House Sitting as an extra income

I am trying to come up with a few ways to earn extra income and one that came across was house sitting.

I noticed quite many adds say you need to actually live in the house but what about spending a few hours (get mail, feed pets etc.) as I am working full time and wouldn't mind spending 5-10 hours per week doing something extra if there is something in the neighbourhood.

I would like to know if someone has any experience in this and could possibly tell me how much you can earn by doing this?

Comments

• Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    It all depends on the client. Some want you to live there because they want the reassurance of you being there all the time. I have done lots of jobs however, where I just went in to feed pets, or pick up post, water plants and just generally check that a pipe hadn't burst etc. Rates are purely down to the client and your agreement. I am sure rates are better if you can prove you have experience, or provide references. If you are going to live in a property, you will need excellent references. The clients need to know they are not taking on a squatter, or someone who will steal, or not do anything they have been asked to do, or have wild parties etc etc. I wouldn't expect to earn a great deal from it, after all- you're not doing much- other than being a presence. It's hardly skilled work, but if you can get in with rich clients- then you will often find the pay is much better!
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• wkdboi
    wkdboi Posts: 155
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    where do you find this work?
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    wkdboi wrote: »
    where do you find this work?

If you're asking me...friends, friends of friends, ads in local publications, because I'm a member of an organisation and someone else within that organisation is looking for the service.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family