Is there any other way to get a London bus registration number after an accident?

Options
schadrac30
schadrac30 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 11 May 2017 at 12:39PM in Public transport & cycling
Last month I had an accident on the London bus, the driver broke down violently and I flew from the back of the bus to the front of the bus, all I could remember after is that everybody was shouting at the bus driver to stop as I was on the floor ect...and the driver did not stop and continue his journey, and I got out at the next bus stop near to where I was going and called a taxi and went to the hospital, but I forgot to take the bus registration numbers because I was in pain all around my arm and my head and I could not move my arms. Once at the hospital they did X-ray for my arm and scan for my head and said that I only had some minor injuries, and needed to stay home for 3 weeks, having physiotherapy afterwards ect... I did report it to TFL and claim for compensation, but my claim has been rejected just because I did not provide the bus registration number to track the driver. Is there any other way I can get it after the accident? Because I'm sure with all the information I gave Tfl on the same day of the accident based on the bus number, exact time, street name, witnesses, and I still have my oyster if they need to check on CCTV Footage from the bus.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd imagine that the Oystercard reader links it to either the driver or the bus number/reg, so they should be able to determine that. The problem then is proving liability. Mine logs the time and bus route when used, and displays them in my online account, but no doubt the other data is accessible to TFL
    I assumed that by 'broke down violently' you mean he braked violently? Were you seated at the time or standing?
    He may well have had a good reason to stop suddenly though.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    I assumed that by 'broke down violently' you mean he braked violently?
    Or had a psychotic episode.
  • schadrac30
    Options
    Thank you. I was standing because the bus was full. This is what tfl said they need to find out the reason why the driver brake down, also why he did not stop, even a lady her buggy was about to fly and she catch it. I'm sure they have ways of finding it because I'm sure many people have been it this situation where at first you do not think of taking the vehicle registration number because you think first about your health, and someone said that he may had a good reason to brake down but London bus drivers have a duty of care, I was on the floor and the driver did not stop to check upon me and other passengers.
  • schadrac30
    Options
    Yes, the driver braked down that I flew.:(
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do you regularly catch the same time bus? You could try again at the same time and either see if you get the same driver (take his number) or see if any of the other passengers on the bus were also on the bus when the incident occurred and ask if they have more details.

As an aside, the correct wording is 'the bus/driver braked' or 'the bus/driver braked suddenly'. To 'break down' means that the bus stopped working (e.g. a burst tyre or the engine wouldn't start). Alternatively, a 'break down' concerns mental health e.g. a nervous break down. 'Brake down' is not a phrase, as far as I know. If talking with TFL, you should use the correct term to avoid confusing matters.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    schadrac30 wrote: »
    Is there any other way to get a bus registration number after an accident?

Last month I had an accident on the London bus, the driver broke down violently and I flew from the back of the bus to the front of the bus, all I could remember after is that everybody was shouting at the bus driver to stop as I was on the floor ect...and the driver did not stop and continue his journey, and I got out at the next bus stop near to where I was going and called a taxi and went to the hospital, but I forgot to take the bus registration numbers because I was in pain all around my arm and my head and I could not move my arms. Once at the hospital they did X-ray for my arm and scan for my head and said that I only had some minor injuries, and needed to stay home for 3 weeks, having physiotherapy afterwards ect... I did report it to TFL and claim for compensation, but my claim has been rejected just because I did not provide the bus registration number to track the driver. Is there any other way I can get it after the accident? Because I'm sure with all the information I gave Tfl on the same day of the accident based on the bus number, exact time, street name, witnesses, and I still have my oyster if they need to check on CCTV Footage from the bus.

Do you mean they told you to take three weeks off work for minor injuries, what did these injuries consist of?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure