IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter before claim

Comments

• Exhibit the permit to sons WS
    Make sure you refer to both the AST and the permit in your WS as well though, but describe them as exhibited to son's statement as AB1, AB2 etc.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Does anyone know if an 01792 number is permitted on a PPC's sign? Ditto a box number?

Thank you.
  • Do you mean an 0871 premium rate number KOI?

I read on another thread they are not allowed. The more knowledgeable posters will know the ins and outs of this.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Does anyone know if an 01792 number is permitted on a PPC's sign? Ditto a box number?

Thank you.

A very basic search on Google shows that 01792 is a standard telephone code for the Swansea area. Did you not try that? Why do you think it should not be permitted?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Yes,so sorry, that's what I meant - an 0871 premium number!

Just got back from watching a strike-out hearing (it was adjourned instead) and the brain is overloaded.
    Do you mean an 0871 premium rate number KOI?

I read on another thread they are not allowed. The more knowledgeable posters will know the ins and outs of this.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 were published on 13 December 2013 and came into force on 13 June 2014. Regulation 41 requires retailers, traders and passenger transport companies to use "basic rate" numbers starting 01, 02 or 03 or free-to-caller numbers starting 080. The regulations ban the use of premium rate numbers starting 084, 087 and 09.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/41/made

Complaints can be made via the Citizen's Advice national Consumer Helpline on 0345 404 0506. They can escalate to the relevant local Trading Standards department.

Usage of an 084, 087 or 09 number also breaches the British Parking Association (BPA) Code of Practice.
  • safarmuk
    safarmuk Posts: 648 Forumite
    Complaints can be made via the Citizen's Advice national Consumer Helpline on 0345 404 0506. They can escalate to the relevant local Trading Standards department.

There are PPC's out there blatantly using 0845 numbers on their signs and websites. You can indeed call the Citizens Advice National Consumer Helpline and they will pass it on to Trading Standards who do absolutely nothing. You don't even seem to be able to follow up on a Trading Standards complaint that is made.

Also a lot of companies have switched to the IPC who seem to have no qualms about the use of these numbers.
  • Sorry, Umkomaas, that 01792 number was MY "basic" mistake. It did not appear on my sign. In a PM with A N Other on here, they said it had appeared on theirs though, under a different PPC. I copied and pasted the wrong number into the post above. That's what comes of working on this sort of thing when it is late at night.

Here is the sign of the actual sign in photobucket: http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p714/Zinqua1/20160913_153413%202_zpsbpupgm6l.jpg
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    A very basic search on Google shows that 01792 is a standard telephone code for the Swansea area. Did you not try that? Why do you think it should not be permitted?
  • Yes, safarmuk, thanks. I think it may be illegal now (since 2013) but perhaps only "IF" a help number is provided. On the sign concerning me no Helpline number was provided. And according to the PPC the sign is the "contract".

Apart from the 0871 number only, I have at least two more issues regarding that sign. Use of PO Boxes and no version in Welsh. Not sure if these are worth pursuing. Any thoughts?

http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/p714/Zinqua1/20160913_153413%202_zpsbpupgm6l.jpg
    safarmuk wrote: »
    There are PPC's out there blatantly using 0845 numbers on their signs and websites. You can indeed call the Citizens Advice National Consumer Helpline and they will pass it on to Trading Standards who do absolutely nothing. You don't even seem to be able to follow up on a Trading Standards complaint that is made.

Also a lot of companies have switched to the IPC who seem to have no qualms about the use of these numbers.
  • Thanks Ian011 and others.

I suppose I need to know with certainty if that "Regulation 41" makes it illegal for PPCs to use 0871 numbers on their signs. Which category do PPCs fall into? Traders?

Lining up as many illegalities as I can find for my case, just in case.
    Ian011 wrote: »
    The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013 were published on 13 December 2013 and came into force on 13 June 2014. Regulation 41 requires retailers, traders and passenger transport companies to use "basic rate" numbers starting 01, 02 or 03 or free-to-caller numbers starting 080. The regulations ban the use of premium rate numbers starting 084, 087 and 09.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/41/made

Usage of an 084, 087 or 09 number also breaches the British Parking Association (BPA) Code of Practice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure