my already held cards which also equal my income.

Thanks molerat. Tesco want a minimum income of £5k, Virgin said no via their own online soft checker.

Will try Halifax, thanks for the suggestion.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Will try Halifax, thanks for the suggestion.

Nope, I won't be getting a little extra help from them.
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You mention a £1,000 debt, another larger debt and an income of only £5k. So you are almost certainly being rejected on affordability.

I suggest rather than trying individual credit card eligibility checkers. Try the MSE eligibility checker which will check all credit cards and give you an indication of which are likely to accept you
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    You mention a £1,000 debt, another larger debt and an income of only £5k. So you are almost certainly being rejected on affordability.

I suggest rather than trying individual credit card eligibility checkers. Try the MSE eligibility checker which will check all credit cards and give you an indication of which are likely to accept you

The OP already did.
    I have a balance of about £1000 on a card coming up to the end of the 0% period. I'm currently living on income from savings and investments, so can only truthfully claim an annual income under £5k for this year.

I did a soft check with the MSE calculator for a balance transfer card and got a 90% with a high street bank I already have a relationship with. Being extra cautious I called to find out if my low income would be an issue and was told all was well. I did an online application and got a 'decline'. :mad:

Are there any 0% balance transfer cards which are more likely than others to accept someone on a low income but with a good credit history?

I have a larger stooze fund coming to the end of a deal later this year, so I want to be cautious in case declined applications now ruin my chance of getting something else later. I'm expecting to have to write off at least part of the £1000 now in order to have any chance of keeping the bigger pot.

Any ideas gratefully received.

If you've been declined twice now, I would forget about making any more applications.

Is you income situation likely to change in the next 6 months/year?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Possibly, but the bank that actually declined me knew my income already, were aware I was looking at up to £1000 BT, and that both card balances are less than the amount I have deposited in savings with them. They said that looked fine, but it was the computer which said 'no' - quite possibly because it determined (quite rightly) that I am a 'p' taking stoozer with no intention of letting them gain a penny of my money as a result of obtaining the card ;)
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 May 2017 at 9:21PM
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    If you've been declined twice now, I would forget about making any more applications.

Is you income situation likely to change in the next 6 months/year?

It is only one proper decline, the others have all been soft enquiries - I wasn't going to make a second proper application unless I knew I'd got a reasonable chance. I've also made a complaint to the declining bank who suggested - surprisingly - that they may be able to remove the search from my credit history, though I'm not really expecting anything to come of that.

My income situation will only change if interest rates start rising, or I go back to work. Given the maximum amount I could gain by stoozing the £1000 for another year (it would barely cover the cost of the train fare to a job interview) I'm not inclined to go back to work just to qualify for a credit card ;)

I also get a letter today regarding a complaint I'd made relating to the £1000 card - the compensation offer is equivalent to a 10% return :) so I think I just have to say it was good while it lasted and let this one go. Some we win, some we lose. :D

Many thanks for the advice though.
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    it was the computer which said 'no' - quite possibly because it determined (quite rightly) that I am a 'p' taking stoozer with no intention of letting them gain a penny of my money as a result of obtaining the card ;)

That's what the computer thinks of me as well!. :D

A couple of years ago when I retired and had a bit more time I began stoozing. Partly to save money and partly out of curiosity to see how much 0% debt I could acquire.

Initially it was easy, eligibility checkers giving high rates of acceptance for nearly all cards.

Once my debt exceeded £15k it became progressively more difficult, although some CC's would still accept me.

Now I have £30k CC debt. But further 0% offers have dried up.

Others with a higher income might be able to secure a larger stooze pot But £30k appears to be the max unsecured debt that I can obtain.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's what the computer thinks of me as well!. :D

They are obviously on to us! ;)

I got another card offer letter in the post this morning from a bank who appeared near the bottom of the 'you're having a laugh!' section of the MSE checker.

I don't understand why they have wasted their effort in luring me with high interest on a current account so they can cross-sell me, send me letters to clinch the cross-sell, but fail to notice my income is way below the minimum threshold they want me to have. If only I could run the bank's marketing strategy departments for a day ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport