How much to have wedding ring made bigger

Apologies if this is not the right forum.

I have noticed that my wedding ring has become quite tight - I'm no longer the sylph-like figure I was when I got married 27 years ago;)

I managed to get it off my finger with a lot of tugging and a lot of shampoo. I now want to have it made bigger - probably 2 sizes. It is a 9ct band with a sort of criss cross cut design on it.

Has anyone any idea how much this should cost (in London).

Comments

• mpet wrote: »
    Apologies if this is not the right forum.

I have noticed that my wedding ring has become quite tight - I'm no longer the sylph-like figure I was when I got married 27 years ago;)

I managed to get it off my finger with a lot of tugging and a lot of shampoo. I now want to have it made bigger - probably 2 sizes. It is a 9ct band with a sort of criss cross cut design on it.

Has anyone any idea how much this should cost (in London).

I had mine made bigger around two years ago and it was about £35 - Samuels Jewellers. Same 9ct band with a pattern design. They just put plain gold into the band but it's ok as I just make sure the plain is underneath my finger ifyswim.
  • When I had some rings made slightly bigger all they needed to do was 'stretch' them - no extra gold needed. I'd get a quote from both an independent jeweller as well as a chain. Can't remember the cost as it was years ago.
  • mpet
    mpet Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks! It doesn't seem as pricey as I thought it might be
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    There is an element of stretch in a ring and the general rule is that it could go up or down fairly easily by 3 sizes.....I would take it to a good jeweller for a quote....an independant jeweller is very good on these types of things and will be able to do the job usually within a couple of hours.
    Ther may be a slight problem however if your ring needs to go up more than 3 sizes or is quite thin as you say there is a pattern on the ring...if this is the case the jeweller will be able to hopefully add a piece of gold to the ring,but this may increase the cost and the time it takes to do.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • mpet
    The ring is a barrell shaped ring (I think that is the correct description), so it may be thick enough to stretch. There is a 'proper' jewellers near me who do repairs (not a chain) so I will take it in there and see what they say.
  • Costs nothing and should save you some money. Go on a diet :)

Not being too sarcastic, but instead of just accepting the fact that you are larger now than before, it might be a catalyst for change ?
  • I think I paid £40 for 2 rings. They were stretched. One is patterned and it looks exactly as it did before. It was an independent jewellers.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • mpet
    Costs nothing and should save you some money. Go on a diet :)

Not being too sarcastic, but instead of just accepting the fact that you are larger now than before, it might be a catalyst for change ?

Yes, I did consider that as an option, but my 'sylph like' comments were a bit tongue in cheek:)

Whilst I certainly have gained a few pounds since I was 24, the problem seems to be more on the knuckle joint - where my skin is getting a bit 'wrinkly' it was very difficult to remove the ring - and now I seem to be plagued with 'hot flushes' my fingers seem to swell a bit when I get hot.
  • mpet
    I think I paid £40 for 2 rings. They were stretched. One is patterned and it looks exactly as it did before. It was an independent jewellers.

I'm hoping that I may be ablt to get the ring stretched as I've tried on another ring and I think it is one size different - so it may be possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure