Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there! I'm amazed at how many apples there are in this area, completely unpicked too. I'm really starting to understand what Alys Fowler was on about :)

Just been doing a little bit of strategic thinking on blogs, how to publicise etc, and also yet more chopping back of the front border - my aim is now to get it emptied of all the meaningless crap, dig it over a little bit (carefully! there's worms in there) put some fresh soil in, plus some bark chippings, and let it all sit over the winter. Then fresh planting come spring.

The following plants have been told they've been invited to stay :) a hazel and 3 roses, which all have to be properly pruned; a heather and a forsythia (if it lives, something funny happened there :( ). The rest is pretty much useless, and not fun to look at either; and oh, there are seasonal bulbs in there too: grape hyacinths for one lot, lily of the valley for another, and those poisonous looking little ones with bright red berries.

Replacements are being investigated via Poyntzfield Herb Nursery, who come highly recommended.

The back garden has had a lift: an online friend with a smallholding has sent me 3 bulbs of the garlic he's been breeding for 10 years :j I'll take some time out from the front border to prepare a nice planting site in the back garden.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ooooo - lovely KC - you've been gardening! - sounds like you have quite the plan for your patch.

I did some indoor gardening over the weekend & culled my windowsill plants & flyladied the sill itself. Also harvested the last yellow pepper & somehow today there are 4 new flowers - hopefully they will turn into peppers too! Just waiting for the last four little chilies to turn red & then that plant can go into the landlord's compost heap - it's not got any leaves left!

...strangely the potted grape hyacith bulb I was keeping to put into the garden planter has decided it's going to flower again - go figure - it's not spring in this hemisphere!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    Options
    I do have plans, RT, whether or not I live here permanently - I want plants that are useful, as well as easily looked after :j the beautiful ones will remain too, like the grape hyacinths, I love them.

Not doing badly today :j done a blog post, worked out how to post on pinterest (got to figure out the rest of it) and done a load of washing, which is on the line.

Pinterest is funny - its like the early days of the web, when there was only dial up, and I didn't get any emails because nobody I knew had an email address :rotfl: and going online meant surfing from one site and one link to another. Pinterest currently feels like a visual version of that :D

On with the rest of my list - phoning business partner, doing and *sending* those birthday cards, listening to the dratted webinar, and texting my sister.

And doing more work on the front border :cool:

Nature Notes: a magpie sat on my windowsill this morning!
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I didn't get any emails because nobody I knew had an email address :rotfl:

Yes, it used to be a major bit of excitement to receive an email!

Nowadays, I do everything possible to cut down on emails, and I still get too many
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Yes, it used to be a major bit of excitement to receive an email!

I remember going away for a week in late 1999 and when I came back and logged into my email account was appalled that there were 12 spam emails waiting for me:rotfl:. Now I get that many in a couple of hours:mad:
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I remember when we first got individual emails at work. I woke up one morning to my alarm and felt really rough. It was a 35 mile commute (not hellish, as all motorway, but not good when you have flu) and emailed my boss to say I wouldn't be in and why (It was about 6.30am) and went back to bed - thinking the email would suffice as I wouldn't be able to speak to anyone in person until about 8.15am. I was woken by a phone call from the office at about 11am wondering where I was - my boss hadn't checked his email - he apparently did it once a day after lunch!!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Options
    And so it goes .... nowadays, I sometimes get complaints (by email) if I haven't answered an email within an hour :D between checking the answerphone, the email, and the mobile for texts, its quite a business these days :rotfl:

Right, today is my delayed Wednesday work, but fortunately not too much cleaning to do beforehand.

I have a cat blog ready to post, and more visuals to [STRIKE]play with[/STRIKE] research thanks to lovely peeps on here, you know who you are :j:j:j

Managed a fair bit the last few days - one blog post ready, another half dozen or so plotted out, pinterest populated (very odd place, but my smallholder friend has also joined, oh dear, I hope I haven't misled him :eek: ) cards sent, even part of the dratted CPD has been done.

To do:
    - a bit more tidiness is called for.
    - ever such a slight amount of cleaning is called for :D
    - blogposts R Us.
    - mucking about with Flickr cat images Is Also Us :D
    - unfortunately, fingernails bent below the quick Is Also Us :( never put thick gardening gloves on and muck around with digging up roots when you have your nails long :eek: they'll recover but still ...
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Huh! I posted something, and it never joined the thread ... weird.

Anyway, I've just been starting to faff about on linked in for the cat blog, as pinterest is making me boggle ... and on the bit where they say "these are people you might know" they've listed the boyfriend I had when I was a first year college student :eek: Obviously, I left him behind a long time ago :rotfl: so I've never talked about him online :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: how on earth have they picked him up as a potential connection of mine??? Unless *he's* been talking about *me* :D:D:D I'm going to go for a walk around the block to recover - I have actual paid work this afternoon :cool:

I only need 20 more points at you gov :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Aaaawww, Karmacat, maybe he's been carrying a torch all these years:lovethoug

Actually, if you had to complete a profile on the website with places you were educated etc they might just have dug him out from the various 'matches'. Did you both attended the same college or was he just the boyfriend you had when you were at that college? Not being nosy, just curious, as I get a bit nonplussed when people I haven't had any contact with for donkey's years suddenly pop up online:eek:
  • Karmacat
    edited 23 October 2015 at 1:48PM
    Options
    Aaaawww, Karmacat, maybe he's been carrying a torch all these years:lovethoug
    Maybe he has :rotfl: though I doubt it, as he threw me over, not t'other way round, the !!!!!! :D
    Actually, if you had to complete a profile on the website with places you were educated etc they might just have dug him out from the various 'matches'. Did you both attended the same college or was he just the boyfriend you had when you were at that college? Not being nosy, just curious, as I get a bit nonplussed when people I haven't had any contact with for donkey's years suddenly pop up online:eek:
    Oh thats a good point! We were both at the same college, and its in my CV there that I attended that college. Thanks for that!

The next bloke I went out with there worked for the Ordnance Survey, and if *he* pops up, I'll be completely freaked out :D

Anyway, linked with someone who used to be on here earlier this week (:hello: ) joined a couple of groups, and put up a proper pic - actually, the ginger cat I use for the facebook banner :j it's a beautiful photo. I'm going to go bit by bit on this, I'm not going to link linkedin with my blog, that might be a bit too much. But the odd post won't hurt.

ETA - anyone want to link up? :D I can't guarantee to keep up this level of enthusiasm though :o but even people who post there don't seem to post very often ... or maybe I'm just in a quiet corner. The cats group has 600 members, I'll soon find out, I guess!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport